NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-14-2019, 05:51 AM

Default Is this a game used Continental Football League ball?

Hi everyone. I am a fairly new member here (1st post!) but have been lurking for a bit. I collect Seattle teams and mostly stick to jerseys and dabble with bats. I don't have much knowledge on vintage footballs so hopefully some of you can help me.

I just got this football that was signed by members of the 1967 Seattle Rangers, who were in the Continental Football league for a few season before the the league folded. Like the title says does anyone know if this ball was possibly used by the team? Is it atleast team issued or is it just a retail ball?

The ball has the text, "OFFICIAL PRO LEAGUE PATTERN" encircling "THE KING" and under this is "Continental Football League". The date (Nov 5, 1967) is written on the white stripe with the final score of the game (Seattle 41, Sacramento 0).

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:34 AM
Rob

Welcome!

I know nothing about footballs but I’m thinking your ball was league issued and maybe game used. My reasoning is that I’d be surprised if these were even available for retail. I mean, who is going to buy a Continental League football? Until reading your post, I had never even heard of the league!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:48 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Greatest name in sports Dick Hard.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Welcome!

I know nothing about footballs but I’m thinking your ball was league issued and maybe game used. My reasoning is that I’d be surprised if these were even available for retail. I mean, who is going to buy a Continental League football? Until reading your post, I had never even heard of the league!
The Continental Football League was a relatively big deal in the 1960s. It was a Pro league that intended to compete with the NFL and AFL, starting on the East coast and eventually adding minor league teams from across the country. Bill Walsh and Ken Stabler both got their starts there. They went hard after O.J. Simpson before he ultimately signed with the Bills and folded shortly after that when they realized they couldn't compete with NFL $$$.

I can't find a good picture of the football used in the CFL, but I find it interesting that the ball is called "The King" which seems like an obvious attempt to trump the NFL ball which was known as "The Duke".
Old 08-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Welcome!

I actually thought about that too. Good point on who would buy a CFL ball when you could get an NFL one or one endorse by an NFL star. Either way, the ball will fit nicely among my other items of defunct pro Seattle sports teams lol.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
The Continental Football League was a relatively big deal in the 1960s. It was a Pro league that intended to compete with the NFL and AFL, starting on the East coast and eventually adding minor league teams from across the country. Bill Walsh and Ken Stabler both got their starts there. They went hard after O.J. Simpson before he ultimately signed with the Bills and folded shortly after that when they realized they couldn't compete with NFL $$$.

I can't find a good picture of the football used in the CFL, but I find it interesting that the ball is called "The King" which seems like an obvious attempt to trump the NFL ball which was known as "The Duke".
I didn't even notice that. I did some research and saw some game used NFL balls with the "The Duke" and completely overlooked that my ball says "The King". Do you think CFL balls would have been available for retail?