NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Default Bad dealings on this forum ?

At this point, I'll not give out name ? But I would point at this is NOT the 1980's & it shouldn't take 11 days to get your cards ? Now, that today's mail has ran It will be at least 13 days on Monday at which point if they are not in I'm putting
a tracker on my money order at my bank .This member did not confirm the money order/payment or the cards have been set, in fact they have set NO messages after the agreed on the sale/price for the items ? They also have over 2,500 postings/deals on this site & have been on here for years ! So they are not new on here ! To, me this is NO WAY to conduct yourself in any matter !If a problem has came up, then the buyer should be informed of it & the lack of any messages not being sent is wrong ?This person has posted the cards ARE SOLD on the pages they were listed, so by that action I'm guessing the money order got to the right place & has been cashed, also there is no waiting time frame, like a check to cash it . please feel free to add your bad dealings on this, you DO NOT need to give names ! But would like to know If I'm alone or should be on the look out for OTHER PROBLEMS ?Thanks for your time . Robert D. Hysell
Old 03-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
At this point, I'll not give out name ? But I would point at this is NOT the 1980's & it shouldn't take 11 days to get your cards ? Now, that today's mail has ran It will be at least 13 days on Monday at which point if they are not in I'm putting
a tracker on my money order at my bank .This member did not confirm the money order/payment or the cards have been set, in fact they have set NO messages after the agreed on the sale/price for the items ? They also have over 2,500 postings/deals on this site & have been on here for years ! So they are not new on here ! To, me this is NO WAY to conduct yourself in any matter !If a problem has came up, then the buyer should be informed of it & the lack of any messages not being sent is wrong ?This person has posted the cards ARE SOLD on the pages they were listed, so by that action I'm guessing the money order got to the right place & has been cashed, also there is no waiting time frame, like a check to cash it . please feel free to add your bad dealings on this, you DO NOT need to give names ! But would like to know If I'm alone or should be on the look out for OTHER PROBLEMS ?Thanks for your time . Robert D. Hysell
Have you had any communications with the seller since the transaction? Maybe you should see if the money order is cashed before being alarmed? You are correct that it shouldn't take 11 days to ship something. Sometimes extraordinary things happen and cause delays. I will surprised if there are a lot of bad issues reported in the BST areas.

Last edited by Leon; 03-03-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
You say there is no waiting time frame like a check to be cashed, but some sellers do wait until the money order clears their bank. A money order can be faked as easily as a check.

Have you asked the seller if your MO has been received?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:56 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Mail has been painfully slow as well

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Thanks, David for your insight ? And I do agree they can be faked, why I went through my bank, which has safe guard's on them, like your checks do, so as to avoid this problem & to protect both parties in the sale ? And No , I gave the seller time to send off the cards? But to me it's the seller right to in form the buyer the money has been there & when the cards are on there way , I all ways provide a tracking no on all my sells & I even gave this person the mo # , when I said it was sent ? But that is me , maybe not all are ?Thanks, Rob.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Bruce Mattioli

I would be patient.. As mentioned, the US mail has been very slow recently. I recently waited two plus weeks for a small package, filed a missing claim, they could not find it then it showed up out of the blue.. Tracking numbers help but communication with the seller is key.. Hope this works out for you..
Old 03-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Money orders

My recent experience with money orders is that there are many fakes in circulation. Many banks will not cash a money order, and if you are a known customer, you may be able to deposit the money order into a checking account, but you won't be able to access the money until the money order has cleared. This can take several days.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

The Post Office has been the worst in the last few weeks than at any time in the last 20 years (based on my recent eBay transactions). I had a first class package take almost 2 weeks to go from me in New York to California.

You should email and ask for tracking information. Until the seller has had a chance to respond and explain themselves I think that you're premature in being upset with the seller. Just my 2¢.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Thanks, David for your insight ? And I do agree they can be faked, why I went through my bank, which has safe guard's on them, like your checks do, so as to avoid this problem & to protect both parties in the sale ? And No , I gave the seller time to send off the cards? But to me it's the seller right to in form the buyer the money has been there & when the cards are on there way , I all ways provide a tracking no on all my sells & I even gave this person the mo # , when I said it was sent ? But that is me , maybe not all are ?Thanks, Rob.
So have you contacted the seller to see what's going on? That would seem to be a logical place to start.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:58 AM
Larry

I understand your frustration, but my experience with transactions (buying, almost exclusively) with other members of this forum has been extremely positive.

Best wishes on your purchase,

Larry
Old 03-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Cha.rles He.nry

The seller should keep the buyer updated every step of the way
Old 03-03-2018, 11:02 AM
$teve O.

