NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2024, 02:15 PM

Default Plastic for Cards, I can't Stress Enough!

Please if any of you long time collectors have cards in old top loads or card savers that are turning yellow from the acid in the plastic, please rescue your collectibles. I can't stress enough that it can eat the cards.

Those small green parts still in the holder are from the front of the Candy Card.

See attached:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240209_160827047_HDR.jpg (201.9 KB, 831 views)
Old 02-11-2024, 02:58 PM

Terrible!

I assume that the deterioration of that toploader did not cause any problems with nearby cards or any other cards stored in the same box?
Old 02-11-2024, 03:07 PM
Fred

Wow - thank you for the heads up. I have cards in that type of holder and they've been there for a long time. When I get a chance (soon) I'm going to start checking what I have. I'm hoping that the fact I live in a low humidity area will result in minimal damage. It would really blow to have a nice card damaged like the one in your post.

I have a lot of cards in penny sleeves and then those are inserted into other more substantial plastic sleeves. Does anybody know if the penny sleeves are relatively immune to plastic decay?
Old 02-11-2024, 03:09 PM

Because I've only had a few conversations with other people about it I consider my view to be mostly anecdotal, but even with badly yellowed Card Savers and toploaders the penny sleeve inside them was 100% clean and protective of the card.

I know there's a sizable camp of people that view a penny sleeve as unnecessary in a Card Saver and even some that view it unnecessary in a toploader, but since I started replacing yellowing CSav/toploader in the late-90s into the 2000s I don't mind the extra plastic.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:20 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I wonder if this also applies to old photos? I have my snapshot collection all in small-Large card savers (basically brand new).

I've tried researching do card savers bend cards/photos over time (as they usually are not straight) do they stick etc. Very little info I can find. The small amount of info I've read say it's climate related. And lots of first hand accounts I read say their yellowed plastic holders are perfectly fine.

I have an unopened hanger pack of top loaders from the 80s that seem perfectly fine and are still clear (as clear as 80s plastic can be). So I'm really not sure what to think.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 02-11-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:29 PM

My question is if it was more a case of being stored in a humid environment rather than the fault of the holder.

I have discovered boxes upon boxes of cards in top loaders from my youth that have all turned that fetching shade of nicotine. All were kept in an ideal, unchanging clime for decades, and all were fine. The top loaders looked like a disaster, but the cards, once removed, were as bright and beautiful as a tranquil sunrise. And, because they were from my youth, this predated when the 1-2 punch of the penny sleeve/top loader came into play. These cards were naked inside their top loaders, so had been exposed to over 30 years of direct contact with the plastic.

In fact, just yesterday, I discovered a stack of goodies that had sat in a corner, forgotten about since the days when you could say "Bel Biv Devoe" and people didn't immediately think you were having a grand mal seizure. A small pile of 52T, and for my fellow hockey lovers, a pair of Turk Broda rookies. Nicotine top loaders. All was well.

Then again, the OP was using some sort of off-brand Card Saver, and I'm going on about top loaders. Perhaps my musings amount to apples vs. oranges because of this? Who knows.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-11-2024 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 03:39 PM
Jerry Tate

Default E98

E98s seem bad about that for some reason...Jerry
Old 02-11-2024, 05:09 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
E98s seem bad about that for some reason...Jerry
100% agree, I've seen it quite often with E98s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 02-11-2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 05:19 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Also

Also had some “Magic Marker” autographed photos have the marker bleed into the plastic page wrecking the autograph
Old 02-11-2024, 06:59 PM
Sean McGinty

(Spit-takes a mouthful of coffee mid-sip, drops mug and tablet, runs to the closet to check on his cards in top loaders).
Old 02-12-2024, 06:45 AM
octavio ranzola

I always recycle my cards in new holders ,,this was a good topic
Old 02-12-2024, 01:28 PM
Jay Cee

Great post and hi Dan. After coming home from a card show back in the 90s, I tried taking a card out of a tightly screwed down plastic holder. The ink on the card decided to stay on the holder instead of the cardboard. I think most all cards should be in Mylar sleeves and then protected by a thicker shell. If cards are stuck to plastic holders, apply some science on them and put em in the freezer for a bit. It should do the trick for you to get the card out without damage.

Last edited by BeanTown; 02-12-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not that it would apply on this board, but the UV coatings on lots of 1990s shiny tends to 'brick' over time. As for the roached plastics, I have yet to see it harm a card except when moisture or direct sunlight are involved. Anything really good, though, I store in mylar sleeves inserted into either card savers or top loaders.

Photos are a story of their own. One thing in particular is that Sharpie writing can migrate to a holder, especially if there is heat involved. I once had a signed photo in a frame and when I went to remove it, the signature was on the glass. It was pretty cool looking, actually, but ruined.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-12-2024 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:51 PM
Mark Macrae

The same thing has happened to Morrell Meats and Mothers Cookies (52/53) which both have semi-gloss surfaces, particularly when in screw downs or are densely packed in boxes.. I switched to mylar around 1990. It took nearly ten years to transfer the collection. For less expensive cards penny sleeves are fine (rotated every decade or so. Anything historically irreplaceable or valuable mylar is the best... or find out when it's too late..
Old 02-12-2024, 07:12 PM

Presumably, the sleeves found in graded card holders (PSA, Beckett, and more recently SGC) are mylar, not polypropylene, and always have been? I never really thought about that until now, but I hope so.....
Old 02-12-2024, 11:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I busted open a CGC slab the other day (Mr. Dremel got a lot of work in) and I think that sleeve is polypro, not mylar.

Or not...
Old 02-12-2024, 11:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Another one where the surface can deteriorate is the Dexter Press PC set.

Or not...
Old 02-14-2024, 11:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I regularly change out cards in really old, yellowing plastic holders. It seems there is a never ending supply of that old crap.

Yuck...