NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-31-2018, 11:05 AM

Default recent auto counterfeits - the effects on auto collecting??

with the recent T206 counterfeit auto's out there, I was always leary about autos in general.....they just seem to easy that someone could fake.....

anyway, with these new developments (which has always been a hobby problem)

Are you more likely to stay away from autos in general????

unless you have the provenance of photos of the piece being signed ect ect

because TPG's obviously just sell "opinions"

and we know about opinions everyone has one
Old 12-31-2018, 01:23 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
with the recent T206 counterfeit auto's out there, I was always leary about autos in general.....they just seem to easy that someone could fake.....
I think the market for prewar signed cards has taken breath to reflect and calm down. I don’t think the overall autograph market will change for most guys like Mantle, Williams, Jeter, etc etc. Modern stuff will probably be fine. But the next signed goudey or T206 will be subject to Mannys approval.
Outside of this board, I don’t think many people in the hobby are even aware of it yet.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:21 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

On a personal level, I am shying away from autographs more these days.

Much of the lustre has worn off for me (for the time-being, anyway) and there are so many other segments of the hobby to collect... both in terms of cards and memorabilia.

The TPGs are "iffy" at best (nothing new) and I've always favored doing my own homework over blind reliance on them. But this whole episode just adds another negative variable, and makes me want to shift my interest elsewhere.

I'm sure the hardcore autograph guys will remain undeterred, but it's never been my primary focus, anyway.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:37 PM

Default Autographs

Quote:

This sad development hasn’t negatively impacted high-end signed cards whatsoever. During the extensive Net54 T206 thread, SCP realized the 2nd highest price for a 52 Topps Signed Mantle ($83K) and recorded an extremely strong $41K sake for a signed 51 Mantle Bowman rookie. They also set Various records for a few other Mantle autographed cards. Not to be outdone, a 1928 Lou Gehrig Signed exhibit realized a staggering $77K record sale in Memory Lane. The highest amount ever paid for a signed Lou Gehrig card. REA had just set a record for a signed Babe Ruth Goudey that fetched $132K! Bottom line here is that high-end signed cards are stronger than ever, and a bad incident is not going to dismantle the premium signed baseball card market

Last edited by Vintageclout; 12-31-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-31-2018, 03:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One of those Historic Autographs things with a card and cut in a custom PSA/DNA slab sold the other night in Sterling with a T206 Flick and Flick 'shaky old man' cut for $167 including vig. The card was a decent looking g-vg Piedmont 150 which would have gone for $100-$150 as a slabbed card in and of itself. So, basically, the bidders discounted the PSA/DNA cut signature to a very low value.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-31-2018, 04:19 PM

Default imagine

dumping near close to 100k on a high end auto, and the tpg got it wrong, chet in the back "cooked" up the auto....too risky....

I would want a photo of the player signing the piece!
Old 12-31-2018, 04:29 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

There is only one Auto I’m chasing in 2019. Nile Kinnick is the major whole in my Heisman collection. I believe if I find one with the right provenance I’ll pull the trigger.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:38 PM

Default Autographs

Quote:
dumping near close to 100k on a high end auto, and the tpg got it wrong, chet in the back "cooked" up the auto....too risky....

I would want a photo of the player signing the piece!
High end collectors have spent a lot more on pre-war high grade cards residing in 8, 9 and 10 holders, as well as major game used uniforms/equipment. Do the 3rd party graders have these types of collectibles at a 100% certainty level? The simple answer is no. Vast collecting niches in this hobby require sone “leap of faith” based on the TPG’s assessments, not just autographs. If it makes the collector uncomfortable, stay away. If it doesn’t, God Bless and go for it. Most collectors with high-end purse strings continue to prove they will test that “leap of faith” collecting angle, and don’t expect that to change in the near future.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:45 PM
Bob Donaldson

I had always thought that some day after the mortgage was set and retirement $ was in good shape, that I would really splurge and get a signed Ruth Goudey. PSA/JSA.

