NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Sometimes I just don't understand the logic of the ebay seller

This is another rant about the lack of common sense by some sellers on ebay. Today's rant has to do with packing and shipping an item.

I bought a card on ebay earlier this week. A 1941 Goudey Bob Muncrief that I won for $11.53. Shipping was $5 which is far too high but I've gotten used to sellers who try to gouge buyers on shipping and factored this into my bid. Total for the delivered card was $16.53 which I was comfortable with.

Last night I got one of those little slips in my mailbox telling me I needed to stop by the post office and sign for a package. This was a bit baffling since I didn't remember buying anything which should have required a signature. I picked up my card this morning and this genius had purchased delivery confirmation, insurance and required an adult signature on my $11.53 purchase. Total shipping charge on the label is $7.65. He actually lost money on the $5 shipping fee he charged me.

Seriously? Insurance, DC AND Adult Signature required? How paranoid can you be?

He did save on the packaging though. Rather than use new packaging he took a portion of a previously used bubble mailer. not the whole bubble mailer but just exactly enough to fit around the semi-rigid holder. Because it is an odd size I'm sure he had to pay extra for shipping as well. He then wrapped the whole Dr. Frankenstein's creation in tape and saran wrap to make sure it didn't get wet I guess. The thing was so small that the labels for DC, INS and Postage cover up 80% of the front. When I got it I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to get into the thing before I gave up and just got out the scissors. Fortunately the raw card stayed in it's holder so I didn't cut off a corner.

I feel better now but remain amazed he couldn't ship a single $11.53 card for less than $7.65.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Banned

The guy probably got jobbed a time or two by people claiming they didnt get an item, or that it was damaged, etc. It only takes once to make someone cautious.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-05-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
The guy probably got jobbed a time or two by people claiming they didnt get an item, or that it was damaged, etc. It only takes once to make someone cautious.
+1, totally agree. Have it happen to me as a buyer and seller. I will not send anything without DC.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
+1, totally agree. Have it happen to me as a buyer and seller. I will not send anything without DC.
DC, OK. No problem. Insurance? Do the math. You'd have to lose about 15% of your items to make that pay off for you in this case. Adult signature required? Give me a break.

Also, apply some common sense. When the buyer has 2400+ feedback and 100% rating it's probably a safe bet this guy hasn't been building up feedback to steal his $11.53.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 04-05-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
This is another rant about the lack of common sense by some sellers on ebay. Today's rant has to do with packing and shipping an item.

I bought a card on ebay earlier this week. A 1941 Goudey Bob Muncrief that I won for $11.53. Shipping was $5 which is far too high but I've gotten used to sellers who try to gouge buyers on shipping and factored this into my bid. Total for the delivered card was $16.53 which I was comfortable with.

Last night I got one of those little slips in my mailbox telling me I needed to stop by the post office and sign for a package. This was a bit baffling since I didn't remember buying anything which should have required a signature. I picked up my card this morning and this genius had purchased delivery confirmation, insurance and required an adult signature on my $11.53 purchase. Total shipping charge on the label is $7.65. He actually lost money on the $5 shipping fee he charged me.

He did save on the packaging though. Rather than use new packaging he took a portion of a previously used bubble mailer. not the whole bubble mailer but just exactly enough to fit around the semi-rigid holder. Because it is an odd size I'm sure he had to pay extra for shipping as well. He then wrapped the whole Dr. Frankenstein's creation in tape and saran wrap to make sure it didn't get wet I guess. The thing was so small that the labels for DC, INS and Postage cover up 80% of the front. When I got it I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to get into the thing before I gave up and just got out the scissors. Fortunately the raw card stayed in it's holder so I didn't cut off a corner.

I feel better now but remain amazed he couldn't ship a single $11.53 card for less than $7.65.
Don't blame the seller necessarily. My brother and I have been burned so many times this last year on Ebay by buyers claiming to have never received their item or received it damaged , that we never ship anything without having someone sign for it. We just started this in March and have not been burned once since.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
DC, OK. No problem. Insurance? Do the math. You'd have to lose about 15% of your items to make that pay off for you in this case. Adult signature required? Give me a break.

