NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do Baines and/or Smith belong in the Hall of Fame?
Yes to both 48 10.98%
Yes to Baines, No to Smith 4 0.92%
Yes to Smith, No to Baines 182 41.65%
No to both 203 46.45%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Poll: do Baines and/or Smith belong in the Hall?

Choose one of the 4 options below.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:38 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Not only do they not belong in, even if you could some how combine them into one person that guy STILL wouldn't belong in.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

I said yes to Smith, no for Baines. I think Hershiser or Clark would have been better options than Baines. But I don't get why so many think closers don't belong. Smith was one of the all time greatest closers.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:39 PM

I voted "no" to both. But I did buy four autographed Smith & Baines Topps cards on eBay last night for my HOF autograph collection. HOF is a thing.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Mike

Over 200 in the HOF, Lee Smith 3rd All-Time in Saves. Baines 34th in RBI's, 46th in hits, 43rd in Total Bases and 60th in Extra Base Hits. So both are not that bad. Can't all be as good as Ruth, Cobb, etc.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Scott Russell

Just realized nobody mentioned Dewey yet as a MUCH more deserving player than Baines
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Dominant

I always like to see some form of dominance in a Hall member. I voted yes for Smith because when he retired he was #1 in career saves.

Baines just chugged along for 22 years. Six All-Star games. Never once in the top 5 in the MVP vote. I gave him a "no".
Old 12-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Tim M

Same here, as above.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Ken McMillan

Keep in mind that you need to compare them with their peers. Clear yes for Big Lee! Bains was a good player but not HOF calibur.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Default No and no

Bob Feller wouldn’t have shown up if he were inducted with either of thrn.

I think it was Lee Smith who said to a reporter after blowing a crucial save “I’m suck”. Well he didn’t suck, but he belongs with Harold in the Hall of Very Good HOVG.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I said yes to Smith, no for Baines. I think Hershiser or Clark would have been better options than Baines. But I don't get why so many think closers don't belong. Smith was one of the all time greatest closers.
+1.

I didn't read all the replies, but these are pretty much my thoughts too.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Karl or Groucho?

“From each according to his ability and to each according to his needs”
A hall of fame for all, diverse and inclusive

Or

“I wouldn’t want to be a member of a hall of fame that would have me as a member”

Vote now

Marx, Marx, Both Marx or No Marx

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I'm in agreement, voted the same way. I think closers will always face an uphill fight (outside of Rivera, for several reasons). It took 13 years for Bruce Sutter to gain election. I realize this is anecdotal but I watched many of his games. During those years when Bruce Sutter was at the top of his game, when his splitter was working, he seemed truly unhittable.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 AM
Glyn Parson

I voted yes on both. I don’t like the argument that this guy is better so this guy shouldn’t get in. There’s no cap on total number of players allowed in the hall of fame so there is room for both. It’s not a mutually exclusive type conversation.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:46 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I have no problem with relievers or dh's getting in the hall...they're both positions and should be represented. As for these two, I thought Smith should have already been in, but Baines is not sitting well after thinking about it over the last couple days. If you're a "duration" kind of player, you have to have hit some of the major milestones, added some value with your glove, or been a monster DH. I don't see Baines checking off any of those boxes. Next year is for the Modern Baseball Committee (1970-1987) to vote. That should be interesting.

Last edited by mr2686; 12-11-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Over 200 in the HOF, Lee Smith 3rd All-Time in Saves. Baines 34th in RBI's, 46th in hits, 43rd in Total Bases and 60th in Extra Base Hits. So both are not that bad. Can't all be as good as Ruth, Cobb, etc.
Agree 100%. If Smith doesn't belong, then you need to kick out a bunch of relievers. If Baines doesn't belong, then there are a lot of other Veterans Committee picks that need to go too. These 2 guys clearly fit in the Hof's pattern of electing members.

