NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default O/T slightly..1921 Invitation to Baseball Game, Dallas Architects (great prose)

What a neat item that falls into the baseball "invitation" category but is sure fun to read (at least I thought so)...and a little write up from the seller

This came out of a local estate. It is a challenge to a baseball game from to premier architects firms located in Dallas, TX. The firms were Herbert M. Greene and Company and C.D. Hill and Company. The baseball game was held July 8, 1921 on the grounds of the Oriental Hotel. The challenge is on blue print paper and includes photographs of both teams. The front cover has a photograph of Herbert M. Greene. The challenge measures 5 ¼” x 5 ¼” and when opened measures 10 ½” x 5 ¼”.

The Greene team is on the right and Mr. Greene is holding a baseball. The Hill team is on the left and most of the players are wearing Sherwin- Williams Paint caps.

Herbert Miller Greene built over ninety projects throughout Texas and other U.S. cities, and founded one of the oldest continuously operating architectural firms in Texas. In 1922, Greene received a ten-year contract from the University of Texas at Austin to succeed the esteemed Cass Gilbert as university architect, where he worked with associates Edwin B. LaRoche and George L. Dahl on designs for over fifteen buildings on campus. The following year, Greene was the first Texas architect to be elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects.

C.D. Hill designed many of Dallas’ prominent buildings and residences in the early 1900′s. They include First Presbyterian Church and the old City Hall building. He was the architect for the five acre estate home on Preston Road that was inhabited for many years by Governor and Mrs. Clements. This 10,000 square foot home was recently been torn down to make room for a larger one. Fortunately, the mansions C.D. Hill designed on Swiss Avenue remain. He originally managed the Dallas office Sanguinet and Staats. He collaborated on the Adolphus and Melrose hotels and designed the Davis Building and First Presbyterian Church downtown.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/about/news/greene.html

.enjoy

Last edited by Leon; 12-18-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Mike P.ap

Default cool

leon,

I like the line "Tendered in payment of a just bet"

I'm sure there is a great story behind this!

peace, mike
Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Well, I thought the way the little invitation was written was rather neat. I guess I am an outlier again. Nothing new here.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Well, I thought the way the little invitation was written was rather neat. I guess I am an outlier again. Nothing new here.
While I often don't have anything valuable that I can contribute to the conversation I sincerely appreciate you posting unique items like this. One of the best things I like about this forum is seeing the different things I never thought to look for before.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.