NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Holy, t206 Sweeney no B version on ebay

Posted By: Paul

This is the first time I have ever seen this card.
However, I have a question, do they really as rare as T206 Doyle NY Nat'l or Ty Cobb backs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1980206361

Old 12-10-2002, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig

I'm sure we've covered this before, with a number of different opinions certainly. I think it's fairly obvious that this card is simply a normal card with the red ink missing from the process. Now this certainly makes it rare, but also certainly puts it into the category of error vs. variation. Is Scott's Joss on Ebay to be considered the rare 'brown and yellow' variation? I think not. It's not a regularly issued variation, it's an error. My two cents.

Old 12-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Many times when I refer to a t206 card as an "error", I put the word in quotes because many collectors refer to a broad category of cards as "errors", when in actuality most are not errors, but rather printers scrap. If the "problem" is caught before the card has the back ad printed and/or is cut, I consider it to be "printers scrap". But this is all just semantics anyway - call it whatever you wish.

The main difference between the "brown/yellow" cards (they have red as well, but in a very small quantity) and the "missing red" cards is that the "brown/yellows" mistake was caught after the back was printed with the Sweet Caporal ad, but before the sheet was cut. The "missing red" cards made it through the entire production process, because I guess the problem was not as easily spotted.

The "missing red" problem is really interesting to me, because if a card has really heavy red ink, it is more appealing to the eye and might be worth a little more, and if it has none at all it is "rare". But if it has anything inbetween it is just considered "poor printing". There are plenty of examples of the Tris Speaker with very little red ink, but they don't command a premium except to a few collectors.

A card usually isn't defined as an error unless something was done erroneously and was then corrected in a subsequent production run. I personally wouldn't consider an ink trough running out as an error, or even the ink never being used as an error, but I don't have a real problem with others considering it as such. Now, if they printed a red "D" and then corrected it to a "B", that would be an error and no one could really debate it. If they printed a red "D" and left it that way for all production runs, never correcting it, it would still be an error, but no one would care or pay a premium. The "Irv Young" instead of "Cy Young" is an example, or printing Ed Reulbach's name with a "K". Like I said, though, it's all semantics.

Old 12-11-2002, 02:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

They are around. I have seen about a half dozen of them, I also have several of the other Boston players with no red ink therefore missing their "B". I do not consider it an error but they are neat to save, escpecially when you have the set darn near complete (no wagner or doyle) and you are just looking for something to add to it! I have lost 2 of these on ebay, 1 that Art won and 1 recently (a few months ago) that david b vintage won over me.

There is no comparison to the Doyle T206 in terms of rare, the Doyle is much more rare. There are also many other color variations in the T206 set. I recently sold a bresnahan portrait with no red in the STL. Most of the brooklyn players can be found missing the blue. Not errors but the ink ran out and a few got stamped out so they are fairly scarce. dan.

Old 12-11-2002, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Many of the red backgrounds come out as orange.

Old 12-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

The only problem with this auction is the card was graded by PSA who does not know the difference between a real card and an altered one. I am not saying anything about this card just I would not trust PSA to grade a card of this importance. Remember that Nodgrass that PSA graded and turned out to be a fake. Be careful on this one. Rob

Old 12-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Robert,
No reason to be careful on this one, because it's legit. You can't compare the "reported" Nodgrass error with this card, one can be altered while the other cannot. Besides there are lots of similar printing errors on all of the Boston cards as well as with several Brooklyn players. While I agree Psa has made some mistakes,so do all grading card companies, including the Vintage industry leader SGC. I wish PSA would correct there mistakes as well SGC does, but they aren't totally incompetent. later brian

Old 12-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

This is for real! The print is being removed from a white background on the nodgrass's, ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT! Never have I seen color removed. Also, I won this card from Pat (this seller) 2 years ago on ebay, we never completed the deal because it was alot of money and he wouldn't give me a real address to send payment to and he had low FB and he is in Canada. The card is legit. The graded Nodgrass's are NO GOOD! unless part of the right side of the S is still there, and it better darn site be the batting pose!