NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Default Sweet Caporal P2 pins

Posted By: John S

Does anyone have any information regarding the number of variations known for the back advertisements on these pins? I have three pins...and three different backs.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

John,

I wish I had an answer, but I don't. This is a great question. I have recently begun thinking about adding some P2s to my collection. I would love to see the three different backs you have if you have a way to scan them.

Shawn

Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I know there's color variations with RED being tough I think........I know Bob Marquette collects them heavily. I've got about 1/2 of the set. I'll take a look at mine and let you know what I have as far as backs

Old 10-21-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

John- I happened to notice Tom's post and it got me thinking, did you mean color variations or printing variations for the paper backs on the pins? I had the complete set minus 3 but never noticed any difference in what was written on the back so I assume you are talking about color. I know it may be the toughest color but the white and red paper backs seem to be the most coveted although I have no clue how many of the pins exist with which backs.
As far as the pins go, Scott Mosley and I have for years tried to convince anyone from SCD on down that the Mullin (Mullen) large letter pin with black hat is a phantom and has never existed. I believe someone accidentally called a small letter black hat a large letter black hat (PSA does this all the time) and thus the fallacy was born. There is a small letter black hat and large letter white hat. I believe Bob Lemke finally agreed the last year he was with SCD and it is now gone. The pin was a phantom, much like the blue letter on the hat T207 Davis, a different story for a different day.
The five toughest pins to find, IMHO, are Pelty, Scanlon, Maclean large letters, Abbatichio and Doyle large letters but everyone disagrees on all but the Pelty. It may be that his pin is tough but because he was Jewish it makes it almost impossible to find, much like the T207 Pelty.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys,

I look forward to seeing a few examples. Bob, I guess that I considered both (color and printing). I have two scans, one is my Matty the other is a Matty that ended on eBay last week. I do not have a scan available of the red printed ad. Notice the pin in the PSA holder is from Factory 25 in Virginia while my pin is from Factory 42 in NC. Most of the pins that I have seen are from Factory 42.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I posted about the exact same question you are asking several months ago. At the time, I had several P2s with various backs (a few red, and different factory numbers, same as your examples), and I believe I was told there is no known correlation between red and black backs and factory numbers (I do not rememberthe exact thread title but it had P2 in it). I suppose a large study of P2s might garner such information, as well as a better understanding of other aspects of production, but at least to my knowledge (which is quite limited) has never been done.
Speaking of large studies, this board together could amass incredible information about various sets by commissioning board wide surveys. The ones done so far on T206 have been incredible. If different folks created at least one per week the burden would be spread more evenly. Even someone like myself, who does not collect sets, would volunteer to start a thread even if it is for a set I do not have a card of. Of course I believe the first thing we need to do is identify which sets are most important to survey (and for what reasons)
Sorry for the above rambling. In a short response to your post from a limited knowledge perspective, there is no correlation between color backs and factory numbers, however there might be between players and factory numbers, or something else, or nothing at all. Only a large study/survey will solve this question in my limited knowledge opinion.
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Rhinehart

Hi John. The style on the left with the design at the bottom is uncommon (in fact I only have 4 or 5 out of the 140 pins I own) and is even rarer still with red lettering. The style of back in the Matthewson scan is far and away the most common. However, there are color variations of the paper itself (with black printing). I have about seven red backings and I still may have a blue-green backing. The pins have two manufacturers, Whitehead & Hoag & the Ehrman Co. The Ehrman pins are far less common. Thinking out loud, I wonder if each manufacturer produced every player, are all of the players available with each back, etc.?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

John, I just took a look at mine and I have 5 distinctly different backs. There were some slight differences in shade on back but these are all very different. The Ehrman is a Wheat LL (considered one of the tougher P2's)
-Rhett

Old 10-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David R

Here are some of mine including a red back and the Mullen dark hat (small letters I think):

Old 10-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Todd

David,

What's the back on the Mullen? The pin looks much longer than on the other P2s I've seen. Or is it just bent oddly? [Edited to add obvious question.]

Bill

Old 10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David R

The back is a Sweet Caporal Fact 42. The point part was apparently broken off so someone at one point put a piece of wire that is curled around the inner lip and extended out so you can pin it on. This is the small letter, correct?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Rhinehart

Yes the Mullen is the small letter version. The large letter has a White Cap and is misspelled Mullin

Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Here is the LL Mullin.
-Rhett

Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Harkins

John

I have 10 different backs:

1. Whitehead & Hoag Co. Factory 25, 2nd Districk VA Red Paper, Black ink
2. Whitehead & Hoag Co. Factory 42, 4th Districk NC Gray Paper, Black ink
3. Whitehead & Hoag Co. Factory 42, 4th Districk NC White Paper, Black ink
4. Ehrman Co. Milford NH Factory 25, 2nd Districk VA White Paper, Black ink
5. Ehrman Co. Milford NH Factory 42, 4th Districk NC Red Paper, Black ink
6. Ehrman Co. Milford NH Factory 42, 4th Districk NC White Paper, Black ink
7. Scroll, Factory 25, 2nd Districk VA White Paper, Black ink
8. Scroll, Factory 42, 4th Districk NC White Paper, Red ink
9. Blank Back, white Paper
10. Blank Back, Red Paper

Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Its fairly apparent that there are a number of different back variations in this set. Eventually it would be great to determine if certain backs are exclusive to individual pins/players.