I'm a year or so away from being able to do that. I've changed my mind
Old 12-31-2018, 04:50 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Wasnt there a fake Magie portrait posted in a psa 5 holder? Money wise, it probably beats all the signed t206s in the whole thread added up. Funny that the title is "too many to list". What about the fake missing color, ghosts, and scraps, trimmed high grade t206s, etc, etc. Ad nauseam.

These seem light years easier to fake. I'll stick to buying autos.

Sell now while you can!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-31-2018, 05:37 PM

Default Bob....

I'm in complete agreement with you....

Ted....I hear you, but it would be 1000 % easier to just sign a piece instead of cooking up a scrap or ghost....how could you add cardboard without extensive work??? or create ghosts and try to wash out color ect.....all undertakings that would require extensive work for the profit involved....some almost insane to do(like adding extra borders ect)

also, magie and doyle have been tried to be faked, but they are super focused on now, and can be fairly easy to detect(black lights, 20x loupes).....I'm sure there is a possibility, but no way like the ease of signing an auto....I hate to say it, but I'm sure many kids could do a great job at it

trimming cards and getting them holdered also occurs, but prob these above mentioned things- fake doyle, magies, creating scraps ect would be much more difficult or take some kind of advanced skill to try to pull it off.....I'm sure there are some that have probably slipped by, but I'm going to venture not like the scale of a potential autograph deceptions...

too easy to pick up a pen or sharpie and practice...thousands could probably even do a great job....

unfortunately, no real 100% way to tell with autos....unless you got it yourself or have some kind of provenance, family, photos ect.....and even then the piece could be swapped out....

unfortunately, this scammer with the t206 signing counterfeit sham shed light on the ugly proverbial elephant in the room....and has brought the skeptical perception now on autos which sucks!

if I was going to get a legit auto, I would want a check or legal document or a photo to accompany/be the piece for added value/confirmation of being legit...

Ted....do not want to bash auto collecting, I know you have a beautiful auto collection and do not want to take away any of that prestige, or thunder from anyones hard work and money and years they have pumped into it.....

just very disappointing that a few money hungry greedy basatrds ruin shit for many of the legit pieces.....now a lot of doubt is raised on all autos, not like it hasn't in the past, but the skepticism is even worse now that tps are fooled a lot more....autos are just too easy to fake

just plain sucks!
Old 12-31-2018, 05:42 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
High end collectors have spent a lot more on pre-war high grade cards residing in 8, 9 and 10 holders, as well as major game used uniforms/equipment. Do the 3rd party graders have these types of collectibles at a 100% certainty level? The simple answer is no. Vast collecting niches in this hobby require sone “leap of faith” based on the TPG’s assessments, not just autographs. If it makes the collector uncomfortable, stay away. If it doesn’t, God Bless and go for it. Most collectors with high-end purse strings continue to prove they will test that “leap of faith” collecting angle, and don’t expect that to change in the near future.
Vintageclout makes a great point regarding the "leap of faith" among virtually all collectors, not just vintage cards/memorabilia. It starts with the fact that most collectibles have an intrinsic value of close to $0. The value we attach to these collectibles is a matter of psychology and people have proved throughout history that they want to attach sometimes immense amounts of value to items that don't inherently have any. Tulip bulbs anyone? To someone unfamiliar with our culture, investments in old pieces of cardboard with images on them -- many of which are altered -- would seem as ludicrous as buying coins, stamps, antiques...or tulip bulbs.

How about paper currency? It's only worth as much as collective faith in the monetary system. Speaking of faith, how did the Church become the most powerful force in the modern world for hundreds of years? Most people are prone to believe -- that underpins everything and always will.

How many perceived hobby crises do we have to go through before people come to the conclusion that the next crisis is not going to destroy a large segment of the hobby? The answer is many more. Why? There is so much money involved that there will continue to be "bad actors," and those prone to catastrophisizing and generalizing will mistake discoveries of the deeds of those bad actors as a doomsday scenario.

It will take a sustained downturn in risky assets where high-end spenders have most of their exposure (e.g., real estate, stocks) for psychology to be shaken, not a net54 thread, despite how good the work on that thread was. Mark Twain could have been talking about vintage card autographs when he wrote "the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." I don't think he's turning over in his grave about our latest crisis.