Also, apply some common sense. When the buyer has 2400+ feedback and 100% rating it's probably a safe bet this guy hasn't been building up feedback to steal his $11.53.
It was $11, I'm sure they really didn't care, probably taking a loss on the card for having it sell that low, eBay fees etc, to maintain a good image and avoid any conflict. IMO
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

I completely understand Brian's frustration, and I respect his opinion, but...

There are ALL kinds of sellers, and all kinds of buyers, on ebay. You will never know exactly what's going on in their heads, but I really think that as long as they state their shipping up front, the buyer should (as Brian did) take that into account in their bidding, and then as long as the item arrives safely....just enjoy the item you won.

I got chewed out right and left by a buyer, because I charged $5.00 for priority insured shipping. I said "sorry", refunded ALL of his shipping, then made sure he could see the actual shipping cost on the label. No, I received no apologies, and I'm sure he dinged me for excessive shipping.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Agreed that this is a bizarre MO overall, but I do double-use bubble mailers all the time. Wrap the card securely in a used one, which I then stick into a new one. One of the most cost-effective way to package cards, in my opinion, particularly graded cards. Never had a damaged card or complaint in years of (though not particularly high volume) selling.

Last edited by ChiSoxCardboard; 04-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM

Maybe the seller put the card into his company's mail. Didn't pay anything and made $5 for "shipping"...
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM

The post office has changed their fee structure over the past few years (with zones, first-class parcel vs first-class letter, etc,...), so I think the cheapest it costs to send a bubble mailer package is $2.25 (I may be wrong, though)

I agree that $5 is a little high on postage, but it's actual great that he used the extra services. Why should you care if he over spent on those services for you to get the card ? I would love a seller to do that. I've received a card loose in an envelope on occasion.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Totally agree. I never ship a thing without using Insurance and delivery confirmation.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Zach

I have no problem with sellers sending to me with insurance and DC, I just can't stand signature requirement. I am never home to sign those, and I do not need my finacee signing for it either. Plus I have to wait an additional day or more before I can go to the post office to pick up the new Gem that I have been waiting on, and signature delivery just slows down the process of me having my new card
Old 04-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Ken McMillan

Depends on the value of the card as to whether I insure it or go for delivery confirmation. As a rule anything under $40.00 I send first class in a flat rate box and just ask for the seller to e-mail me when it arrives. Only had one package damaged in shipping and the buyer was very gracious in not asking for anything as he really wanted the card and may or may not have it reslabbed. It also depends on the person I am dealing with. For the most part here, people from Net54 are pretty easy going. Guess I would be more careful if I didn't know a persons reputation. Common sense is the rule!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

zljones right on with that fiancee comment. I don't need anyone else signing for or knowing what I have purchased.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
zljones right on with that fiancee comment. I don't need anyone else signing for or knowing what I have purchased.
Especially since I tell her I am broke sometimes and I do not want her to know it's because I bought cards, then I got to here it all night and for days after.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Kenny Cole

So long as I get the card for what I paid, including shipping, in a timely manner, I'm good to go with it. I'm not a fan of going to the post office, but doing that is far better than having some idiot toss my package somewhere around my porch without even letting me know its there, which has sometimes happened when it was shipped via UPS. Now THAT is upsetting.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I always save and reuse packaging; IMO nothing wrong with that, but then again, I'm from tree-hugging CA and try to recycle as much as I can.

I follow the paypal guidelines--everything under $250 is getting DC and everything over gets a signature. Sorry, but that's the only protection I have as a seller over the "I didn't get it" fraudsters.

I can totally sympathize with the seller--he's probably taken a few hits and wants to make sure it never happens again. As long as the card got there safely and you knew the total cost before you bid, I don't think you have anything to complain about.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Dan Bretta

This is a result of ebay's war on sellers. Other than the fact you had to go to the post office because you weren't home to sign for it, you should be happy that this seller made the best effort possible on his end to get your item to you safely. I'm also not sure why anyone would be mad about someone reusing a bubble mailer...I do it all the time..usually as inner packing though.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Though admittedly this is somewhat overkill, I don't get the criticism. I'll take this any day over a seller who uses mailing as a profit center, e.g. charging $5 and mailing using a first class postage stamp.