NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Where is the next Vin Scully?

No one will likely ever equal Scully’s longevity as an announcer with one team.

I have not heard a young announcer recently who seems likely to survive 10 years.

The young guys are cookie cutter announcers that all sound the same and to me are boring.

I haven’t heard them all though.

Is there a current MLB announcer with five years or less on the job, that you think will last 30 years or more.

Not looking for a Joe Buck type, but a young guy starting out that has a future and who is entertaining, perhaps Ueckeresque.

The floor is now open for nominations.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Bob Uecker is 48 years in. I don't think anybody else will come close to that again, let alone Scully's 66 years. Uecker won't catch Scully because he was a Major Leaguer first. Ueck played until he was 33. Scully started with the Dodgers when he was 23.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:26 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Gary Cohen has 30 years in with the Mets, he such a diehard fan, I don't see him quitting anytime soon.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:07 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Indians' Tom Hamilton (age 64) has been on the radio call for almost 30 years. Worth turning the TV volume off during games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zbhgMLKAsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oITByn-SpXw
Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 AM

I find most announcing teams to be horrible. I used to think the Yankees had a goofy team and other teams probably had the same friendly atmosphere for their games, but boy was I wrong. When I lived in SF it felt like the entire purpose of the announcing team was to see if I could stay awake for a whole game.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

I agree that I haven't heard them all but the majority of them really suck.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Let me reiterate.

I’m not looking for current announcers who have been around for 25-30 years already, that you have already named.

I’m looking for a young announcer (5 years or less) who you think has the potential to become a long standing legend. Personally I haven’t heard one.

Carry on.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

certainly won't come from Atlanta.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Bob Andrews

I had the sports add-on for my Sirius radio just to listen to Vin Scully...and I don't care for the Dodgers a bit ;-). His last season or so he had cut way back, just a few innings on radio, and I sure missed him.

I've still got the sports package. I try not to sound like an old guy yelling at clouds but very few of the radio guys I hear are very memorable. The Astros' crew seems to be very popular but I can't tell one guy from the other.

Last edited by commishbob; 07-08-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 AM
Dave Foster

Default Where is the next Vin Scully?

Sadly, it won't be coming from San Diego. The two yahoos now calling Padres games after Jerry Coleman passed are pathetic. They spend more time telling jokes and playing grab ass than calling the games. They are painful to watch / listen to. Probably never heard of Vin Scully. As poor as their efforts consistently are, makes me wonder if the only reason they keep their positions is due to catching the owners in a compromising sitch in the exec shitter.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:49 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I find most announcing teams to be horrible. I used to think the Yankees had a goofy team and other teams probably had the same friendly atmosphere for their games, but boy was I wrong. When I lived in SF it felt like the entire purpose of the announcing team was to see if I could stay awake for a whole game.
John Sterlings stupid nickname HR calls are the worst. It was clever with Bernie Williams but now he has to have one for every player, its really ridiculous.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
John Sterlings stupid nickname HR calls are the worst. It was clever with Bernie Williams but now he has to have one for every player, its really ridiculous.
I guess I was really talking about the booth. Paul O'Neill is always funny to listen to because he hardly talks about the game going on and has a great rapport with Michael Kay. I also love listening to David Cone.

Michael Kay is probably the answer to this question. He might have a lot of years already put in, but he's not an old guy and Sterling is still doing every game every day into his 80s.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Frank, I was thinking about this recently. Sadly, I don't have a name for you...wish I did.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I had the sports add-on for my Sirius radio just to listen to Vin Scully...and I don't care for the Dodgers a bit ;-). His last season or so he had cut way back, just a few innings on radio, and I sure missed him.

I've still got the sports package. I try not to sound like an old guy yelling at clouds but very few of the radio guys I hear are very memorable. The Astros' crew seems to be very popular but I can't tell one guy from the other.
Is this significant? Did Scully’s entertainment value promote more interest in the game than the current crop of “borons”? I think so.

Even as a kid I think my interest in baseball was enhanced by the Game of the Week announcing pair of Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean.

Is there really more interest in launch angles and exit velocities from the “borons” than there is in Dizzy’s rendition of “The Wabash Cannonball” or Scully’s anecdotes about da Bums of the 50s from Brooklyn?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 07-09-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

The Colorado Rockies have a great TV announcer actually.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:54 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Is this significant? Did Scully’s entertainment value promote more interest in the game than the current crop of “borons”? I think so.

Even as a kid I think my interest in baseball was enhanced by the Game of the Week announcing pair of Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean.