Last edited by griffon512; 01-01-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:49 PM

Default well

my leap of faith won't be with my wallet

too easy to fake an auto....give a kid a pen and a few hours to practice and James Spence will be fooled
Old 12-31-2018, 05:57 PM

Default Autographs.

Quote:
my leap of faith won't be with my wallet

too easy to fake an auto....give a kid a pen and a few hours to practice and James Spence will be fooled
Card doctoring just as easy....if not more. To each his own.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:11 PM

Default card doctoring

I'm sure can be done.....but I highly doubt as easy as picking up a pen or sharpie and a few hours practice....

try this with a twelve year old......I'm sure 5 out of 10 could prob fake an auto and get it through jsa....within a few hours....

then give the kid a t206 and have him create big bordered ghost image scrap or pull a magie error off with out detection of altering or trim up a nice 8....

aint gonna happen, only with the most advanced crooks maybe, just maybe....

simple logic.....auto are just to easy to fake...by just about anyone....sucks but true!!!

mantle and babe, I hate to say, prob 30 % or more are prob fakes(just an arbitrary number)....

to each his own definitely.....but I cant see dumping 30k or more on a cobb auto that may have a 50/50 shot at actually being legit...

make sense????

too easy to do....for so many people, cost nothing(pen ink) an a 12 year old could do it...

scary shit
Old 12-31-2018, 06:19 PM

Default btw....

the t206 counterfeiter is so stupid, he/she purchased the cards from ebay!

DUH!

eventually, someone would catch on......person doesn't seem too smart....just another douchebag a - hole with a pen

that was their high tech gear
Old 12-31-2018, 06:34 PM
James

Quote:
I'm sure can be done.....but I highly doubt as easy as picking up a pen or sharpie and a few hours practice....

try this with a twelve year old......I'm sure 5 out of 10 could prob fake an auto and get it through jsa....within a few hours....

then give the kid a t206 and have him create big bordered ghost image scrap or pull a magie error off with out detection of altering or trim up a nice 8....

simple logic.....auto are just to easy to fake...by just about anyone....sucks but true!!!

mantle and babe, I hate to say, prob 30 % or more are prob fakes(just an arbitrary number)....

to each his own definitely.....but I cant see dumping 30k or more on a cobb auto that may have a 50/50 shot at actually being legit...

make sense????

too easy to do....for so many people, cost nothing(pen ink) an a 12 year old could do it...

scary shit
i completely get why you would be reluctant to buy high-end autos so don't open up your wallet for it...but we all should recognize that the market is made outside of us individually or as a board community. the person who paid ~$76,000 for a gehrig signed 1928 exhibit (sold previously for ~$53,000 a little over a year ago) is not concerned about reselling it to you or me! if they have a money concern, it's probably about how their stock market investments are going to do? their concern about the signed gehrig exhibit is probably relegated to who they can invite over to show it off to or when they will get bored of it?

Last edited by griffon512; 12-31-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:56 PM

Default James....

completely agree....if you have cash to literally to burn its not much of a concern....a rough 70 % shot at it being legit is good enough for them

I could see idiots trying to fake Cobbs....a few minutes and BAM! a 30 k card....

lets do a joe jax while they are at it! he probably signed almost nothing cause he couldn't write....

but maybe ray liotta can do it!
Old 12-31-2018, 07:02 PM
Ben North

Quote:

make sense????

scary shit
I respectfully highly disagree. Don't get me wrong I 100% agree that almost anyone with practice can forge an autograph. The same thing goes with doctoring up a card.

As someone who was a mason for many years it is something that 99.99% of people can't just do without a lot of practice. Those that try have some ugly looking finished product. I can guarantee the average brick layer is not very intelligent even though they are the highest paid trade. Yet they can give you a beautiful house or fireplace because they know how.

Same with card doctoring it is not hard once you know how.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Ben....

i agree also, a card could be doctored also, but what to doctor???

a corner?? a wrinkle?? soak a card???

