NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: During Mickey Mantle's Playing Career (in whole or in part), I...
Was not yet born 92 53.18%
Was alive, but (due to being too young or other factors) have no memories of him playing 49 28.32%
Was alive and fully remember him playing 32 18.50%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 AM
Greg C

Default mantle

I was not around. However, my father who grew up in the Bronx, talked about
him with god-like status throughout my childhood. This is a man who hasn't
missed a Yankee game on TV/radio since Stengel was manager. Needless to say, I
wore number 7 for all my little league teams. 1995 was the first time I saw my dad cry.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 AM
Chris

Wasn't alive. My mom is a huge Yankee fan, so she got me started with her stories of her childhood baseball card collection.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:57 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

I was born in the late 70’s, from Boston, loving the Red Sox and hating the Yankees. Yet when I got back into the hobby a couple years ago the first cards I chased where Mantle cards. Starting acquiring them before Ted Williams cards. At this point I have all the Mantle base Topps cards from 56-69 and Ted 54-58 and I’d still go after a 53 Topps Mantle before a similarly priced Ted Williams 54 Bowman or Play Ball card (minus the rookie card).

I don’t seem to have a bias against teams I root against when collecting. I’m primarily a hof collector and hof trumps team affiliation. For whatever reason Mantle is the iconic player to collect and I wanted in.

Last edited by Marchillo; 05-17-2018 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

My first two years of playing/learning about baseball was Mantle's last two years playing. Even in his twilight, only a shadow of his glory years, even a young kid could see that he was something special, and that every time he came up to bat, anything could happen. Later, with the internet and the ability to see and purchase old film of games, my understanding and appreciation of his abilities grew. I believe, several years from now, somebody on this board will be looking back at when they were a young kid and saying the same thing about Mike Trout.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:33 AM
Al Richter

I collect Mantle only insofar as I collect sets in which he appears. Grew up a Cardinals fan. Was fortunate to attend the 64 World Series and so did see him play in person. It was memorable for me because the Cards won, and sad because Musial had retired after the 1963 season.

One of my favorite Topps cards is the 1965 card (134 I think) purporting to show Mantle hitting a "clutch" home run but " in reality" shows him missing on a Gibson fast ball.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-17-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Ben North

I never seen him play because I was born the year after he stopped playing. I have never collected him because he is by far the most over rated player in the history of sports. His cards/memorabilia are also the most overpriced stuff in the hobby.

I equate Mantle to PSA, far from the best but for some insane reason people pay the most for them. Marketing is some amazing stuff.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I never seen him play because I was born the year after he stopped playing. I have never collected him because he is by far the most over rated player in the history of sports. His cards/memorabilia are also the most overpriced stuff in the hobby.

I equate Mantle to PSA, far from the best but for some insane reason people pay the most for them. Marketing is some amazing stuff.
When you consider all the walks, his numbers are pretty damn good. Bill James ranked him 6th all time. Plus he was the perfect storm: 50s in New York, Yankees, white, switch-hitter, the power/speed thing, the overcoming injuries thing, and all that duende.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 PM
David (30%) Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

Boooooo!!!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Matt

Never saw him play. Neither did my brother or cousins.

We all collect him with great passion.

And much like Bryce Harper's dad, I have already passed along the legend of Mantle to my son. In fact he is presently urging me to sell my CJ Shoeless and Cobb to make another bid on a key Mantle piece. Problem is that still won't help, LOL!

With Mantle, it is about way more than stats. The sum is greater than the parts.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Bob Andrews

My first memories of him come from watching the '57 Series with my Mom and grandfather. My Dad took me to Yankee Stadium almost weekly beginning in 1960 so I saw him play often.

And I can say with first-hand knowledge that there was an obsession with Mantle cards back then. I recall discussions in my North Jersey schoolyard about how Topps wasn't distributing Mantle cards in our neighborhood stores to encourage more pack buying.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:13 PM
David M.

I was nine years old the last year he played, but since he didn't play against the Cardinals, I don't remember seeing him in a game. I'm sure he was on TV and I just don't have any memory of watching him and the Yankees play. They were probably on some Saturday "Game Of The Week" or something but those memories are hazy.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Mantle's OBP and OPS were higher than Mays. Same SLG. Only a 4 point difference in BA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-17-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:38 PM
David (30%) Hall

I was born in 78

I wasn't that fortunate to have seen him play or even recollect a time i should have went to a signing.

I really started to collect Mantle around 2008 when i re-entered the hobby. I was stationed in Alaska at the time and it pretty much helped me get through that 3 year tour. My baseball guy growing up was Ryno.

When i started back up again (wanted to collect an icon) so i basically picked him and the rest is history. I've read and have seen almost anything he's been in or on. I guess what led me more into him was his history with alcohol and what not. Growing up with an alcoholic father i could relate to his story and past.

Call it weird or what not.

Cool thread. Nothing like seeing these sorts of threads about a great guy.

PS: cool stories so far from everyone who has shared.

Last edited by mickey7mantle7; 05-18-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 AM
J0hn Collin$

I started collecting cards at age 9 in 1986. At the time in the hobby, Mantle was the single most popular thing on the planet, despite the fact that he had already been retired for nearly 2 decades. Kids of my generation knew way more about Mickey Mantle than they did Babe Ruth, I can tell you that much. My first Mantle card was his '58 with Hank Aaron, which I picked up at a shop no doubt with my mother's help along about '88. I will agree as others have said, there is something unique about him and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I think it has to do with the fact that Mantle, unlike any other player - existed at the absolute climax of baseball, time and place in history - New York city in the 1950's. Had he been a Cleveland Indian in 1945 or a New York Met in the 1970's, I think we would view him today much as we do any other superstar. For kids everywhere 60 years ago, and doubly so for kids in random areas of the south or the midwest where there was as of yet no major league baseball - Mantle was the guy you followed. I will agree that the hype and prices for his cards and other memorabilia is disproportionate in comparison to others of his generation, but the intangible is part of that magic.