Is there really more interest in launch angles and exit velocities from the “borons” than there is in Dizzy’s rendition of “The Wabash Cannonball” or Scully’s anecdotes about da Bums of the 50s from Brooklyn?
Frank, I do believe it is significant and partially explains my occasional apathy for the current game. Putting baseball aside for a moment, let me use the NFL as an example. When I was growing up, NFC coverage was dominated by Pat Summerall and John Madden. They were the #1 crew for CBS for many years and then continued on Fox. I would literally watch any game they were doing, because they added something. Sure it helped that they as the #1 crew had the top teams, but it was more than that. It was the intonation of Summerall that still rings in my ears, as well as the interplay he had with Madden. But Summerall was THE guy (for me at least). He was an anomaly in that he was a former player, and most former players go the route of color commentator. He brought a seriousness and a tact to his games that I can't totally explain. I just know that Joe Buck and anyone else you want to mention fall far short. Kevin Harlan sounds like he is about to try and sell me a used car. FWIW, the AFC guys on NBC in the 80s were amazing as well. Dick Enberg was pretty hard to beat, and Charlie Jones, Todd Christensen, and Merlin Olsen were good as well.

Fast forward to now, Al Michaels started as a relative youngster and has endured. However, he even has lost something for me. Which leads me to conclude that it is just a different world and a different environment that these modern announcers are trying to do their jobs in. I think most of them feel the need to mostly be entertainers and social media aficionados, rather than masters of their craft. Also, most of the aforementioned announcers that started young in a prior generation and wowed us often worked radio broadcasts. It seems that is a different kind of announcing and would truly require an announcer to sharpen his skills in that he has to paint the picture because the listener can't see it for themselves. Announcers now have audiences that can see everything they can and sometimes more thanks to TV and "behind the scenes" looks that some athletes provide via social media.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Frank, I do believe it is significant and partially explains my occasional apathy for the current game. Putting baseball aside for a moment, let me use the NFL as an example. When I was growing up, NFC coverage was dominated by Pat Summerall and John Madden. They were the #1 crew for CBS for many years and then continued on Fox. I would literally watch any game they were doing, because they added something. Sure it helped that they as the #1 crew had the top teams, but it was more than that. It was the intonation of Summerall that still rings in my ears, as well as the interplay he had with Madden. But Summerall was THE guy (for me at least). He was an anomaly in that he was a former player, and most former players go the route of color commentator. He brought a seriousness and a tact to his games that I can't totally explain. I just know that Joe Buck and anyone else you want to mention fall far short. Kevin Harlan sounds like he is about to try and sell me a used car. FWIW, the AFC guys on NBC in the 80s were amazing as well. Dick Enberg was pretty hard to beat, and Charlie Jones, Todd Christensen, and Merlin Olsen were good as well.

When you are growing up these guys seem magical. And the players seemed magical too. As did countless other things. Then when you are a grown man you realize it really ain't so magical. Just someone sometimes interesting and sometimes annoying.

Last night people were complaining on Twitter that Pete Alonso looked too joyous. He was goofy and acting like a fool. Sure. Give up trying to please people today. Every national announcer you think of is terrible if you listen to what people are saying. I'm no huge fan of Joe Buck, but you'd think the guy was from another planet and knew nothing about sports the way people carry on. Different times.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-09-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:40 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I do think Joe Buck is terrible and has ridden his daddy's coattails. That doesn't mean I think everyone is terrible. And no one is "carrying on."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 07-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

When you are growing up these guys seem magical. And the players seemed magical too. As did countless other things. Then when you are a grown man you realize it really ain't so magical. Just someone sometimes interesting and sometimes annoying.

Last night people were complaining on Twitter that Pete Alonso looked too joyous. He was goofy and acting like a fool. Sure. Give up trying to please people today. Every national announcer you think of is terrible if you listen to what people are saying. I'm no huge fan of Joe Buck, but you'd think the guy was from another planet and knew nothing about sports the way people carry on. Different times.
i remember dick enberg calling all those Dolphin games with Marino...

i think everyone will say back in my day people are great ..including people 30 years from now saying how great people were today..
Old 07-10-2019, 12:48 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
i remember dick enberg calling all those Dolphin games with Marino...

i think everyone will say back in my day people are great ..including people 30 years from now saying how great people were today..

I don't believe that Scully was ever regarded as mundane in the 50s and 60s. There should be at least one member of the current crop who isn't mundane. No?

Then again if the announcers (or bot announcers) in 2050 really suck a lot more, you may be right.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I don't believe that Scully was ever regarded as mundane in the 50s and 60s. There should be at least one member of the current crop who isn't mundane. No?

Then again if the announcers (or bot announcers) in 2050 really suck a lot more, you may be right.
I personally find Jessica Mendoza interesting to listen to, because she's different. Last I checked me and 3 other men in America didn't find her existence to be one of the worst things that every happened to baseball ever. Somehow the fact that she was only one of the best softball players in the world makes her less qualified to talk about baseball than some 500 pound dude living in his mothers basement eating cheetos.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 PM
Mike Dugan

While I don't get to hear very often any more, I think Jon Miller is as good as anyone out there these days. He makes the game fun too.