NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Dan Bl@u

Default What's your best "no back scan" surprise?

It's always fun when you take a chance on a card where the seller doesn't have a scan of the reverse, and then it arrives with a rare back. I won this T205 toughie a couple days ago, no back scan provided. It arrived today and was a P42, which was a nice surprise. Nothing earth-shattering, I know, but a good deal nonetheless.

What's the best "no back scan" surprise you've received in the mail?

Old 10-23-2017, 02:51 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I bought a T213 Coupon that I figured must be a type 2, when it arrived it was a type 3. I sold the card , so no scan to show.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-23-2017, 03:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1927 Exhibit Rixey with back coupon stamp. The coupon program started in earnest in 1928 with the PCL and regular sets but you can find the occasional '27 with a coupon on it, probably from a very last gasp stock of the cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-23-2017, 04:59 PM
Sean Costello

I bought a T206 Merkle with a Piedmont back. The seller provided a scan of the back, but it was a poor scan. The sales price was about $30. When the card arrived I found out that it was a Factory 42.

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg
Old 10-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Jamie

Bought a group of about 100 T206's back in 2008 and there were 3 black back Southern Leagues in the lot which were not advertised. I still have one of them. the value of those 3 were worth more then the cost of the entire 100 card group.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 AM

I bought a lot of 40 T206 cards around 2000-01 for $600 and got an upside down Piedmont with parts of four backs. George Davis, who was recently elected to the HOF at that time, was on front. When I asked on a pre-Net54 message board (wasn't the full count board) I got offers in the thread immediately for $250, $400, $800 and two people who said they would top any offer (one offer was before the $800). So I held on to the card figuring it was worth a lot.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Default I am quarter on topic

Not exactly a lacking back scan story, but it is close, so I am going to cut me some slack. Many a moon ago I purchased on Ebay a R308 Tattoo Orbit card as a type card (these are the self developing unpopular ones). If I remember correctly the listing had no scan of the blank back, but that is besides the point. When the card arrived I had to double check the catalog listing for the card, because it seemed so dang big. Ends up I received the overwhelmingly rare R308-2 large version.

So this is really a scale of scan story, which of course could have been made clearer by the seller if they had included Leon's quarter of yore.

Brian
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

A slew of 52 topps Canadian gray backs, almost the whole run

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I won an auction for what I thought was an blue E98 Cobb, but turns out it was mislabeled and actually an E94.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I won an auction for what I thought was an blue E98 Cobb, but turns out it was mislabeled and actually an E94.
Nice way to triple your money real quick ....I am sure over the years I have had some nice surprises. Collectors before this generation or pre-war collectors didn't count the backs as much as we do today. Many old time collectors only collected/collect fronts of E92s!!