NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Default page views this month

Posted By: leon

Since Jim (our resident backbone of the hobby) collector brought it up I figure I will throw a quick snapshot of the forum hits this month. I don't think we are quite dieing on the vine yet .....btw, except for saying "armpit" I don't remember any barbs being thrown. I would have to care to throw jabs and I don't.....I hope everyone participates on the board but if you choose not to then that's fine too.....best regards

Thu, Feb 1... 28,482... Thu, Feb 15... 24,801

Fri, Feb 2... 24,970... Fri, Feb 16... 25,114

Sat, Feb 3... 23,063... Sat, Feb 17... 20,980

Sun, Feb 4... 23,066... Sun, Feb 18... 22,327

Mon, Feb 5... 29,576... Mon, Feb 19... 27,260

Tue, Feb 6... 27,672... Tue, Feb 20... 25,404

Wed, Feb 7... 27,389... Wed, Feb 21... 25,365

Thu, Feb 8... 25,779... Thu, Feb 22... 28,195

Fri, Feb 9... 24,386... Fri, Feb 23... 22,166

Sat, Feb 10... 19,350... Sat, Feb 24... 23,368

Sun, Feb 11... 24,199... Sun, Feb 25... 26,930

Mon, Feb 12... 30,047... Mon, Feb 26... 0

Tue, Feb 13... 25,568... Tue, Feb 27... 0

Wed, Feb 14... 23,988... Wed, Feb 28... 0

Old 02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Those look like good numbers!! Are those different IP address or pages looked at? Not sure how to decipher those numbers?

Nevermind.. I just re-read it.. Pages viewed... What is the average pages view per IP address.. Better question..

Old 02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Those are page views....we are steady at almost exactly 1000 unique IP's on the weekends and about 1200-1250 during the week. I continue to say we have about 1000 people a day looking at the board and I believe this number to be very accurate.....regards

Old 02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Leon,

There you go again--I never called myself the backbone of the hobby or even insinuated it. Why don't you run the board fair and objectively instead of getting your digs at me and basically telling lies?

And how does 20-30,000 compare with the best days when we broke the Mastro takes creases out of cards thread?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Basically Leon, these numbers mean nothing without comparing them to the days of alterations and when it was debated what consitituted alterations.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Did you forget this...?? Who's the liar here?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1165795670/last-1166275444/Re-+About+soaking+cards

Old 02-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Leon,

Exactly my point--its obviously you.

Do you need glasses?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Administrator

You said....

"The PSA 8 and above collectors I consider to be the backbone of the hobby"

Is there something I am missing here? Can you read?

btw Jim...in case you don't get it you can click on the little link I posted...which is where you will see your foot sticking out of your mouth...

Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Jim,

If Leon is mistaken on the backbone comment, then so am I. If you say that PSA 8+ collectors are the backbone of the hobby, and it is well known that you are a PSA 8+ collector, then you are saying you are part of the backbone of the hobby. If I'm missing something say so - I'd like to think there was a different intent as I was kind of offended by the comment.

Of course, not nearly as offended as bruce's "rot in their little shacks" comment. Really now. When it comes to offensiveness, you are not in his league!

Joann

Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Joann,

PSA 8 collectors as a group are--not me--I would play a tiny part in this. One can infer by Leon's comment that I said I was the backbone of the hobby which is ridiculous. But he just looks for ways to try to get in his digs against me.

I also clarified my remarks and said that by backbone that over 50% of the total volume of cards sold in the hobby was graded cards--and the number is increasing rapidly. There will be a time that the vast majority is graded and that virtually all cards of any value will be in graded card holders--and at that time there will be non-graded collectors on Network 54 that will still insist they are the backbone of the hobby.

If you are a non-graded collector and you are offended by that I'm sorry.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Good one Leon,

Keep insulting me--but you blew it again--you would like everyone to believe that I said I was the backbone of the hobby not graded card collectors as a whole.But its easier to lie which you are repeatedly doing.

And by the way where are those page hits from the peak when the Mastronet story broke and how much are you down from those levels?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Yeah, but Jim you are our resident backbone...I don't know of any other collectors on Net54 who are exclusively PSA8+ collectors.

