NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 12:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Default Arrest In Jackie Robinson Statue Theft

As predicted: "The investigation has not revealed any evidence indicating that this was a hate-motivated crime," said Aaron Moses of the Wichita Police Department. "We believe this theft was motivated by the financial gain of scrapping common metal."
Old 02-13-2024, 12:22 PM
Todd Schultz

That's good news, as is this from the end of an article in the Hays Post:

"Lutz, whose friend, the artist John Parsons, made the statue before his death, said the mold is still viable and anticipated that a replacement can be erected within a matter of months."
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
As predicted: "The investigation has not revealed any evidence indicating that this was a hate-motivated crime," said Aaron Moses of the Wichita Police Department. "We believe this theft was motivated by the financial gain of scrapping common metal."
No, Can't be. So many were so sure it was race related too. Heck, they even said to think differently would be like living in denial and placing your head in the sand.

https://www.kwch.com/2024/02/13/poli...n-statue-case/
Old 02-13-2024, 12:48 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
That's good news, as is this from the end of an article in the Hays Post:

"Lutz, whose friend, the artist John Parsons, made the statue before his death, said the mold is still viable and anticipated that a replacement can be erected within a matter of months."
That's good to hear.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:49 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Shocking. Who could have possibly foreseen that shoving a political agenda immediately without any evidence whatsoever to support it wouldn't pan out in the end? I wonder if our 2 extremists who advocated that those who didn't share their politics to be made "out of the way and gone" from the population will apologize or own up to being wrong. My money is on "No"; the agenda overcomes any and all objective reality.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:57 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Glad they caught the scumbag.
Many people made themselves look very foolish on the previous thread. They won't apologize and sadly, they won't learn anything either.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:02 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Many people made themselves look very foolish on the previous thread. They won't apologize and sadly, they won't learn anything either.
I personally try to accomplish that at least once a day.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:04 PM
Brendan Mullen

Shocking. Who could have possibly foreseen that shoving a political agenda immediately without any evidence whatsoever to support it wouldn't pan out in the end?

Yes, exactly.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:09 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
What's foolish is parading this bit of news around as if it's some sort of victory. Not just foolish but bizarre.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 02-13-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
What's foolish is parading this bit of news around as if it's some sort of victory. Not just foolish but bizarre.
Sounds like someone has their head in the sand.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:23 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Shocking. Who could have possibly foreseen that shoving a political agenda immediately without any evidence whatsoever to support it wouldn't pan out in the end? I wonder if our 2 extremists who advocated that those who didn't share their politics to be made "out of the way and gone" from the population will apologize or own up to being wrong. My money is on "No"; the agenda overcomes any and all objective reality.
Quote:
Took only 20 minutes for "No" to turn out correct. I get it though, when you shovel a BS political narrative into non-political things and make grandiose claims free of any actual supportable facts, you kind of have to stick with your losing horse even when it's inevitably proven wrong. 'This incident supports my cause and if that turns out to be a lie then it does not matter and my cause is still right and it's silly to refute my original claims'.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:33 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

This is the weirdest thread. And in the wrong place.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:45 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
What money?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-13-2024, 01:46 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Sounds like someone has their head in the sand.

Or where the sun don't shine

Old 02-13-2024, 02:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
What money?
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/my+money+is+on
Old 02-13-2024, 02:59 PM
Dave

Aren't there a bunch of threads on this very topic already???
Old 02-13-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Aren't there a bunch of threads on this very topic already???
The first two (one of them was locked) were innuendo, false claims, political agenda, and political narrative, this one is facts and truth.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:36 PM
Dave

Old 02-13-2024, 03:59 PM
Mark

Quote:

Avoid attributing to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity. I work in the electrical power industry and it’s still common for people to break into substations to steal copper. There are a lot of idiots out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2024, 04:29 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealme View Post
There are a lot of idiots out there.
More than I could ever have even possibly imagined.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-13-2024, 04:37 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

