NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Adventures in Autographs, The Cuban Connection Part I

It was 1998, As I looked out of the jet's window and watched the lights of night time Havana draw closer I knew that this trip would be "different"
Since the Kennedy administration most American's have been barred from visiting Cuba, our Caribbean cousin located just 90 miles south of Key West Florida. For me having family on the island , I requested and was granted a legal visa.
From the mountains and tobacco fields of Pinar Del Rio to the west to the sun drenched beaches of Santiago province to the east, the island is an amazing 1,000 miles long. Havana the capitol city rests on the northwestern coast. As a long time sports fan the island had always facinated me. Cuba's obsession with sports has produced some of the greatest athletes in history. In the 1920's and 30s many of the negro leagues brightest stars were Cuban. There was no color line in Cuba so players too "dark" to play in tthe major leagues would share the field with white players during the winter months. Virtually the entire Negro Leagues would play summer ball in the States and winter ball in Cuba. Hall of Famers Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, Oscar Charleston, John Henry Lloyd and others all played there. Native born Cubans like Cristobal Torriente and Jose Mendez excelled there. In a nine inning game between the American All stars that included Babe Ruth and Cuban All stars featuring Torriente , the Cuban out hit Ruth .378 to .345 Outhomering him 3-2 and compiled a .757 slugging percentage as the Cubans beat the Americans and Ruth by a one game margin in the series. Jose mendez was the pitcher , In his native country he outpitched Eddie Plank, and Christy Mathewson. John McGraw who traveled extensively in Cuba called Mendez "Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander" rolled into one. Probably the most revered of all Cuban players Martin Dihigo played every position including pitcher and Hall of Famers Monte Irvin and Johnny Mize who both saw him play called him "The best all around player white or black they had ever seen" Professional boxing also flourished in Cuba with names like Kid Chocolate, Kid Gavilan, Sugar Ramos, Jose Napoles and Teofilio Stevenson (more about HIM later).
I arrived on the island not knowing what to expect. The contradictory facts and fables what awaits a visiting tourist in Cuba are as diverse as the island itself. Previously my personal travels had taken me from Thailand where I worked as a professional boxing judge to Rome where I visited former middleweight champion Nino Benvenuti. Cuba was and is unlike anyplace I have ever been. When asked to explain I can only say its like a time capsule to 1959 a land suspended in time. My trip would produce astonishing images and a near death experience , but I could not know that then as my plane touched down and I exited into the stiffling heat of the airport terminal, I was in Cuba !
Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Neat! It must be so interesting to pick in a place like Cuba. There are so many card issues that emerge from Latin America that have barely been cataloged. Here are some offbeat Cuban boxing pieces of interest:

This card is from a set that commemorates episodes during the successful 1933 revolution. The card depicts the arrival in Havana of the former Spanish light-heavyweight amateur champion Lorenzo Gomez Naya. Gomez Naya went on to an undistinguished career in Cuba and the USA ending with WWII. Royal Cigars branding and back that mentions it is part of a series of cards depicting scenes from the revolution.

This card is a promotional issue of Cuban brandy maker 3 Toneles. The card dates to December 1959 and carries the three year boxing record [1956-1959] of Florentino “The Ox” Fernandez, a Cuban middleweight contender with a blank space to write in the result of his December 1959 fight. Fernandez fought a bout in Cuba in April 1960 then fled to the USA. My suspicion is that the card had a very short issue life since the Cuban government rapidly outlawed professional boxing. I suppose he did hit like an ox; he was voted #57 on The Ring’s list of alltime greatest punchers. He lost a split decision to Gene Fullmer for the middleweight title, lost fights to Emile Griffith and Ruben Carter, beat Gaspar Ortega twice and KO’d Jose Torres. Overall he was 50-16-1 in a career that ran from 1956-1972.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-24-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Andy H.

Default I was in Cuba in 2003

I can totally agree! I was in Cuba in 2003 for a missions trip. Words cannot express how "1950s" most of Cuba is. One of the hotels we were staying at housed one of Cuba's better baseball teams. They were in the playoffs. Some of them were pretty ripped! I could not go watch one of the games though.

Boy, do I have some stories from my trip...