NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: micah

leon-you have been emailed-Micah

Old 01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: Josh Evans

Wow!
I am in Puerto Rico enjoying the sun and this
Heff, my business partner Mike Heffner, just called me and told me about this small brouhaha

Well, for the record we did buy Monte Irvin’s Hall of Fame plaque from dealer Joe Esposito and the price was $10,000
What Joe paid for it I do not know nor do I care
All I know is that I have known Joe Esposito since I was a kid and have respected and liked him since day one (even though he didn’t always like me)
Unbeknownst to Joe he holds perhaps the highest honor in Lelands circles, by having a “The” preceding his first name
Joe Esposito is known by us not as “Joe” or “Joe Esposito” but as simply “The Joe”
Few hobbyists can boast this tribute

After we bought the plaque and put it in our auction we were contacted by Marty Appel the ex-publicity man for the Yankees and our press agent at the time (still is)
Marty is a dear friend and the people involved knew this (Monte Irvin, Joe Morgan, and sportswriter Bill Madden)
Monte simply wanted his plaque back
He was devastated, plain and simple
We talked about it for a couple of days and then decided to give it back to Monte free and clear
Yes, we ate the full $10,000 and actually were told the purchase price was $1,000
Subsequently, an article was published in the New York Daily News by Bill Madden telling the story and saying something nice about us

Did we do it for the publicity?
Absolutely not
Were we aware that we would benefit from it publicity wise?
Absolutely
But as far as doing this because of any kind of “pressure” that is simply not true

We have reaped tremendous benefits from the players and in this hobby overall and we simply wanted to give something back
I don’t know about you but it is pretty hard to say no to Monte Irvin for a lousy ten grand when you sell millions of dollars of memorabilia each and every year and have enjoyed a comfortable and exciting life doing what you love because of it

These was and never will be any mention of this gesture on our website, we ran no ads boasting this, I never bragged about it at the corner bar
When people approached me and said nice things I was frankly surprised
That was worth a lot more than the money
This little event just came and went
I had actually forgotten about it until this post
And that makes me feel good both personally and professionally

As for my conversations with Rick Kohl he did approach me at the National that year and was extremely upset
If I remember correctly he was nearly in tears
He told me that this had really affected him in a deep way
I felt awful

As far as any judgments of Rick Kohl in this situation or any other I will allow better men than I to make those judgments
Josh

Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: Al Simeone

Hello Josh,
Thanks for commenting on the story. I have stayed away from making any judgement on Rick Kohl due to the fact that I have had dealings with all three of you (Rick,Joe,and yourself) at points in time thru out the years. My dealings with Rick were also fine and did go smoothly. Is there room for improvement on his part, Im sure there is . (His feedback alone should indicate that) I hope he is a person who learns from his mistakes.Im sure every dealer has had some kind of a problem thru out the coarse of his dealings,its how we handle these problems that garner us the respect and reputation that comes with the territory.Josh I remember you and I would talk when I did the Rothstein shows back in the late 80s and we had some very good conversations. Rick I do hope that maybe the comments that have been made make a change in how you do you dealings sometimes. To take a page from Leon as he states on the Memorabilia side,"Caveat Emptor" it kinda fits the situation here.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: dan mckee

Incredible! You think I would have known better. I win this item http://tinyurl.com/2ggcm7 paypal immediately and nothing. I filed a paypal complaint and it seems that I must wait for paypal to refund me. I have received 1 email from a lady that said they were having shipping problems and that my item was going right out. That was 10 days ago. This really shouldn't be that hard. You sell, you get paid, you ship the item, you answer emails. Come on Rick, it is 2008 and these constant problems are just uncalled for! Sincerely, Dan Mckee jr.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: Matt

Dan - aside from you knowing better for your own personal transaction, by continuing to give a bad seller business you're just supporting his further dealings.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Unfortunately when you sell 400+ items a week, you get almost 1,000 emails a day.

Obviously, Dan, you just don't realize how hard it is to sell on eBay. It's been compared to rocket science, I hear.

Your e-mail likely is sitting in the "In" box, along with the thousands of others.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: leon

Can you imagine almost 365,000 emails a yr....no wonder he can't ship on time....I guess some folks never learn.....

Old 02-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: Fred C

I go away for a bit and come back to find a BRSZ thread. The first thing I thought was wow, 100+ posts in no time. Would that be possible? In BRSZ case, yes...

I went back through the thread and found a quote by Rick (while defending himself):

"He then decided to “get $10,000 worth of press” by basically throwing me under the bus."

Rick, you should stop walking in front of moving busses, they can be hazardous to your health.

From, me - another of the legion of "burned buyers"

Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Dan, I'm not sure what happened with your card. I won a T205 Hoblitzell from him on Jan 15. I was a little concerned about the transaction after reading this thread, but I had the card in my hands in 3 days. It makes me wonder why he isn't able to handle all of the transactions this quickly.

Rick

Old 02-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default Broadway Rick

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

You are "Pops" Jr. ?

Did you win on the under or The Giants?

BcD

Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Brian Daniels

Default Ha Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Dan Koteles

his caramels were nearly second to none.

and at $200 a piece for cards grading 7 and 8 you know I got all the ones you didn't Dan! . I bought piles of cards from Rick and talked to him for hours as well. That was around 1988 or so