I belong to a beercan site that banned any political conversation about 10 years ago ... turned out to be an excellent idea .
Bunch of people-that aren’t going to change their minds , running around in circles getting angrier and angrier.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:47 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
I belong to a beercan site that banned any political conversation about 10 years ago ... turned out to be an excellent idea .
Bunch of people-that aren’t going to change their minds , running around in circles getting angrier and angrier.
Haha...yep! If I had some bacon, I'd have some bacon and eggs, if I had some eggs.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:51 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
According to the site rules, politics is one of the banned topics here as well.

https://www.net54baseball.com/faq.ph...testfaq#faq_12

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-13-2024, 05:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
And a card.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53T Robinson.jpg (179.5 KB, 611 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-13-2024, 05:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Nice under-graded Jackie, Phil. I wonder if it being graded in Florida caused its grade to be repressed? Bastards.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:45 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Nice under-graded Jackie, Phil. I wonder if it being graded in Florida caused its grade to be repressed? Bastards.
Ha!

-
Old 02-13-2024, 07:10 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Yes, racism and bigotry is hilarious! Unless you perceive yourself to be the victim, of course, in which case it's very serious, right? As you wrote the other day:

"There are pro-Hamas/Hezbollah/Houthi riots all over cities in America right now. There are Michigan religious leaders praising the Oct 7 terror attacks in Israel. Bridges, train stations and airports in NYC have been shut down by protesters calling for the genocide of Jews and the destruction of Israel and America. I'm fully armed walking to my office now, as there have been violent protests right in front of my building. If any of the protesters believed I was Jewish I'd be attacked in a second.

You'll excuse me if I find this more concerning than a fucking statue that was stolen, the political motive behind it still unknown. I can promise you that the people calling for my head outside my office last week were not Republicans. The country is divided, is my point, and the Jackie Robinson statue being stolen is not the best example of it."
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry

Last edited by BobbyStrawberry; 02-13-2024 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:37 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

The original two threads were not political at first. ALL agreed it was awful the statue was taken and wanted to see it replaced, many giving money to the fund to rebuild it.

It was then that the political posts started happening with people saying this had to be racist etc. Some of those same people are posting on this thread some of the same stuff which shows they will not ever learn. They are probably disappointed in the truth.

No intelligent person denies racism exists but most intelligent people don't look for it behind every corner either. Not one of them will come on here and admit they jumped to conclusions and now look stupid for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
According to the site rules, politics is one of the banned topics here as well.

https://www.net54baseball.com/faq.ph...testfaq#faq_12

Last edited by campyfan39; 02-13-2024 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:38 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Yes, racism and bigotry is hilarious! Unless you perceive yourself to be the victim, of course, in which case it's very serious, right? As you wrote the other day:

"There are pro-Hamas/Hezbollah/Houthi riots all over cities in America right now. There are Michigan religious leaders praising the Oct 7 terror attacks in Israel. Bridges, train stations and airports in NYC have been shut down by protesters calling for the genocide of Jews and the destruction of Israel and America. I'm fully armed walking to my office now, as there have been violent protests right in front of my building. If any of the protesters believed I was Jewish I'd be attacked in a second.

You'll excuse me if I find this more concerning than a fucking statue that was stolen, the political motive behind it still unknown. I can promise you that the people calling for my head outside my office last week were not Republicans. The country is divided, is my point, and the Jackie Robinson statue being stolen is not the best example of it."
Except there was no racism with regard to the theft of the statue, you pathetic, race-baiting asshole.

Last edited by calvindog; 02-13-2024 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:40 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
The original two threads were not political at first. ALL agreed it was awful the statue was taken and wanted to see it replaced, many giving money to the fund to rebuild it.

It was then that the political posts started happening with people saying this had to be racist etc. Some of those same people are posting on this thread some of the same stuff which shows they will not ever learn. They are probably disappointed in the truth.

