NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2002, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: David 

I see that PSA/DNA will now authenticate, grade and encapsulate autographed trading cards. The rate is flat: $20 per autographed card, no matter whether it's Ty Cobb or Jose Canseco. I don't plan on using the service and have never had a card slabbed, but $20 for a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth sounds like a deal.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

I can also safely bet you that in a short time GAI will have the a similar service.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: leon

I still don't like their marketing. To me it sounds rather scientific, the whole "PSA/DNA" thing, which it isn't. It is basically a COA or LOA or just someones guarantee that they believe it is what they say it is....How does "Leon/DNA" sound.....? regards all

Old 12-12-2002, 06:06 AM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: Jay Miller

It sounds like PISS/DNA

Old 12-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: Tom B

As long as there is no blue dress involved......

Old 12-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: warshawlaw

For a while in the late 80's I went through a binge of collecting autographs on cards. I have quite a few of now-deceased HOFers and popular players that I've always wanted to get encapsulated for display and protection (since I always used presentable but lower grade cards for autographs, I don't expect good grades).

Given PSA's sagging reputation for quality, and the quality of their holders, I'll wait for GAI or SGC to offer the service.

Old 12-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

For most who are sending in an autographed Goudey to PSA/DNA, I would guess that the number grade is a side issue. I think the service is mostly based on Spence/Grad not the grading.

From what I've seen, PSA/DNA can put that little sticker in aesthetically unpleasing areas. I saw where it was placed on the front of a beautiful vintage photo (that also happened to be autographed). Not sure why it wasn't placed on the back. Excpet it to be placed on the card if you don't say otherwise.

I once removed a PSA/DNA sticker from an item (For horrid, evil purposes I can assure you). I will testify that it is taper evident.

Old 12-12-2002, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

One thing I never understood about CU was the geographical logistics. Spence is in PA, CU is in California and Grad is in Chicago(?). Unless the turnaround is damn slow, I don't understand how a card is judged authentic by Spence and graded by a grader (though obviously it's done). Perhaps there is a lot of travelling and meeting at mutual shows. Perhaps Steve Grad is feverously studying the grading charts in a Beckett monthly as we speak.

I once asked Spence about the logistics of examining stuff for a MastroNet auction-- but it's just name dropping (impressed?), as I can't remember what was his answer.

Old 12-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: Tom

send scans back to Spence and Grad and they only request things they are not completely sure about......JMO.......

Old 12-12-2002, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: scgaynor

I have some of these graded signed cards on ebay now so I have an understanding of the process.

Jimmy and Steve are both in PA. The cards are submitted to PA, the autographs are authenticated there, and then the cards are sent from PA to California where they are slabbed and graded. From CA they are returned to the owner.

Scott

Old 12-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Scott, thanks for the input. Still, it sounds kinda goofy sending a card from PA to CA for it to get graded and authenticed.

Old 12-12-2002, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

I wonder if a kid in Kansas watches a plane flying over, wondering if it is carrying his card to California.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Default PSA/DNA

Posted By: scgaynor

David, I agree.

I would think you could pay some kid $8 an hour to slab cards in PA just as easily as CA. Most of the signed cards that I have seen are only getting 5's, 6's, and 7's since they were well handled by the person getting the signature in the 1st place.

Scott