I would imagine it would be hard to create national on joe doyle......

maybe trying to doctor magie, but that is difficult im sure....

most of my scrap left are impossible to forge, especially the fat bordered grossly big bordered , weird cuts, the yellow browns ect...the whole card would have to be created and the ones I have are legit...

so I'm not too sure how , at least, t206 can be altered more??? maybe trimmed cards....but I'm sure its not even close to the scale of forged autos...

bats, balls, index cards, 8 X 10's, anything signed, to me, is questionable unless there is provenance....

obviously, card doctoring can be done, and I am sure it is, but it is not , I'm sure, as prevelant in comparison to autos....

autos are just too easy to forge....

take a magee, try to "doctor" the e into an i and try to get it into a tpa....I'm sure they would detect it....there probably not too many people on the planet could pull it off, and if they did/could, it would be beyond skill...

so I'm not sure what else could be doctored???? even the fake rare backs were caught....?????

the profit margin isn't there on trying to fake/forge other cards....how many fake magies do you think a forger is going to get through??? 1 maybe if the stars aligned and the graders were sleeping...

I'm just saying, to go to that extent to try to forge big cards or try to replicate t206 as scrap is highly unlikely....almost slim to none...

show some examples???

not many to be found....

on the other hand, the surface , I'm sure, is just scraped!! this is the tip of the iceberg I'm sure....

now tpg can't even be trusted....I can see making a mistake on 1 or 2 but dozens of these????????????

if the t206 forger didn't buy the cards on ebay, no one would have ever figured it out!

NOW THAT IS SCARY!!!!!!

how many other cards were bought at shows, the forgers just signed the item in the bathroom, then submits to james spence???

I wonder how many cobbs or mantles were cooked up while the forger sat on the toilet at a card show??? dropping # 2's and laughing his/her ass off as they submit to jsa for a multi k payoff from a 20 dollar investment?

ugh.....when it comes to autos, it's beyond scary....just use logic ....it's common sense on this one....

this has happened over many years within the hobby with autos....

I believe , the future autos with concrete evidence (photos, testimonials of witnesses, provenance) will be highly prized....

so, lesson learned....if you are getting something autoed, take a picture and a picture of the piece....document it....

I have watched every episode of pawn stars too much
Old 01-01-2019, 05:19 AM

Will PSA honor the guarantee on the autograph cards? I would think buying PSA wouldn't be very affected due to the protection if so.

Last edited by murphy8276; 01-01-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:51 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Where can I adopt a 12 year old that can forge autos? I have a 2 year old that can make cuts with scissors though, or leave a card in the sun.

I get the gist of the thread, but you are deluding yourself of you truly think it isnt many times easier to "doctor" a card in any way, than it is to forge and auto past any TPG, and I'll include Spence in that group as well.

Mind you the thread billed as "too many (forgeries) to list" has what 5 or 6 cards? All from the same forger, to the same auction house or 2? Let's skip the Doyle as I believe PSA is a bit overly cautious on that one. That isn't a whole heck of a lot, more so when the t206 Holy grail Wagner, the torchbearer of the hobby, was admittedly trimmed with matching photos. The value on that psa 8, outweighs the thread of forged autos by a little, and had no affect on the hobby.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:01 AM
Bruce Fairchild

About 15 years ago I thought it would be cool to frame pics (another hobby, framing) of TV western stars and their autographs that were on 3x5 index cards. I bought 15 or 20 pics and autographed cards from eBay, none of which had a COA. I didn't care as I wouldn't be reselling and I didn't want to pay a lot of money.
More recently I have been bidding/buying pre-war hof autographed postcards, all PSA/DNA. Again, will probably never will sell.
This will be the extent of my autograph collection.
http://net54baseball.com/attachment....1&d=1546347602
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 132.jpg (73.7 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg 133.jpg (74.4 KB, 365 views)
Old 01-01-2019, 06:26 AM
M.ichael Yaz.back

I've collected autographs for years, but always in person. I get them at shows or at the AAA minor league park where I live. I'm fortunate that the front office usually brings in star players to sign throughout the season, just for the cost of admission. Usually a half dozen or so. I've gotten autographs of Rod Carew, Paul Molitor, Cal Ripken, Jim Rice and Harmon Killebrew at the park...just to name a few. The show autographs can get pricey depending on the player, but at least I have the confidence my stuff is real when I am enjoying it in the man cave. To me, that's worth the cost. Buying an autograph I did not witness??..too risky for me in today's memorabilia market.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 AM

Default Vinnie....