No intelligent person denies racism exists but most intelligent people don't look for it behind every corner either. Not one of them will come on here and admit they jumped to conclusions and now look stupid for it.
+1 Chris.

-
Old 02-13-2024, 07:48 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Except there was no racism with regard to the theft of the statue, you pathetic, race-baiting asshole.
Thank you for showing this entire forum your true colors. Pathetic, angry dipshits like you always do eventually.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Thank you for showing this entire forum your true colors. Pathetic, angry dipshits like you always do eventually.
Uh, you're too stupid to realize that you are continuing to make an ass out of yourself. At least the other morons in the thread knew enough to keep away and keep their mouths shut. Not you.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

The guy who is demonstrably factually wrong should not be calling anyone a dipshit lol. Nobody is saying actual racism is funny, some are saying the idiots who screech abut fictional racism even after their false and completely made-up narrative has been debunked are funny. There is a discernible, actual reality and not every event that happens is useful to one's radical political agenda.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:06 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Quote:
Uh, you're too stupid to realize that you are continuing to make an ass out of yourself. At least the other morons in the thread knew enough to keep away and keep their mouths shut. Not you.
+1
Old 02-13-2024, 09:29 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
+1
Old 02-13-2024, 10:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
It's an exercise in futility, Jeffery. Bobby's got it all figured out, knows what's going on and if you don't agree with him nor repeat the same words as him, then you're a far right wing conspiracy theorist.
Never seen the likes of it in my life. Everything his favorite political party and their funded news stations tells him to believe, he does, and he's the first to jump on board spreading the falsehoods without questioning any of it. He's basically a brainwashed fool but thinks and believes he's got it all figured out because the T.V. man told him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brainwash.thumb.JPG.72776f18a50402142e770050fabe64db.jpg (48.0 KB, 475 views)

Last edited by irv; 02-14-2024 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:36 PM

Actually I respect him for continually coming back and taking all of this abuse and sticking to his guns, unlike the other bomb throwers in the first two threads who have skipped town after the inevitable truth finally came out.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:26 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Actually I respect him for continually coming back and taking all of this abuse and sticking to his guns, unlike the other bomb throwers in the first two threads who have skipped town after the inevitable truth finally came out.

+1! Most posters have muted them, but I enjoy to see other...shall we say "perspectives "

And I quote "there is only ONE reason to steal a statue of Jackie Robinson "
-don't remember who posted it off hand, but it stuck with me.

This is what the "new America" is about. AND if you don't agree with it, you are (insert whatever finger pointing name you want here) everything is skewed toward and agenda, and you can't even have a friendly debate anymore

Kumbaya my lord....kumbaya...

Old 02-14-2024, 06:59 AM
Bill Cauley

It'll be interesting to see how many more people get rounded up in all of this. My gut tells me that this guy who was arrested isn't likely to keep his mouth shut and will talk to lessen the charges if at all possible. If not him, any one of the other people that may have been involved or at the potential location "where others were present." Looking at his FB profile, he also has 6 kids. Sucks that this guy's actions will now have a negative impact on their lives.

"Asked how many others might face charges, Moses said three people were seen on the surveillance video. He also noted that the statue was taken to a location where others were present."

Alderete, who is jailed on $150,000 bond, faces charges of felony theft and aggravated criminal damage to property in the statue case. He also was charged Monday with identity theft and making false information in an October 2022 incident involving a pawn ticket, the complaint said.

Police provided no details about the case that led to his arrest. But online court records also show he also is charged with kidnapping and aggravated burglary. The criminal complaint said that he entered a Wichita home on Feb. 1 with the intent to kidnap someone as part of an effort to interfere with law enforcement.

Alderete also has a criminal record that includes burglary and theft, state correction department records show.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...rrest-00141294

Last edited by BCauley; 02-14-2024 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:17 AM

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/o...284887722.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...binson-statue/

https://kansasreflector.com/2024/02/...te-the-motive/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...r/72435980007/

And finally a sane rational view.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/media-b...o-metal-thief/
Old 02-14-2024, 08:28 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or maybe the takeaway here is not to prejudge?