JoAnn is right though in stating that you have a long way to go to catch up with Bruce as far as arrogance goes, but when it comes to annoying you are far more annoying than Adam Moraine ever even aspired to be so you got that going for you. At least Bruce can say he has been helpful at times...I have not seen you once post useful information or help another collector with their question(s) on this board.

Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Who gives a crap?

Robert

Administrator

Since you said that remark, referring to your group of collectors that collect high grade, it's been a running joke that the rest of us are "armpit" collectors. I will forever be indebted to you for that. BTW, the court of public opinion would definitely find you guilty here ....You can say what you want to now but your words in that thread spoke volumes.... The only other thing I will say is that I have absolutely nothing against "graded" or high end graded collectors. It's all good in my book...I am done arguing with you. As Judge Judy says "once you win you need to shut up".....which is what I will do now...take care now...and welcome back....

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Sorry Bretta--I don't believe I have ever seen anything you have written be of any interest of all--in fact the only post you have ever made that I even remember is your punk rock one. I got comments about by Mastronet post like "post of the century".

Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Why are you here Jim? Cite one post where you have actually helped a collector.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Heck with this. I'm the backbone now. I'm taking over, but just got to figure out how, or why.....

Old 02-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Leon,

I never left--and if you have to repeatedly lie to win then I feel sorry for you. Of course everyone will agree with the moderator--Jay, Scott and the 65 or so others who didn't have formed their own board--you are left mainly with those who agree.

And yes, there are not many graded card collectors on this board--you set such an unwelcome tone for them that they stay on the PSA boards.

And then you constantly try to get in your digs against me.

Kind of sad.

And its no argument at all if you do not sight the page counts from the peak--how much are you down --20%? 30%?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Bretta,

Fair questrion--not to discuss punk rock.

Not here to help collectors--I am here to here about serious issues in the hobby from what I thought were serious collectors. Thought at one time that this board could be a vehicle to change the hobby. No longer believe that. Decideds to jumpin this time because you decided to insult me. Now I learned that you have contributed 2 things--punk rock info and insulting me.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Crandell, I think most people would be serious about helping you, but you come off as so arrogant and offensive nobody wants to help you anymore. You have the self-awareness of a rock. You are your own worst enemy.

edited to add: go back and read some of the threads you started about the issues you have and you will see that many of the people who were with you no loathe you. I wonder what happened???

Old 02-26-2007, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Sorry Bretta you idiot,

Go wreck another serious thread with your punk rock posts--I have plenty of people who are in agreement that something needs to be done--several of them on this board.

Can't you start a music board so you can make a contribution.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Dear Jim, a question ends with a question mark.

it looks like this ---> ?

you will find it on the bottom row of your keyboard next to the "Shift" key which you will also have to press at the same time you press the "?" key.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Bretta,

You are an idiot(not a question).

Old 02-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

You are an intellectual heavyweight Jim.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Only when compared with you.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

wow, this is like listening to a bunch of 3rd graders. I cant wait to see who will be the first to throw down with some sticks and stones action?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Boy, when you go to bed early like I do you sure miss all the fun...I'll have to start drinking black coffee after dinner so I can stay up.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt E.

These traits are how I view Net 54 after just two years of reading and posting.
How can posting a bunch of numbers turn into this? I don't really care who is where and what used to be. I just like the familiarity of our site and feel a part of something (take the good with the BS)

At our Net 54 Dinner I would like to sit by those who can help the "collector" and here (sic) what I say.

Check out that T205 Drum I just bought on Ebay last night. Hey, I am pretty serious about what I collect. I don't care what I paid, I needed it for my back collection.

What PSA number does serious start at?

Make room for the serious little guy who is just having fun collecting cards.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

even people's spelling went down the tubes during this little fight out by the bike racks!

Is this what happens at card shows? Cuz if it is, then I gotta get out more and hang around some of the hot spots...and wait for tempers to flare!