I think that's going to be to future of collecting pieces like this....

basically either acquiring yourself, or getting photos and documentation....

paperwork(like pawn stars)

a t206 with the return envelope for example is starter...

or a photo of the person signing the item.....

an admission ticket saved from the park that day, a program accompanying the item....

some back up proof is going to be needed in the future I see to combat all these forgeries....

John Vanderbeck

they are "diluting" the good ones....

tpgs and james spence ect are really going to be "iffy" and those items will now always be questioned of their authenticity(even if it is legit)....

the only way to get authentic/real is back up with documentation, certified letters, witnesses, programs, statements, photos, ect....

more provenance= more validity=more value

sad it has come to this

Last edited by mrvster; 01-01-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:34 AM

Default Ted....

you are great people, and I can understand why the defense.....

but comparing apples and oranges here....

faded out / washed out T206 cards, collectors are wise to.....advanced collectors now can EASILY differentiate between a "washed" out card, or a truly missing ink scrap....

that's why TPG are rarely even grading these anymore.....THEY ACTUALLY GOT WISE....maybe they will with the autos???

that's why you see a washed out card on EBAY and someone is "claiming" it's missing ink, and it sits on ebay for years for $400 dollars....they will be lucky to get $100 or $200 and its still "iffy"

these missing ink cards are barely getting a few hundred if lucky...

the true missing ink cards are hard to detect.....

scrap is totally different- true scrap has characteristics that are nearly impossible to fake.....try creating(except a franken wagner and spending 14 k to a conservator)....you can't simply ADD big wonky borders, that's why I like my scraps way over or grossly miscut ect....truly proves the validity....

trimming cards- I'm sure that takes skill to get it past a TPG(although it happens)......not many people could trim a card up and get it into a 8 or a 9 holder.....it does probably happen when the grader is dozing off that day...

the Wagner 8 is a poor example.....that had corruption written all over it, and is a high profile type of conspiracy on that card.....bad mojo

kids, now a days, are super smart.....

go into any middle school .....give them examples of SIGNATURES.....FAMOUS AUTOS ECT......

have them practice autos.....I bet you get 2 out of 10 that are pretty talented with a ball point or a pen or a sharpie....these kids have a lot of talent artistically....i'll bet, 2 of the 10 can PROBABLY FAKE A MANTLE PRETTY GOOD....

id even bet.....get them to actually auto index cards....I bet 2 of the 10 would get through a TPG....

now, take the same group......give them high profile cards......have them trim them, and try to pass a TPG....a possibility, but the probability is highly unlikely....

now, take same group of 12 year old.....give them some T206.....have them "wash out" certain colors.....have them try to create a MAGIE out of a MAGEE.....have them try to add N'TL....have them try to create extra 100 year old cardboard, and paste them on the borders of T206, create template ghost images in the same period ink and create cards and get them past graders.....NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

if an attempt was made, id love to see it....

better yet....my challenge- id love to see someones creation and try to get the scan by me I probably don't even need to see it in person to tell if it is legit or not......

maybe if you created one digitally, that would be the only way...

the litholgraphy is too easy to distinguish....

my point......there is always going to be beat shit in the hobby.....there are fakes of all cards I'm sure, some even probably get by......that's why we are so critical of these.... but not EVEN CLOSE TO THE AMOUNT OF AUTOED PIECES......the ability of BASICALLY ANYONE being able , or have the potential to fake an auto .....its been going on for hundreds, if not thousands of years!

cumulatively....if the t206 forger could have faked 100 or more of these......

100X1000 each card

that's one idiot alone with a pen.......'

think of ten idiots with sharpies and pens.....

it's a scary scenario......

it would suck to have too much vested in autos if their validity is always questioned.......it's terrible how a few can really mess up a great hobby for everyone else.....

the lesson- future autoes should be accompanied with extra "proof" if you will......documentation......extra expert analysis......photos....testimonials....