This thread and the last one are shocking. We all agree that the theft of the statue is a bad thing, right? So what the hell are we doing? The fact that the theft was just a theft should be a relief, not an excuse to go at each other again. A big reason why this country is tearing itself apart is that on social media everyone is a tough guy and no one can turn the other cheek, be a good winner, or a gracious loser anymore. Instead, we go after each other over and over again as viciously as possible over everything and anything, in ways that we never would do in person, and in the process create permanent visceral enemies, for no good reason, just having the last word. It's childish and destructive and I wish it was not a part of this board.

Oh, and Phil, that card is really, really nice. Only way it could look better is in my collection.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-14-2024, 09:53 AM
Scott Russell

I will say, my gut instinct was that there was likely a racial angle to it. Of course lacking any evidence and/or the ability to read the minds of people who hadn't even been identified, I kept my opinion to myself. Kinda glad I did now.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-14-2024 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:13 AM
Paul
P@ul F0wler

Quote:
100% this. Lots of virtue signalers here and out there, though. Lots of people completely willing to look away and deny facts to follow the cult err, I mean narrative.

AF15

Last edited by ChasingPaper; 02-14-2024 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:21 AM

This whole topic has moved past popcorn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omyac.jpg (45.8 KB, 351 views)

Last edited by BioCRN; 02-14-2024 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:39 AM

The demand for racism far outweighs the supply.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:43 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Why do people seem so angry at the people who thought this might be race-related? Is it really that far fetched? And why are you treating this as such a victory? Kinda pathetic if you ask me.

Last edited by luciobar1980; 02-14-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2024, 10:49 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
This whole topic has moved past popcorn.
The popcorn has been replaced with Kool aid. The purpose of this entire thread can be summed up with,

"See? I told you antiblack racism no longer exists! And this one news item proves it!"

Most Americans reading about the theft and desecration of a statue of a civil rights icon will consider the possibility that hate and racism were a motive. Only those sequestering themselves in the far-right echo chamber will see that as odd, or as one poster suggested, deserving of an apology. (Lol!)
Old 02-14-2024, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=Exhibitman;2412787]Or maybe the takeaway here is not to prejudge?

This thread and the last one are shocking. We all agree that the theft of the statue is a bad thing, right? So what the hell are we doing? The fact that the theft was just a theft should be a relief, not an excuse to go at each other again. A big reason why this country is tearing itself apart is that on social media everyone is a tough guy and no one can turn the other cheek, be a good winner, or a gracious loser anymore. Instead, we go after each other over and over again as viciously as possible over everything and anything, in ways that we never would do in person, and in the process create permanent visceral enemies, for no good reason, just having the last word. It's childish and destructive and I wish it was not a part of this board.

+ 1,000,000 --- Brian Powell
Old 02-14-2024, 11:15 AM
Ben North

I am happy they caught at least one of the people involved. Now they can let him go and give him and his family a new house and a nice monthly check so he doesn't have to do something like this again.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:21 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Why do people seem so angry at the people who thought this might be race-related? Is it really that far fetched? And why are you treating this as such a victory? Kinda pathetic if you ask me.
The problem is NOT that people raised the possibility it was race related, not at all.

The problem is that they insisted it was about race, said people who waited for or requested evidence were racists and stupid, and one of them even said "Biggest issue this country faces is getting people with antiquated values out of the way and gone,", which 2 more leftists then co-signed and +1'd. How would half the country be made 'out of the way and gone'? Can you imagine what would happen if a person who was not a leftist said this and expressed a wish for the deaths or removal of half the country?

The level of anger, absurd accusations, sheer stupidity without any evidence whatsoever for their claims, and even violent wishes is going to get a response when they turn out, yet again, to be 100% factually wrong. All in all, considering the absurdist and violent claims, the responses in this thread are incredibly mild. Nobody has gone even 1% as far as they did.
Closed Thread