NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Default www.vintagecardprices.com is now live.....

Posted By: Brian E.

I decided to give it at try and really enjoy it thus far. Time will tell if I decide if $10 a month is worth it or not but it does beat smartcollector hands down!

Brian E.

edited to add:
I can only imagine how much effort Bresdo put into this and if I only stick with it for one month spending $10, at least I partially rewarded him for his effort!

Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

whether or not people have an extra $10 is a personal issue. no reason to blast someone for not having the dispossable income.
as with most things in life, it's a personal choice.
and the fact that robert has spent his time and energy (and probably a bit of his own money too) is worth something.....at least to him.
if you don't want the service, then don't subscribe.
if you do want the service and do not want to pay for it, then you have personal issues.....

Old 06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Brian, I'm not saying he shouldn't be able to charge $10 or whatever he wants to for the site. He should be comnpentasted for his efforts. My beef is with Jim and his attitude. Personally, I could care less what he thinks of me. He's another pompous, santimonious ass that I don't need as a friend.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I just joined; the site is well done and easy to navigate. It's worth 10 bucks a month. Let's try not to turn this thread into class warfare, ok?

Old 06-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian E.

Jay, my response was in no way directed at you. You are completely entitled to your opinioned. Like you, I am not on six figure income (in fact I'm an unemployed grad student) but considering the money I've spent on purchases and sales in the last 30 days and next 30 days, the $10 is well spent. Additionally, Bresdo helped me to acquire a Cobb Carolina Brights so I thought I'd return the favor. Having said that, I do not know if it benefits me or not to continually pay $10 a month, I'll decide later.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

to properly yell at each other but I don't think anyone needs to be "comnpentasted". Reminds me of that funny old "badcock" thread.

Russ, Send me your address again. I have some T205's. Pay me when you can.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby

I see a lot of bickering going back and forth which is not needed. The bottom line is if you have a lot of time to watch the auctions and keep your own databases you won't need our service. And we only track graded cards because there is no way we can accuratly post values of raw cards, and if you only buy raw then again you don't need this service. The other feature "My Collection" can't be duplicated by yourself. It automatically updates evertime there is a sale of a card in your collection.

We have had a lot of sign ups and every new member has made positve comments about the service and functionality of the site. Have yet to get a single negative response.

One member told us we just saved him a few hundred dollars because he was about to sell a T3 and he found out it's value in our database, so he just paid for his service for the next 3 years.

But besides the services we offer we want you to make posts on cards and share your experience and knowledge with those that are just beginning. We have created a complete site that has more functions then you realize. With internal emails, comment posting...lots to offer for both the limited member and VIP member.

Old 06-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

This guy, and I don't know him, has put 1,000's of hours into a project that will likely be a benefit to most of us. Yet some of you are unwilling to reward his efforts. For some it's a matter of the money, for some it's just looking for a free ride.

I can appreciate those for whom $10 makes a difference. For that reason I am willing to pay for the first month for the first five guys (or gals) who email me with their paypal address. I will send their paypal accounts the $10 and then they can sign up.

email me at jacklitsch@comcast.net In the reference state "I need $10.00."

Old 06-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Steve, I edited out that Jim should do something like you offered. Major kudos to you and your offer. I'll pass on it because I buy cards so infrequently that I'd rather see someone else that can actually make use of the service get the use.

Brian E, my comments was directed towards Brian W, sorry about the confusion.

Brian W, I've been to 41 different countries, I know what true poverty is. I'm poor by US standards, but only if you measure wealth by money.

Jay

Old 06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Jay,
41 countries? Peace corp? Pilot? Roadie? No, I've got it Sudanese baseball card hunter.
Be well Brian

PS I agree "Wealth" means something different to everyone, and I guess rich and poor do as well in context. A rich sick man is probaly not as fortunate as a happy healthy broke guy living on the beach selling junk to tourist....

Old 06-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Ex-Navy and also used to work for airline, so I got to do a lot of traveling.

Jay

Old 06-22-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I know some people like to keep their own sales records and love doing it, I don't. It takes a lot of time and I don't have it. For 10 bucks a month, this site consolidates it all for me with easy access anytime. As time goes on and more sales history is added, it can only get better. I haven't even looked at the My Collection feature yet...personally, its all ready worth it to me.

And no I don't know Bobby.

Edited to add....I had a card sell on ebay last night and the resulting auction price realized showed up this morning.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I agree with Andy.
Whether or not somebody wants to spend $10 on a souvenir for their kid at a ballgame or on a monthly fee for an Internet site is their business. But these $10's add up, so unless anyone is willing to pay everyone's $10 monthly fee for them, keep your finances and judgments of others' to yourself.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Bobby... do you encourage or object to the use of your data and website on eBay listings such as this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1941-Play-Ball-71-Joe-DiMaggio-SGC-50_W0QQitemZ330000511905QQcategoryZ133065QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Edited to say... Just realized that you are the seller. Will you allow others to do the same in their listings?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Administrator

It is my card that I am selling and I am doing it to get exposure for the site and reach customers that do not participate in the VIN54 board. And the answer to your question is if someone that is selling a card in an action thay can state that the card is worth X amount of dollars on VCP. Can they do post ups like I did that would be a "NO" it would be in violation of their user agreement with VCP.