MORE STUFF!
Old 01-01-2019, 09:53 AM

Default Ted....

just want to make clear.....don't want to offend you in anyway......you are great people....and when I said "get defensive" ....I felt your pain many years ago with scrap... when you pour so much time and energy into collecting something, it is discouraging as a few individuals can ruin or least worsen values and question items because of their stupidity and greed....

years ago that guy pat tried to pass off an overprint bar on an old mill scrap...wonka, jim, tim, and a bunch of other guys busted him....scraps have always been under intense scrutiny since.....with multiple expert opinions on each card.....I would make sure mine were 100 percent before picking up or trading for them....it scared the shit out of all of us.....since then, we have all been on super lookout for anything error/variation or scraps that were questionable......since then , the scraps cooled off due to a niche market and about 25 big collectors getting out of the hobby....

so, I know how it feels.....what I collectied was always under the micro scope(errors, scraps)......I shifted my focus and started with cobbs and always loved the rare backs too.....I still collect scraps, but are very cautious on what I pick up or trade for.....it's easy to differentiate for me now if anything looks scetch..and now I can tell pretty easily....

anyway, I have a lot of other friends/collectors who have huge auto collections....cards....memo...ect....they are not happy about the recent t206 forgeries....just brings back into light how easy it is to forge an auto, and pretty easy to slip by graders....

this has huge implications.....kinda opens the floodgates on the abundance of autoed pieces questionability of "is it really legit?"

these t206 forgeries, unfortunately, are probably just the tip of the ice berg

probably runs ramped in the auto world.....just scary, because I have a few friends who are heavily vested in autos....

sucks.....
Old 01-01-2019, 11:06 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I can understand, but they are many more doctored cards in holders than fake autos that have slipped by TPGs. I don't see people running away from high end cards. In fact TPGs exist almost solely out of the fraud , and over grading that ran rampant in the hobby.

I was just picking on scraps and missing ink to make a point regarding t206s. What about rebacked cards, etc etc.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Default Ted....

I hear you my man! what a mess

you are great people
Old 01-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Default Autographs

Quote:
I hear you my man! what a mess

you are great people
The hobby survived “Operation Bullpen” which was an absolute nightmare w/regard to the weeding out many fake autographs. Coming back extremely strong to realize incredible pricing points on high end autographs. This T206 mess is a “molecule” compared to those prior issues, and with all due respect, the autograph collecting industry will once again brush aside this blip. Simply stated, that IS the most likely scenario. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 01:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I think many of us can determine whether the cards that we collect are trimmed or rebacked. I know I can. However, I think very few if any of us can definitively say if an autograph on a card is genuine or forged. Therefore, unless I see the player signing the card, or it has impeccable provenance, I will stay away, far, far away.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I think many of us can determine whether the cards that we collect are trimmed or rebacked. I know I can. However, I think very few if any of us can definitively say if an autograph on a card is genuine or forged. Therefore, unless I see the player signing the card, or it has impeccable provenance, I will stay away, far, far away.

This.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-01-2019, 03:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
The hobby survived “Operation Bullpen” which was an absolute nightmare w/regard to the weeding out many fake autographs. Coming back extremely strong to realize incredible pricing points on high end autographs. This T206 mess is a “molecule” compared to those prior issues, and with all due respect, the autograph collecting industry will once again brush aside this blip. Simply stated, that IS the most likely scenario. Happy New Year!
^^This^^ Sadly besides the few people that actually ended up with the 5 or 6 cards that got pointed out I doubt anybody really cares. With cards we have had proof with before and after pictures of very high end cards being doctored. Then had several people stick up for the sellers of the altered cards. That is the reality of our hobby.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
About 15 years ago I thought it would be cool to frame pics (another hobby, framing) of TV western stars and their autographs that were on 3x5 index cards. I bought 15 or 20 pics and autographed cards from eBay, none of which had a COA. I didn't care as I wouldn't be reselling and I didn't want to pay a lot of money.
More recently I have been bidding/buying pre-war hof autographed postcards, all PSA/DNA. Again, will probably never will sell.
This will be the extent of my autograph collection.
http://net54baseball.com/attachment....1&d=1546347602
I am partly OCD. It bothers me just to look at the frame covering the light switches. :|
Old 01-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelaiTorres83 View Post
I am partly OCD. It bothers me just to look at the frame covering the light switches. :|
Lol,me too. I temporarily hung it there for the photo. Maybe I should have cropped it.😏
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Lol,me too. I temporarily hung it there for the photo. Maybe I should have cropped it.😏
So now you have a hole in the wall there that needs patching? There goes the OCD again.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:59 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Haha, no, no, no. I replaced the original pic- a Vanity Fair print.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

I just received a Heritage pamphlet for an upcoming auction on Feb 23rd-24th.

