NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Matt

Default Jackie Robinson pennant help

Just picked this up and don't recall ever seeing it. Any idea of rarity or value? It will be for sale if anyone is interested
Thanks
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.8 KB, 248 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Mike H.

Never seen another Matt. It's a nice piece. I'm playing devils advocate here, but it is critical that you establish a link to baseball rather than a non-baseball event like a company picnic he attended as a dignitary. Valuation is a real challenge here, but I am confident it isn't in the same ballpark as the pennant with Jackie's image.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Matt

Thanks Mike. It certainly seems like a 50's pennant. Its the soft, thick felt material.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Looked Matt. cannot find anything. very rare. Where is our resident expert pennant writer?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It does appear authentic, and of the time period. Very rare, as I have never seen this variation either.

The "wavy" font is similar to the "Jackie Robinson's All Stars" Pennant (which is also 3/4 size). I am currently without a computer, or I would attach a link/image, to show the similarity. Perhaps Mike Egner will see this, and can provide an image. Going from memory, I believe the Jackie Robinson's All Stars Pennant contains four other names.... Campanella, Doby, Newcombe, and perhaps Paige.

This is a great find, Matt. But as Mike stated, the lack of graphics and generic nature might keep the value down just a bit. Condition appears excellent, and the rarity is off the charts, so I would estimate a value of $800 - $1,000. Perhaps higher, if you were to consign it to a Hunts, REA, SCP, or other high-end Catalogue Auction.

Hope this us helpful, and great post!
Mark

Last edited by perezfan; 06-03-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Matt

Thanks for the help and opinions. If anyone is interested in it, just email me.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 06-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Mike

Great looking pennant Matt. Here is the one Mark mentioned. As long as I am posting I should mention that I should be getting the new pennant books by the end of next week . Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgers1950-58.jpg (24.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I knew Mike would come through with an image

OK... no Paige, and the font is slightly different. But the maker of the pennant (and its timing) are almost surely the same as yours.

Can you post the measurements of yours? (height along the spine X length, not counting tassels) I'm guessing about 8" X 25" ?

Thanks!

Last edited by perezfan; 06-03-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Matt, could it be jackie robinson day 1947. On lelands auction now under dodgers there is a scorecard for jackie robinson day. Could it be the same.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Rick

one other possibility is that it could have been from his days at UCLA, where he lettered in 4 sports and was quite the star there. Those appear to be the Bruin's colors on the pennant.

Rick
Old 06-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Matt

Kevin- Thanks for the info on that day.

It is UCLA colors, so I was wondering about when I got it.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Old 06-04-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
Kevin- Thanks for the info on that day.

It is UCLA colors, so I was wondering about when I got it.
Matt
I would contact UCLA Sports Information during the summer and see if they have any information on it. Many SIDs love researching this type of stuff when they have the time. (I used to work in a college SID office). I would wait until the college sports season wraps up in a few weeks though.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here is a paragraph from the Article, Jackie Robinson: Baseball’s Noble Experiment, By William Kashatus...

"Those efforts helped the Dodgers to capture a pennant, and on September 23, jubilant Brooklyn fans cheered their first baseman with a “Jackie Robinson Day” at Ebbets Field. In addition to a new car and other gifts, Robinson received tributes for his contribution to racial equality. Song-and-dance man Bill “Bojangles” Robinson, one of the guest speakers, told the crowd: “I’m 69 years old but never thought I’d live to see the day when I’d stand face-to-face with Ty Cobb in Technicolor.”

That paragraph is contained within this link...

http://www.historynet.com/jackie-robinson

It may be UCLA-related, but I would bet this Pennant is from that event on September 23, 1947. I believe it's more likely that a manufactured pennant like this emanated from a Dodgers Game than a college-related event. Just my opinion...

Last edited by perezfan; 06-05-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Great research find Perezfan
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Exactly my feeling is that is from that day also. Matt maybe bid on the scorecard. What a great piece to go with the pennant if its from that day.