He is referring to me.My fault for bad communication. I always wait for a check/MONEYORDERS to clear before I send cards with people I have not
dealt with before, because I have been burned in the past.The moneyorder
was deposited 2 days after I received it, which was Feb 25.. I got an alert
Thursday the the moneyorder cleared,and sent out this morning.
Due to my job,kids,and other stuff going on,I was bad with communication,
which I apologize for.I'm usually good about that.In the future,just shoot me a message,I'm only human.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I understand your frustration, but my experience with transactions (buying, almost exclusively) with other members of this forum has been extremely positive.

Best wishes on your purchase,

Larry
There are times where I've similarly gotten frustrated. I am generally very impatient. But always remember that there's a chance some genuine calamity has hit (death of a parent, bad accident with child, home fire, lost job, etc.) that could send send someone reeling and render a card transaction off the radar. I'd like to think if I was ever that guy I'd at least find a minute for an apologetic email, but you never know.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

The one thing I will not put up with is someone ignoring me when they have my money in their pocket. Unless the person is dead or in a coma, everyone has a phone these days and it takes 5 seconds to send a message.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:10 AM
D0NN1E B

It seems to me the buyer should have just asked the seller if he had mailed the cards.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:17 AM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The one thing I will not put up with is someone ignoring me when they have my money in their pocket. Unless the person is dead or in a coma, everyone has a phone these days and it takes 5 seconds to send a message.
Like I stated,My communication was bad.And I don't have a phone that I can get on the internet.I work in a bodyshop where there are no devices that I can send messages.My home is the only place that I can get on the internet.
My communication should have been better, which it usually is.I have had the same thing happen,on a few occasions that I bought something on here and waited to hear what was going on.I just sent a message to see if they received
my payment.Sometimes sh*t happens.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:14 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Money orders? Phones with no internet? Maybe it IS the 1980's.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

OP has a great name for an auctioneer
Old 03-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I just wanted to add that the PO has been slow lately. I am based in MN and sent a package to Chicago, well after two weeks and a vacation in Californis the package arrived. How it went to California is anyones guess but certainly slowed down the package.

Lee Behrens
320-219-1372
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
I just wanted to add that the PO has been slow lately. I am based in MN and sent a package to Chicago, well after two weeks and a vacation in Californis the package arrived. How it went to California is anyones guess but certainly slowed down the package.

Lee Behrens
320-219-1372
I once had a certified letter headed to LA that first disappeared off tracking for a month and then pinged back and forth between an LA postal facility and one in West Sacramento multiple times before it finally got delivered in LA - to the wrong address. Fortunately the recipient put it back in the mail and about two months after mailing, it arrived.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-03-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:10 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Happy to hear things are working out. I normally wouldn't comment on this topic but just felt the need. I agree that communication is key and even though it is something that can only take a few minutes, life can get pretty busy and it's easy to lose track of time. It being the 21st century and everyone wants everything quick, quick, fast, fast. I do understand the reasons but sometimes you just have to take a deep breath, relax, and be happy that you were able to purchase something and that you will receive it. For me, something can take weeks to get to me and as long as it's not lost in the mail, i'm fine with it. My only issue is if something is lost. Otherwise I'm just happy I could make a purchase. For many of us, this is just a hobby and not a full time job. There's not always enough hours in the day to make everyone happy. Let's try to keep this hobby fun, happy, enjoyable, and relaxing.

Happy collecting everyone!!!

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-03-2018, 01:24 PM
N
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Happy to hear things are working out.
Good thoughts on this, fully agree.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Robert D. Hysell

Dang...guys. Your scaring me now about these Snail Mail tales ? Maybe we should go back to the Pony"s again?......LOL...Rob .
Old 03-03-2018, 02:12 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I am old enough to remember when you would purchase something and mail was involved you were asked to allow 4-6 weeks for delivery!!
Old 03-03-2018, 02:19 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Happy to hear things are working out. I normally wouldn't comment on this topic but just felt the need. I agree that communication is key and even though it is something that can only take a few minutes, life can get pretty busy and it's easy to lose track of time. It being the 21st century and everyone wants everything quick, quick, fast, fast. I do understand the reasons but sometimes you just have to take a deep breath, relax, and be happy that you were able to purchase something and that you will receive it. For me, something can take weeks to get to me and as long as it's not lost in the mail, i'm fine with it. My only issue is if something is lost. Otherwise I'm just happy I could make a purchase. For many of us, this is just a hobby and not a full time job. There's not always enough hours in the day to make everyone happy. Let's try to keep this hobby fun, happy, enjoyable, and relaxing.