In it it shows a 1948 Babe Ruth single signed baseball PSA/DNA Mint 9 that shows it sold for $228,000 dollars once upon a time.
As you open the pamphlet up, right in the middle it shows another 1948 Babe Ruth single signed Baseball, PSA/DNA NM-MT 8 with only an estimate of $50,000?

Is there that much of a difference between a signed 9 and 8 or is this a reflection of the current signed card/memorabilia story that is going on?

I looked for the auction on their website but could not find it? I did notice this, however.
https://blog.ha.com/2017/10/sports-a...natures-101917
Old 01-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Default Ruth Signed Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I just received a Heritage pamphlet for an upcoming auction on Feb 23rd-24th.

In it it shows a 1948 Babe Ruth single signed baseball PSA/DNA Mint 9 that shows it sold for $228,000 dollars once upon a time.
As you open the pamphlet up, right in the middle it shows another 1948 Babe Ruth single signed Baseball, PSA/DNA NM-MT 8 with only an estimate of $50,000?

Is there that much of a difference between a signed 9 and 8 or is this a reflection of the current signed card/memorabilia story that is going on?

I looked for the auction on their website but could not find it? I did notice this, however.
https://blog.ha.com/2017/10/sports-a...natures-101917
Give or take, that is indeed the difference between a Ruth ball w/an overall PSA 8 vs. 9 grade. Absolutely. FYI, the large disparity in pricing is due to the minimal number of PSA 9 single signed Ruth balls in circulation. They are few and far between. A PSA 8 ball is great, but they are not extremely rare at the 8 grade. Once again, similar to a high-grade baseball card with a low pop, pricing is based on supply vs. demand. There are many eccentric enthusiasts that crave to own a Mint 9 Ruth ball, with minimal opportunities to capture one.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Give or take, that is indeed the difference between a Ruth ball w/an overall PSA 8 vs. 9 grade. Absolutely. FYI, the large disparity in pricing is due to the minimal number of PSA 9 single signed Ruth balls in circulation. They are few and far between. A PSA 8 ball is great, but they are not extremely rare at the 8 grade. Once again, similar to a high-grade baseball card with a low pop, pricing is based on supply vs. demand. There are many eccentric enthusiasts that crave to own a Mint 9 Ruth ball, with minimal opportunities to capture one.
As I don't play the auto game, exactly what differences are they looking for that are noticed between a sig designated an 8 or a 9?

It seems silly to me, but that's jmo, on how a sig can be designated a grade the same way a card can be?

I can understand an old faded one compared to a well preserved one but if say, Ruth for example signed it, what makes his signature less worthy compared to other ones he has signed?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I had a proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, signed Ruth card or ball, I really don't think I'd be concerning myself with how well it was written by him.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM

I guess I'm lucky as this doesn't affect me at all.

I never understood why someone would pay top money for a pristine card, but would also pay top money for a card with writing on it because it was "autographed".

Either we as collectors think pristine cards have value or we as collectors think cards with writing (call them "autographs" instead of graffiti if you prefer) have value. But to my mind ... you CAN'T have both be valuable. They are contradictions of each other!!!

Actually in truth, I never understood why you would pay a premium for either a pristine or autographed card.

So, as a result - I never buy either. And I've never made any money off of my hobby - but I've also never lost any!

I can live with that.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Ruth Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
As I don't play the auto game, exactly what differences are they looking for that are noticed between a sig designated an 8 or a 9?

It seems silly to me, but that's jmo, on how a sig can be designated a grade the same way a card can be?

