NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Default Some printing videos I found

I was discussing printing with another member and decided to look for some videos of the overall process. I did find a few nice ones.

Here’s a nice video of stone lithography using a transfer at an art place. I've mentioned the process of making the transfers to lay out the stone before and this is probably the best video I've seen of the process as it's applied to art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E38B0swb4vo

And a nice overview of commercial offset lithography from 1996, towards the tail end of some of the technology shown, which wasn’t far removed from the state of the art in maybe 1910-20.
The plate developing our shop had was more like the water table and hose the art guy used than the machine in the video. And we made permanent masks from the negatives rather than blocking areas off with moveable pieces like the guy at the plate exposer. But all the rest is familiar to me.
The guy at about 6:19 taking the finished brochures off the folder? That could have been me fairly often. One of the more common jobs they let the Highschool kids do when we were busy. The only part I didn’t get to do was run the paper cutter. But I was around it plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqHexdEj2Q

Pretty cool stuff.
Here’s a direct lithography press from 1860 in operation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g52EooaVlcI

And an 1886 press still in use 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zvKCbnyNoE

I've also learned a bit of timeline, the offset press was invented in 1904 and wasn't common right away. So I believe the cards we collect were produced by direct lithography, nearly identical to the presses shown in the two videos.

Steve B
Old 12-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

So cool, thanks for posting Steve. Off to google I go
Old 12-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Jason Stricker

Really cool videos Steve. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 AM
Bry@n

Thanks for posting these Steve. I am the board member who has been picking Steve's brain about the printing process and now I can say a public "thank you" for all of the awesome answers like this!

Another question after watching this: How long might it have taken to print a single card assuming it was business as usual? A one-day process or does the prep, inking, setting up the machine, drying, etc mean that it would have taken multiple days?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:21 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default great info

Great information... there was a thread I started a few months ago with a couple of videos. One showed an offset printing method, but that video has subsequently been taken down. I wouldn't say that the T206s couldn't have been done on offset presses; it's certainly possible it could have with the process being invented a few years before the cards were produced. According to this British publication from June 1910:
"at the present time seven press manufacturing companies in the United States are building offset presses, in sizes ranging from 14 by 17 to 40 by 62 inches. Other American manufactures are preparing to build, and six plants in Europe are already building offset presses."
Old 12-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

I think it's possible to say that T206s were printed primarily on flatbed presses. I can't entirely rule out offset presses or multi color offset presses, but there is actually solid evidence that some if not most were printed on this sort of flatbed press. It's something I just figured out, and really deserves its own thread.

Steve B
Old 12-23-2014, 07:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Thanks for posting these Steve. I am the board member who has been picking Steve's brain about the printing process and now I can say a public "thank you" for all of the awesome answers like this!

Another question after watching this: How long might it have taken to print a single card assuming it was business as usual? A one-day process or does the prep, inking, setting up the machine, drying, etc mean that it would have taken multiple days?
Any one card would have been part of an order for thousands. The whole order would have taken several days possibly longer.

I think the sheets per hour rate was around 800 for these presses. Maybe a bit more.

Each color would have the plate/stone mounted, press inked, samples run and adjustments made, then a certain number of sheets run. If ALC ran multiple shifts they'd probably hand off the operation to a new crew at the shift change. If not the press would have been shut down and cleaned before the crew went home. Unless they ran simultaneously on multiple presses figure around 6000-8000 sheets a day. With 6-8 colors, that's roughly a week for printing the fronts maybe longer if the sheets were large and they were printing from stones as a large stone could be 600 Lbs. Add another day for the backs and another for cutting and packing for shipment to the plants where they'd be inserted.
Using multiple presses and leaving the stones mounted would allow around 7-8000 sheets a day of constant production.

If the number of potential cards distributed that Scot Reader came up with is at all accurate - And I don't see any real reason to doubt them - They would have needed more than one set of presses dedicated to the ATC cards in general or the available time simply won't work. Bearing in mind they were also doing the non-sports, probably the T210s, and a few other card sets. Plus all the packaging, and normal commercial printing, and thousands of different cigar box labels. ALC was a HUGE company.

Steve B
Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I think it's possible to say that T206s were printed primarily on flatbed presses. I can't entirely rule out offset presses or multi color offset presses, but there is actually solid evidence that some if not most were printed on this sort of flatbed press. It's something I just figured out, and really deserves its own thread.

Steve B
Can't wait to read it... you always bring great stuff to the board...
Old 12-24-2014, 07:05 AM

Default we know......

that the "men of history" set was being printed at the time.....one of my favorite scraps

thanks Erick for figuring it out! (please post the super imposed image for me my friend)

Steve...you are our resident guru printer...keep it up great job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tolgandilscrapback.jpg (73.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 07:06 AM

Default the front

such a great card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tolscrapgangradedfront.jpg (71.7 KB, 89 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 07:42 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
that the "men of history" set was being printed at the time.....one of my favorite scraps

thanks Erick for figuring it out! (please post the super imposed image for me my friend)

Steve...you are our resident guru printer...keep it up great job
Old 12-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Default Erick.....

your skillz with this will pay the billz one day

thanks my friend!