I collect PSA8+ as well, but those are generally cards mfr'd after 1970...does that count? Because if it does, I wouldn't mind being a backbone...just so long as I don't have to be the TAILbone, so to speak

Old 02-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

The following things determine what kind of cards I collect:

Rarity; how bad I need (want) a card; how many might be in existance;(rarity)
condition;

If I find, or have a card, slabbed or unslabbed, and it is a legit grade 8 or higher, not colored, not soaked, not squished, not trimmed, then I guess I am wondering why so many people have a problem with grade 8's and up ? I have some grade 8's I would deal or trade, and some grade 2's I wouldn't. What is it with grade 8 and higher hate mongering. For the record I hate card tampering. I've been burned like we all have. By some well know dealers. can someone tell me why a 'real" grade 8 or better is so maligned?
Jealousy?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

is on the right track, I think...it's not the grade itself, or probably even the card itself, that draws the attention or the ire,...I think it simply has come to symbolize a division. A division of tastes, a division of budgets and financial capability...a division of the very peoples involved!!! (Say this part in your best televangelist voice)

Of course there is nothing wrong with a vintage (or otherwise) PSA 8 card. Many many folk would prefer to have one, if given the chance. Most people cannot afford them. Jealousy and envy are natural emotions that are evoked in those who don't have the financial means to obtain these cards. So those who are uncomfortable with having to relegate their collecting habits to affordable endeavors have to also dial down their tastes, if they can, and tell themselves they are happy with less. When that doesn't happen smoothly, you get unbecoming behaviors. Conversely, the opposite can be true of high grade collectors with financial means to out-spend most folk, and sometimes you get bahaviors that are arrogant or without understanding of those who would accept less for thier collection.

It's a class struggle. Pure and simple. The mutual loathing of each other for the have's and the have-nots continues in the world of card collecting!

I lost an Ebay auction for a gorgeous lower-grade T206 Lajoie w/bat last night. I was out of my league and my uncharacteristic bidding history tells that tale...I was surprised by the escalating price, and I was torn between wanting that card (real BAD!), and my own financial limits...sucks, but you gotta live to fight another day...

Hopefully most people can at least understand THAT, and respect it...

Of course, I want PSA 8 cards, but I will take the best that I can get, emphasis on I...

Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Jason is absolutely right. Nothing wrong with PSA 8's, they are beautiful cards. But it seems to divide the haves and have nots, and then it starts to get personal. If PSA 8's weren't so expensive, it wouldn't even be an issue.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I don't think anyone has a problem with PSA 8 collectors per se; what started the divide was the obnoxious tone from the high grade and the low grade sides. No one gives a damn about who collects what here. I'd like to think we're all in this together to some extent and while jealousy is a normal response so is respect and humility. Unfortunately, some collectors are just beyond obnoxious and offend at every turn -- thereby making it appear that an attack on them is an attack on their collection habits.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Everyone should realize that some collectors have high incomes and more disposable cash, and often choose to pursue higher grade and more expensive cards. Those on a lower budget generally find PSA 8 cards out of reach. It's just a matter of accepting that that is life. I own a nice home; I have seen bigger ones and I have seen smaller ones. I try to neither envy those in mansions, nor look down at those in cottages. It's just the way life is. Same with baseball cards. Some have more, some less. It's the sensitivity or lack of it exhibited by some collectors that ruffles the feathers of others.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Let me digress for a moment. As a child I grew up about as middle class as was possible. In fact someone did a study, as to which suburb surrounding our cities was the most "average" or middle class.. Out of 80 or so, you got it, it was the one I grew up in. So I never really saw a difference between famiies. All were pretty much the same. I seem to recall, like three kids I knew, who seemed to have some dough in their families. Turns out even they were very middle class. So, to this day, I guess I just don't worry about "classes". I know some do, and some get real PO'd when confronted with folks who appear to have more than they do. With heavy emphasis on the word "appear". if you make $10M per year and spend $12M, I don't consider that wealthy. To sum it up, I feel sorry for people who waste their energy and emotion on jealousy, or envy. Collect what you like, and can afford, and everyone else can just go fly a kite. Do I wish I owned the McNall/Gretzsky (spelling) Wagner, sure. But I never will. But I am sure their are plenty of folks who love my Foxx - Miller Grade 5, but can't afford it. To each their own. Collect away .........I was beat out yesterday on something I really wanted. It was a genuine letter written from a civil war camp. where a prisoner talked about the soldiers playing baseball to kill time. I came in second. Do I hate the winner? Did I call him names or send him dirty e mails? Of course not.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Well said....

Old 02-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

and it is usually an insecurity of some sort that causes folks to lash out in an offensive manner....the ol' "he must be compensating for something" ...