Happy collecting everyone!!!
Wonder if this happened to you, if your attitude would be so saccharine. Reading your post, my diabetes started acting up. Oh golly, gee willickers, Auntie Em!
Old 03-03-2018, 02:42 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Money orders? Phones with no internet? Maybe it IS the 1980's.
I guess I'm old school, but I don't have the internet on my phone either. It's an old, faithful flip-top, which has been with me for 12-15 years and still works perfectly. Since there are small pieces of plastic which have broken off, I have named it "Janis," after Janis Joplin ("little piece of my heart...").

May your collecting be wonderful, a boost that gets you through some of the bad times in life,

Larry
Old 03-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
I guess I'm old school, but I don't have the internet on my phone either. It's an old, faithful flip-top, which has been with me for 12-15 years and still works perfectly. Since there are small pieces of plastic which have broken off, I have named it "Janis," after Janis Joplin ("little piece of my heart...").

May your collecting be wonderful, a boost that gets you through some of the bad times in life,

Larry
I have internet on my phone, but if you're expecting instant communication via internet you're out of luck. Typing anything on the phone is simply awful. I generally won't do it.
And you can try prying my kids off the main computer....

How is it people collect reminders of a slower simpler time but expect every individual to be Amazon?
Old 03-03-2018, 06:58 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:

Larry
Same here old flip-top and no internet. Out of curiosity I just checked
and I had eight total calls for the month of February and I've never
sent a text message so I guess I'm old school too.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:09 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
He is referring to me.My fault for bad communication. I always wait for a check/MONEYORDERS to clear before I send cards with people I have not
Thursday the the moneyorder cleared,and sent out this morning.
Due to my job,kids,and other stuff going on,I was bad with communication,
which I apologize for.I'm usually good about that.In the future,just shoot me a message,I'm only human.
Well Steve-O, someone should take you and beat the hell out of you behind the woodshed.... just kidding. I get it. Life takes over and things just get a bit crazy but I understand the OPs point. Communications is key. You probably already figured out a message to the OP should have been sent when the M.O. was received. Sounds like another happy ending on it's way....
Old 03-03-2018, 08:34 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I had g & m sales offer to buy my jackie bank and i agreed with his offer. He said would pay next day in response to my agreement. Been more than a month, maybe even 2 months now..sent 4 pm/emails no response
Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Andy Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I am old enough to remember when you would purchase something and mail was involved you were asked to allow 4-6 weeks for delivery!!
Lol.....sounds like shipping between the US and Canada. I don't even give it a thought about delivery times until atleast 4 weeks have passed. I am a very patient person and don't raise any stink about shipping times unless I pay the big bucks for the service and expect something like guaranteed 5 days delivery.

Andy
Old 03-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
I have named it "Janis," after Janis Joplin ("little piece of my heart...").

Larry
Now that's old school.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:17 AM
Scott Duguid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantleman View Post
Lol.....sounds like shipping between the US and Canada. I don't even give it a thought about delivery times until atleast 4 weeks have passed. I am a very patient person and don't raise any stink about shipping times unless I pay the big bucks for the service and expect something like guaranteed 5 days delivery.

Andy
Yes, things can always happen. I usually find shipping between Canada and the USA to be fast but had a package last year that showed out for delivery and then simply disappeared. I assumed a mail carrier had stolen it.

However, a few months later I suddenly got a delivery notification! When I made it home from work there it was - had a note on the back that said "found on street". There was then a different note, in different writing, that apologized for both opening it and then forgetting to put it back in the mail, as it had been delivered to the wrong house.

Having those cards given up for dead and then appearing so much later made me appreciate them even more.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:30 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I had a card that came very late with an attached post office note that it had gotten stuck in the sorting machine. The package was damaged but the card was fine.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:19 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

While everyone is beating up the post office, I have to share: I bought something off ebay Friday night and paid immediately. It was shipped Saturday morning from CA and arrived Monday in Cleveland, and it was shipped first class! Have no idea how that happened, it was amazing.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:42 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
My recent experience with money orders is that there are many fakes in circulation. Many banks will not cash a money order, and if you are a known customer, you may be able to deposit the money order into a checking account, but you won't be able to access the money until the money order has cleared. This can take several days.
I have had several attempts perpetuated on me using money orders from fraudulent Craigs List buyers. Mail service has been terrible.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:44 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiedog View Post
The seller should keep the buyer updated every step of the way
Within reason. If it's a $5 card a "dropped it in the mail" is plenty, IMO.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:02 AM
Bruce Mattioli

Getting back to the original point of the post, if the seller just sent the buyer this:

" I always wait for a check/MONEYORDERS to clear before I send cards with people I have not
Thursday the the money order cleared,and sent out this morning."