Some may want the HOF to be exclusive. However, the HOF wants guys elected, that is how they stay profitable. Between 2001 and 2018, only 3 players were elected by the VC, a number of managers and executives made it. With 2 last year and 2 this year, don't be surprised to see more VC HOF picks.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

Or

“I wouldn’t want to be a member of a hall of fame that would have me as a member”

Vote now

That's a capital post.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 AM
D@ve Se@born

Default Confused

How is it that the 16 person panel comprised Harold's former manager, former GM, and former owner? Only seven year ago, over 95% of baseball writers felt Baines did not belong in the Hall. If you're going to change that, could you at least pick a panel with a little more impartiality?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:17 AM

I voted no to both. Baines is not even close. This was a gift to the White Sox. He is not even in the hunt. While I understand some of the sentiment for Smith, this is an after thought. An attempt to elevate the role -- not a vote for him per se. Very few. Very few closers should be considered, and Smith is not among them.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOriole View Post
How is it that the 16 person panel comprised Harold's former manager, former GM, and former owner? Only seven year ago, over 95% of baseball writers felt Baines did not belong in the Hall. If you're going to change that, could you at least pick a panel with a little more impartiality?
I would add to that, I don't think players who played with him are the right voters either. Too much opportunity for cronyism, friendships, etc. For better or worse people not part of organized baseball should be voting IMO.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

When I first saw the news of their induction, I thought I was reading The Onion. For reasons that other posters have already covered, I voted no on both.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I am solidly behind Smith. His induction bid with the writers was hurt by several things: Utterly forgettable name, poor relationship with the press, largely playing for bad teams. Still, when you retire #1 in the metric that is used to judge your position, a Hall of Fame nod is a reasonable expectation.

Interesting I Googled Lee Smith THIS MORNING and got several results back for the Oakland Raiders Tight End.

Off the top of my head, there are a dozen position players I would have taken over Baines, though I consider myself a fan. Definitely a low-end HOFer.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:56 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I reject Baines because my spellchecker changes his name to Gaines.

Smith is okay.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 PM

I had lunch with 4 non-baseball, but avid sports fans (football and basketball fans mostly). Ages 40-50.

None of the 4 had even HEARD the name of Baines or Smith!

They could name other baseball players, football players, soccer players, race car drivers, horses that won the triple crown ... heck one guy could even name a professional darts player.

But they never even HEARD of Baines or Smith (even after I prompted them by mentioning the teams they played for and positions they played).

If sports fans don't know your name ... you don't belong in the Hall of "Fame".

It's really that simple.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:05 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

https://thebiglead-com.cdn.ampprojec...all-of-fame%2F
Old 12-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I suddenly realized I didn't have a single Baines or Smith card...

...so, just as I did went they let Mazeroski in, I went out and bought a 'representational group' of 15 cards of Baines & 10 of Smith...

heck, I had to add some Josh Donaldson cards anyway since he signed with the Braves.

I'll be darned if I'm going to try to get all the 1980s cards of each of them, though...that's ridiculous.

I hate seeing these two being called 'Chicago Legends' when Minnie Minoso is still on the outside!

Some day all those cards are going to be worth something....NOT!

It's just an addiction, plain and simple.

Earlier this year, I bulked up on players I think are likely future candidates...in a vain effort to not be so surprised.

I guess I need to pick up some Bobby Grich cards, huh?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I hate seeing these two being called 'Chicago Legends' when Minnie Minoso is still on the outside!
Agree, and I'd add Billy Pierce as well.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Eric S.

These non-voted HOF appointments are always grossly biased and political. Many, many way better players than these two have been relegated to the dustbin forever. Thank the always political Tony La Russa!

Successful transactions with ecRich, HTBB, MPeich, Pencil1974, JLoewke, Darkhorse9, Therajah, eb548, Cards 2121, etc.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

300 votes as I post. 32 for Baines, 148 for Smith.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Fred

Quote:

Minnie was used to being screwed. From his first season in the bigs when he got screwed out of the ROY award...
Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
300 votes as I post. 32 for Baines, 148 for Smith.
Ironically right about where the BBWAA had them.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Ironically right about where the BBWAA had them.
Or not so ironic. The guys here are a pretty good representation, I would think, of people knowledgeable about the game and appreciative of the Hall.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:38 AM
Barry Sloate

Al Oliver was as good or better than Baines, and most fans barely remember who he was. He hit over .300 eleven times, including nine seasons in a row. 2743 career hits, 529 doubles, over 200 HR's, 1189 runs scored, 1326 RBI's, and he's fallen off the face of the earth.

