NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Default Sociedade Industrial Giants vs. White Sox - player ID?

I recently acquired this 1928 Sociedade Industrial #113 card for my White Sox type set, specifically due to the writeup on the back.

Since the captions on some of the cards in this set can be cryptic (the Lee Todd/P. Todd card for example), I was curious to know if the Giants and White Sox had ever really played against each other.

After a brief Google search, I found out that the photo for this card was most likely taken at an exhibition game between the two teams on October 23, 1924 in Liverpool, England at Goodison Park (the home of the Everton Football Club).

Here's a writeup of the game from the Cornell University newspaper: http://cdsun.library.cornell.edu/cgi...txt-txIN------

Here's a brief YouTube video of silent newsreel footage from the game: http://youtu.be/GJR8rBcCEsI

I also found pictures of each team. Here's the Giants. I only recognize Hughie Jennings; can anyone name the other players?

Here's the White Sox. I can identify Johnny Evers, Willie Kamm, and Red Faber out of this group; what about the rest of 'em?

Finally, does anyone think it's possible to identify the players depicted on the card itself?

Last edited by Tom S.; 05-16-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 PM

The second guy on the left for the Giants is Emil "Irish" Meusel. The fourth guy in from the left is Stuffy McInnis. The eighth guy from the left is Heinie Groh. The last player on the right is Stengel which dates that photo to 1923, but this may have been an invitational game. The third player from the right looks like Artie Nehf.

What I can't understand is why Stuffy McInnis is in a New York Giants uniform. He never played for the Giants. I am not mistaken.

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 05-14-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 AM

To add to your point about this being an invitational game, Muddy Ruel gets mentioned in the post-game article: "Ruel was the outstanding batsman. He often drove the ball among the spectators in the stands."

He was with the Senators at the time, and didn't join the White Sox until 1935.

A possible explanation for Ruel, McInnis, and Stengel to be at the game is that they might have been some of the favorite players of White Sox owner Charles Comiskey, and involved in his "Woodland Bards" social group. The Bards are mentioned in this Chicago Tribune article about the exhibition tours that Comiskey organized in 1913 and 1924:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...al-squads-game
Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Al

Great research. I love reading about the actual history behind some of these photos and cards, rather than just looking at how nice they look (I love this issue too, BTW).

-Al
Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM

One more possible ID:

In the White Sox picture, the seventh player from the left looks like Dave Bancroft.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Don Stokes

7th player from the left on the Giants is Hank Gowdy.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Default White Sox team down to one...

Probable ID's of the players pictured (from left to right):

1. Johnny Mostil, 2. Muddy Ruel, 3. Earl Sheely, 4. Ted Blankenship, 5. Bibb Falk, 6. Charlie Robertson, 7. Dave Bancroft (thanks Brian!), 8. Bill Barrett, 9. Bernie DeViveiros, 10. ????, 11. Johnny Evers, 12. Willie Kamm, 13. Red Faber, 14. Ed Walsh, 15. Ted Lyons. (Italics denotes not on White Sox 1924 roster)

Last edited by Tom S.; 05-18-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Updated roster
Old 05-16-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Giants team down to three...

Probable ID's of the players pictured (from left to right):

1. Hughie Jennings, 2. Irish Meusel (thanks Brian!), 3. ????, 4. Stuffy McInnis (thanks Brian!), 5. Jack Bentley, 6. Hack Wilson, 7. Hank Gowdy (thanks Don!), 8. Heinie Groh (thanks Brian!), 9. ????, 10. Travis Jackson, 11. ????, 12. Artie Nehf (thanks Brian!), 13. Frankie Frisch, 14. Casey Stengel (thanks Brian!). (Italics denotes not on Giants 1924 roster)

Last edited by Tom S.; 05-18-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Updated roster
Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 PM

Default Thread update

In case anyone is interested in revisiting this old thread...

I see that in the upcoming Heritage Platinum Auction, one of the lots is a scrapbook that belonged to one of the players that played in the 1924 tour. The scrapbook has very similar pictures to the ones that were posted in this thread earlier; the best part is that each player signed their autograph (most with position played) underneath their image. So now we can see what the team rosters were (and how bad I am at photo IDing faces ). What a neat item!

http://sports.ha.com/itm/1924-baseba...umbnail-071515

White Sox team (from L to R): Johnny Mostil, Muddy Ruel, Bibb Falk, Charles Robertson, Ray Morehart, Val Picinich, Dave Bancroft, Frank Wojack (never played in the Majors!), Happy Foreman, John Clancy, Johnny Evers, Willie Kamm, Urban Faber, Sam Rice, and Ted Lyons.

Giants team (from L to R): Hughie Jennings, Irish Meusel, Claude Jonnard, Stuffy McInnis, Jack Bentley, Ross Young, Hank Gowdy, Heinie Groh, Walt Huntzinger, Travis Jackson, Walter "Butch" Henline, Artie Nehf, Frankie Frisch, Casey Stengel, and umpire Bill Walker.

Now if I could only identify the players shown on the Sociedade Industrial card from the original post I'd be happy!
Old 07-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is very cool. One of my fave cards, and the one picked for the cover of my collection catalog was this Ruth/Cobb (not mine anymore). One of the all time great poses imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
In case anyone is interested in revisiting this old thread...

I see that in the upcoming Heritage Platinum Auction, one of the lots is a scrapbook that belonged to one of the players that played in the 1924 tour. The scrapbook has very similar pictures to the ones that were posted in this thread earlier; the best part is that each player signed their autograph (most with position played) underneath their image. So now we can see what the team rosters were (and how bad I am at photo IDing faces ). What a neat item!

http://sports.ha.com/itm/1924-baseba...umbnail-071515

White Sox team (from L to R): Johnny Mostil, Muddy Ruel, Bibb Falk, Charles Robertson, Ray Morehart, Val Picinich, Dave Bancroft, Frank Wojack (never played in the Majors!), Happy Foreman, John Clancy, Johnny Evers, Willie Kamm, Urban Faber, Sam Rice, and Ted Lyons.

Giants team (from L to R): Hughie Jennings, Irish Meusel, Claude Jonnard, Stuffy McInnis, Jack Bentley, Ross Young, Hank Gowdy, Heinie Groh, Walt Huntzinger, Travis Jackson, Walter "Butch" Henline, Artie Nehf, Frankie Frisch, Casey Stengel, and umpire Bill Walker.

Now if I could only identify the players shown on the Sociedade Industrial card from the original post I'd be happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth.jpg (77.2 KB, 77 views)