Right now we just started everything has been great the site is functioning wonderfully, the members have all complimented on the ease of use and what a well made site. We just want to get the name out there and get people in this community that we have created. There is so much details in this site I am still learning them.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

The item was relisted, here's the new link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1941-Play-Ball-71-Joe-DiMaggio-SGC-50_W0QQitemZ230001183983QQihZ013QQcategoryZ133065Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Administrator

The item wa pulled by eBay because we had a link from the banner to VCP and it is against the rules. They called and said everything was fine as long as there was no link, so it is back up.

Old 06-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck

That's an excellent eBay layout but FWIW, I see two problems with it:

1. You show "Latest Auction Prices" which could be stale before the auction closes

2. You show an image (in the Profile) of a card you aren't selling that could be confusing.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Johnson

My only comment is that by indicating what the last several "sold" prices were, to some buyers you set an artificial ceiling. Bargain hunters who might have bid higher will not exceed these amounts as they might have if they did not have this visibility. So - from a seller's perspective, this information is a two-edged sword.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Gentleman,

I listed the items this way not as a selling tool but looking at it as an advertisement to my website. The more people that view it will see some of the VIP features that we offer and hopefully will come to the site themselves. And so far it is working we have gotten a number of sign ups due to these listing. I do not expect the cards to sell for more then what was listed and am chalking it up to an advertisement costs. Thought it was a good idea to get our name out there to the masses not every collector knows about the vin54 board.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Board members,

I just wanted to give you an idea about the capabilities of this site and what it does for all of those people out there who like to track there own.

As of now we have 37,101 cards listed in our database.

There are 47 possible grades for the big 3 companies.

So do the math 37,101 X 47=1,743,747 pages of information at your disposal and growing. And then you can multiply this by 25 because that is how many auctions we hold of each card per grade.

You can search ebay but they only hold results for 90 days as well as the other services. And then you have to filter through the results to find out what you need if it is even there to start. Or system gives you a link to the ebay auction for you to see yoursel if it is still active.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

Sounds great, but would never subscribe to online services without a truly free trial period. I think you've done a good job explaining what thesite can do, and the reviews sound good... but if you really believe in your product and trust it as much as you say, then you might want to think about it.

Sorry, I know you've heard this before.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CCespedes

I think that trial periods do make sense for some sites, like dating sites maybe. But even if you do get a trial with most sites, they don't give you access to all of their content until you shell out some dough.

With this site, I understand why a free trial of ALL VIP features is not an option because some people would use it to get the values of their cards during that period and would not bother to pay because they've already got what they need. There are tons of sites that dont offer trial periods and it's because their data is just too valuable, and there are some cheapskates that would simply keep signing up for free trials under different names for the reason stated above.

There has been tons of work put into the site by the looks of it and I dont blame them for not wanting to allow free trials. If you really care to find the value of your cards, pay the $10 even if it's only for a month, get what you need and cancel. You never know, maybe you'll find that you want to keep the service.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

The site sounds really usefull or we wouldn't be asking for trials. It's just a matter of business, and the loss you take in people abusing the trials you hope to make up in solid customers who value the site. The Hollywood Creative directory would be a good business model. Film industry people subscribe so they have access to an ever changing database...but they give a trial. it shows they believe in their site, and are willing to risk a trial.

Most of the arguments against the trials could also double for reasons not to subscribe (If I could get everything I needed out of it in a trial period, why would I want to subscribe anyway then!?)...

But I really wasn't trying to open up this debate again. I was just being honest in stating I wish there was a trial.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I have to agree with edacra that subscribing to an annual service without a trial evaluation period is probably not wise. But how long of a trial is needed? Well you do not really know that until you see what features are available and determine which of those you are interested in.

This is probably why vintagecardprices.com offers a monthly trial evaluation period. It seems reasonable that a trial of this type of service should be paid for by the potential subscriber. And $10./mo. appears reasonable to me.

Old 06-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

I just signed on and certainly feel is is worth $9.99 a month. Looks like a lot of content, and found realized prices on most everything I spot checked.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

I just signed up mainly based on Anthony's recommendation.

Very pleased... on the format and content. Easy to use. Great pictures.

Not pleased....you have to agree to a $9.99 per month recurring charge on your CC. That means unless you stop it, the fee is automatically billed to your card every month. I tend to forget about such stuff and would have preferred to re-up monthly.

Second, the first search I did was for a 1926 SGC 88 SCA Ruth from the May Sotheby-SCP auction. The card was not there! I know there are growing pains with a new site, but if I pay for something, I expect it to be accurate.

Frank

Old 07-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Administrator

As I told you via e-mail 3 minutes before you posted this on the board that we would get the results in soon. Well the SCP results are now in the site...we have gotten numerus requests to add things and we are doing so happily... we have added an additional 15 sets in the past week and as said will eventually have every set in the system. I think we are off to a good start with 416 sets and 37,132 cards in the database.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Well, my next 20 inquiries were perfect and I spent some time creating a Cobb and Matty "portfolio" of my cards which was fun, so I would have to give the site a thumbs up!

Frank

Old 07-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Mueller

I just signed up for smartcollector.com and tried searching for something I bought less then 2 weeks ago. It came back as unable to find anything. How reliable is it?

I signed up for vcp and found it to be excellent.

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/>