Maybe Baines stats were somewhat better but he had nearly 1000 more at bats. I'm just a fan of Oliver who thinks the game has forgotten him.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-12-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:03 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:

Or

Vote now

Harpo and Groucho YES.

Chico, Zeppo, Gummo, and Karl NO.

Harpo is my favorite Marx Brother.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-12-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Al Oliver was as good or better than Baines, and most fans barely remember who he was. He hit over .300 eleven times, including nine seasons in a row. 2743 career hits, 529 doubles, over 200 HR's, 1189 runs scored, 1326 RBI's, and he's fallen off the face of the earth.

Maybe Baines stats were somewhat better but he had nearly 1000 more at bats. I'm just a fan of Oliver who thinks the game has forgotten him.
Real fans of the game know who Al Oliver was. Collusion cost him a shot at 3000 hits. He had an OPS+ 121 just like Baines.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Mike

Default Kaline/Baines

Baines compared to Kaline ( stats look about the same- that was a surprize to me ):
G Hits HR RBI Bave SLG
Kaline 2834 3007 399 1583 297 480
Baines 2830 2866 384 1628 289 465

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 12-12-2018 at 10:16 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-12-2018, 10:17 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

If you are long time player and played with 12 of the people on the Veteran committee that vote than you are in
Old 12-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

He did an autograph signing for me at a show I ran. What an absolute pleasure to be around. Not just a nice guy, he did everything he could to help out, as autographs didn't sell like we had hoped, traded trivia questions with me all day. Was really one of my hobby memory highlights. We discussed if he had remained with the Pirates his whole career would that have made a difference in HOF balloting. I think it would've had a massive impact. He has higher highs than Baines for sure.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

As compared to Baines and Oliver, Dave Parker won an MVP, was 2nd once and 3rd twice I believe. Plus 2 batting titles.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-12-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:05 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Harpo and Groucho YES.

Chico, Zeppo, Gummo, and Karl NO.

Harpo is my favorite Marx Brother.

Chico was pretty good on the piano.

to my knowledge, brothers Zeppo and Gummo were never part of the 'act'.

Harpo was my favorite too...classic mirror bit he did with Lucy!

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Default Kaline and Baines

There are two huge differences between the two.

First, Kaline was an awesome right fielder, whereas Baines was a DH. In Kaline's best defensive season he saved 29 runs more than an average right fielder, whereas Brooks Robinson, possibly the greatest defensive player of all time, had only two seasons in which he saved more runs than that above an average third baseman. (Brooks pulls far ahead over the course of his career, but at his best Kaline was comparable to Brooks at his best.) Baines' best season was 8 runs above average, he was often below average in the field, and his spent most of his career as a DH.

The other big difference is that Kaline played through the mini-deadball era in the 1960s, whereas Baines mostly played in a much higher-scoring environment. So although their raw offensive numbers are pretty similar, once you adjust for the difficulty in putting up those numbers, Kaline comes out much better. (Maybe you have to do some complementary adjusting to their respective defensive numbers, but the defensive gap between the two is so huge that it's not going to make that much of a difference.)
Old 12-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Al Kaline was a 15 time all star and first ballot HOFer. There can be no serious equivalence here.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:

=
Zeppo was the straight man and heart throb in some of their early movies. Not sure about Gummo

Old 12-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Al Kaline was a 15 time all star and first ballot HOFer. There can be no serious equivalence here.
Just a basic fact, Kaline had a battery named after him. Baines did not.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Just a basic fact, Kaline had a battery named after him. Baines did not.
True, but Kaline was not the middle name of any president.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:

=
Zeppo was on Broadway with his brothers and appeared in The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horsefeathers, and Duck Soup before leaving show business. He was best friends with Jack Benny and introduced Benny to his future wife Mary at a Passover seder.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

NO to both, please......
Old 12-12-2018, 04:10 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Is someone actually comparing Baines to Al Kaline???
Old 12-12-2018, 06:12 PM
Mike

Kaline was my childhood hero. I have one of the top Kaline Master Collections on PSA. I was just showing how stats between Kaline and Baines, even though very close, there is no comparison between the two. It's amazing though how just looking at the offensive stats that they are that close ( between a first ballot HOF'er and someone very few of us consider a HOF'er).
Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'm upset they picked Baines over Dave Parker. Parker was the more complete player and more dangerous hitter.