This post would have never happened..
Old 03-04-2018, 06:05 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Post office money order

When I have sold a item I suggest they pay by a US Postal Money order. Your local Post office can verify its authentic and depending on the amount might be able to cash it too.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I had g & m sales offer to buy my jackie bank and i agreed with his offer. He said would pay next day in response to my agreement. Been more than a month, maybe even 2 months now..sent 4 pm/emails no response
And since I am just now made aware of this he can no longer see or use the BST. LMK if it gets settled but this kind of stuff won't be put up with. If he gives me a different story then the 3 of us will hash it out but he isn't allowed there until this gets settled. I don't know why members don't say anything to me or another mod about these situations. Hanky crap will get dealt with quickly. BST should be a good place and no one should be there that won't deal and communicate in good faith.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:57 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
When I have sold a item I suggest they pay by a US Postal Money order. Your local Post office can verify its authentic and depending on the amount might be able to cash it too.
My bank frowns on Postal Money Orders. Well, let's say that the cashing process takes every bit of 20 minutes, per M.O.. They need to do the automated "Dial 1 for,,," dance to get a confirmation #. Others, they just treat like a check ....
Old 03-04-2018, 07:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
My bank frowns on Postal Money Orders. Well, let's say that the cashing process takes every bit of 20 minutes, per M.O.. They need to do the automated "Dial 1 for,,," dance to get a confirmation #. Others, they just treat like a check ....
No reason in the world anyone should be dealing in money orders today. Just don't see it. Should have gone the way of traveler's checks.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default What’s your MO, here’s mine?

A well-known respected forum member on the east coast sent me a money order issued by a respected well-known national drug store chain as payment.

I was in California at the time, where the local respected well-known national drug store chain looked at the money order like it was a fossil from a foreign archaeological dig. They wouldn’t cash it.

I carried the MO with me to Wisconsin (as part of our annual migration during the “snowbird” years) a couple of weeks later, where the respected well-known drug store chain did not exist. There I took it to my bank where it was simply deposited or cashed it without difficulty.

The well-known respected forum member on the east coast is still a respected forum member and hobby friend (Hi STEVE). The respected well-known national drug store chain has not seen one of my dimes or dollars since (Hi CVS).

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
No reason in the world anyone should be dealing in money orders today. Just don't see it. Should have gone the way of traveler's checks.
Don't travelers checks get faked too? What's the difference?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Again, guys I'd point out, this WAS MY BANKS mo, not one form other places ! Also it WAS one of the payment asked for , so that"s WHAT I sent ! Back to why I posted this in the 1st place , I was wounder if OTHER problems have & do pop up time to time ? As I see it , there was a communication problem & waiting 2 days to put it in the bank & another 2 days after it clears the bank to send it off ? sorry but that wasted 4 days , no other way to look at it guys ?Again asked about problems, not pointing the finger at me or him? WE all have rights do we not ?Robert D. Hysell
Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Again, guys I'd point out, this WAS MY BANKS mo, not one form other places ! Also it WAS one of the payment asked for , so that"s WHAT I sent ! Back to why I posted this in the 1st place , I was wounder if OTHER problems have & do pop up time to time ? As I see it , there was a communication problem & waiting 2 days to put it in the bank & another 2 days after it clears the bank to send it off ? sorry but that wasted 4 days , no other way to look at it guys ?Again asked about problems, not pointing the finger at me or him? WE all have rights do we not ?Robert D. Hysell
Patience is a virtue in the hobby.

Folks who start this type of thread, although wronged, seldom come out smelling like a rose.

Sorry, but that's the way it is in Net54 land.

And my previous post was not intended to implicate you in any way. Just an anecdotal experience that I thought was marginally related to the topic being discussed. Cheers.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Robert...not to defend the poor communication or slow shipping by the seller. But IMO you share some responsibility for sharing your story here before you contacted the seller requesting an update.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default Flu like symptoms

Hanky crap - Sounds nasty, Leon.

Spell check, I assume 😅
Old 03-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
Hanky crap - Sounds nasty, Leon.

Spell check, I assume ��
I just made it up though it's in the urban dictionary

Last edited by Leon; 03-04-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:01 PM
D.an Jackso.n

My bank is coming out with a new electronic payment program this year. If you are signed up with online banking you will be able to send and receive payments to and from other people's bank accounts. No fees other than if they charge you for online banking, which my bank doesn't. There's a name for this new program which escapes me now. Essentially an ACH payment between banks. Might make this MO business ( and some other forms of payment) obsolete. Obviously there must be an element of trust between sender and recipient because you have to exchange account information.