I can understand an old faded one compared to a well preserved one but if say, Ruth for example signed it, what makes his signature less worthy compared to other ones he has signed?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I had a proven, beyond a reasonable doubt, signed Ruth card or ball, I really don't think I'd be concerning myself with how well it was written by him.
As you know, the value of virtually everything in the hobby is highly driven by optics/aesthetics. A graded Ruth ball has two variables: the grade for the ball and the grade for the signature, from which a “TOTAL GRADE” is calculated. Typically, it’s a simple formula: (Ball Grade + Auto Grade)/2. However, PSA will give half bumps based on excellent eye appeal. For instance, a 6 ball grade and 7 signature grade with super eye appeal may be given an overall 7 grade (vs. the 6.5 formula grade) if PSA feels the overall aesthetics merit a bump. Totally subjective. Regarding whether a signature should be graded an 8 or 9, we are unfortunately at the mercy of the authenticators. I’ve seen 8s that should be 9s and vice-versa. No different than the ongoing complaints we hear from collectors who are upset with their card submission grades/assessments.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

So what you are saying is Marino was better sometimes than others? How does anyone really know?

Quote:
Old 01-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Default Autographs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
So what you are saying is Marino was better sometimes than others? How does anyone really know?
Leon - For the most part, Grad, Keating & Spence are good at what they do. Especially with higher-end autographs. Are mistakes made...yes. But no less mistakes than TPGs in other areas of this hobby. If you think otherwise, you are only fooling yourself. If I had a dollar bill for every thread I’ve seen on the 54 board complaining about a card that should not be numerically graded for whatever reason, I could retire right now. Who are we kidding here???? To pick on just autographs borders on insanity....
Old 01-03-2019, 04:30 PM

Default wow

Vintageclout.......

in all due respect, it is super super super super super easy to fake an autograph I am sure....all you have to do is pick up a pen/sharpie and let 'er rip

just saying....

future will need more "proof" that an item is the real deal....

where is tillman frititta??????????
Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Autographs

Quote:
Vintageclout.......

in all due respect, it is super super super super super easy to fake an autograph I am sure....all you have to do is pick up a pen/sharpie and let 'er rip

just saying....

With all due respect.....you are WRONG!!!!! If you think just anyone can get a prominent autograph like ruth, gehrig, Mathewson, etc. past Grad, Keating, Spence, etc. you are BADLY MISTAKEN. You obviously don’t collect high end autographs so this conversation is out of your league. But, I might add, there are nearly 3,000 8, 9, 10 graded T206s on the PSA pop chart and you feel comfortable that all of those 110 year old cards miraculously retained a majority of their original factory issued condition without any tampering.....ok.....
Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

There is immeasurable fraud in the card hobby with faking, altering and everything else in between. It isn't only autographs which are plagued. At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what each of us are comfortable collecting. Good luck in the hunt!!

Quote:
Leon - For the most part, Grad, Keating & Spence are good at what they do. Especially with higher-end autographs. Are mistakes made...yes. But no less mistakes than TPGs in other areas of this hobby. If you think otherwise, you are only fooling yourself. If I had a dollar bill for every thread I’ve seen on the 54 board complaining about a card that should not be numerically graded for whatever reason, I could retire right now. Who are we kidding here???? To pick on just autographs borders on insanity....
Old 01-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Default Autographs

Quote:
Vintageclout.......

just saying....

My final point is that while 3rd party autograph experts at times do make mistakes, the same scenario easily exists for the hobby”s card graders. Laser cutting advancements, undisclosed restoration, etc. have elevated card doctoring to a new level whereby card doctors are now even working on enhancing NEW cards (there is a current thread on this issue). To isolate the autograph collecting angle as being too risky (vs. high grade cards as an example) is ridiculous.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:58 PM

Default Autograph collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is immeasurable fraud in the card hobby with faking, altering and everything else in between. It isn't only autographs which are plagued. At the end of the day I guess it comes down to what each of us are comfortable collecting. Good luck in the hunt!!
Leon - no better way of saying it! To each his own!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:21 PM

Default Vintageclout.....

it proves that tpgs are really sloppy, e not just a mistake here and there...just recently with these t206 ALOT went through......2 dozen or more and probably a lot more...

you must be heavily invested in auto stuff......I would be nervous and defensive too