My insecurities are numerous and legendary, but I choose to lash out by yelling profanities at the TV set during sporting events and the Oscars red-carpet show.

Mike, wait ....-you don't send angry emails to the Ebay winners?? Should I not do that?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Jim C, you've just lost me.
Tried to hang in there because I believed in some of what you fight for, but truth be known you're a pretty unpleasant individual on the boards to read and listen to. When you find constant fault and disagreement with the more amenable, amiable, and reasoning contributors who post (or moderate), your lack of people skills and charm overwhelms all else.

Good luck to you, but your support ebbs rapidly.

Daniel

Old 02-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

jim,
when i said your mastro thread was "post of the century",
what i really meant to say was "please don't post for another 100 years", sorry if i was unclear.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Damn that was funny!!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Jason/Mike -

Jealousy/Envy is not what has caused this divide. Read Jeff's post above - he is right on point as to why this divide occurred. It also isnt really a divide between low grade and high grade collectors. Its a divide between those high graded collectors that look down upon the rest of us or act condescendingly toward those who collect lower grade cards. I personally have nothing against Jim, but he has made several comments that have rubbed many the wrong way. Same situation with Bruce Dorskin. Other high end collectors (for example Hal - who has one of the finest collections out there) seem to have no problems with the majority of the board members. I assure you if it were a jealousy issue, Hal would be on the preverbial 10 most wanted list around here.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Andy, that was the post of the century. Very funny.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

agreed.

but I just like to go off on tangents about human behavior on occasion in an attempt to rationalize my own problems in dealing with people (and lost Ebay auctions).

Ok, I'll say it...most of my posts are actually just about me. You may not see it at first, but they are...-veiled attempts to be relevant, and cool.

At least the chips I just had with lunch don't have any Trans Fats!

(admittedly, I am a little punchy for a Monday, but I was reduced to sweaty mess from shovelling snow for an hour before going to work, so I don't got a whole lot left...)

Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

Maybe Adam Moraine has a new handle. It seems like the same argument we've heard before.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Adam J. Moraine is the backbone of the hobby?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I'm not implying that, but the discourse reminded me of that era of the board. The antagonist of this thread said that he wouldn't be considered part of the PSA 8 crowd, only "a tiny part".

Old 02-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Daniel,

Doesn't matter one way or another.

Lot of it is petty jealousies--lot of it is old time collectors who see the wave of the future coming and they don't like it. Lastly most (perhaps everyone but me?) are on the board for social reasons and agree its always easy to take the popular side. Especially when you have a moderator who likes to pile on and his digs in at every opportunity.

I just care about serious issues related to the hobby and could care less about the rest. If there is nothing interesting discussed then I may not post much except when others attack me and then I will usually defend myself which usually makes it worse because of the socual reasons thing. Thats what happened this time. I have no reason to attack anyone on this board--and have never done it.

Anyway, one has to presume that posts are down from the peak days as Leon is refusing to answer the question. But here is a prediction--he will find a way to insult me.

Those that care about card restoration will find another vehicle to make there concerns felt --and the card doctors will breathe a sigh of relief--as for the near-term they have dodged a bullet--and the collectors of ungraded cards will sit in ignorant bliss
with their altered cards.

If anyone wants to debate the issues great--if you are one of the ones that want to respond with another personal attack--why don't you just stop?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Administrator

I answered you before but as usual you only read what you want to read. I said that the traffic on the site is about the same it has been. (for the last 6-8 months)....Go look in the other thread where you kept asking me the same question. I answered you there as that's where you asked me repeatedly. Have you ever wondered why it is that "everyone else is always wrong?" I have said it before but will again. Jim- I don't hate you, I don't even dislike you. I don't know you that well personally. I don't care what you collect and hope you enjoy the hobby as much as the rest of us. best regards

Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill

Leon- Thanks for editing that post in the last thread for me.

Maybe we should get together, set up voice communications, and all sing kumbaya.

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Leon,

Everyone else isn't always wrong. People are entitled to their opinions and I was hoping that this board could be that without the personal attacks.

You must not be reading what I ask--so for about the 5th or 6th time I will ask it again--what was the number of hits on the day that the Mastronet creases out of cards thread hit and the days following when this was a significant issue? I never asked you about the month to date numbers which you keep wanting to give me.