NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default OT: But still baseball card related

Posted By: Bryan

I have a 1955 topps complete sell with the major stars being graded that I am looking to sell. My question is how does everyone feel about going through an auction site other than ebay? 19thcenturyonly? Mastronet? etc. What would be the best choice for exposure and possible realized price? Is Ebay the best way to go given the money that some auction houses take for "their" part? It is a nice looking set and I am looking to sell it to help supply funds for a few pre-war purchases. Any advice would be great.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Bryan, I have tried both ways. I have sold sets on ebay and through Mastro and others. Right now, if the set is a higher condition set, I would go with Mastro or another auction house on a 1955 set, but if it is is mid grade, I would go with ebay, spending the extra money to have it listed as a feature item and making sure you had plenty of clear scans of the higher priced cards and also a very good description of the
% breakdown of number of cards and conditions.
I have had success and disappointments with both alternatives but have found that my biggest successes and surprises came on ebay.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Knowing that your set is most likely in the lower to mid grade range, ebay is your best bet. Like tbob says, presentation is everything - clear scans and good descriptions will really make a difference. You might want to put some sort of reserve or at least have a high starting bid so that you can protect yourself from taking a significant loss. Oh and Bryan, I still havent seen a scan of your new OJ Anson!

Old 12-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Funny story about the anson card. I'll have to e-mail you and let you know about it. Needless-to-say it is not in my collection
Oh and Ben, Believe it or not but the 55 set that I have is actually in really nice shape. Sometimes I even surprise myself

Old 12-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

my advice....keep the 1955 set.find something else to sell.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

with ebay, YOU have control over what you are willing to sell it for with a reserve. With mastronet, they'll go for $500 MB and if it sells for that, it sells for that......

Give it a shot on ebay with a decent reserve. If it sells, it sells. If not, you can always contact the high bidder to offer it to them through ebay or even outside of ebay. If you don't get the best bids, you can go with one of the others.

Old 12-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott

In my opinion Mastro gets top dollar for '50s sets, but you have to consider consignor fees,etc - check out prices realized in recent auctions; however, if you are interested in selling to a reputable individual I know someone who would give you a fair price and who specializes in that general era. Email me if interested.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Dennis, Why keep it. Do you something I don't? Scott, I'm always interested in selling to another if the price is right. Thanks for all the help people.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Administrator

bryan,i sold mine(wasn't complete) to buy a big screen tv and still have regrets. and believe me i love the tv. did you ever think of selling as singles, more work but high #'s and graded stars fetch high dollars.i just figured if you completed it you too might regret.i made a lot selling as singles and was missing high #'s and koufax,snider,clemente.when collectors see that a complete set is being broken(on ebay) and sold they really watch and i find tend to bid and want to buy more.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I agree with Dennis. Selling the set as singles should both maximize your headaches and your return. I have had luck consigning my headaches to an eBay seller who specializes in 50s material. It is worth it.

You may want to try to sell some of the higher priced items yourself, particularly if they are graded.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 AM
Administrator

So you guys are saying sell some of the higher graded stars that I have and maybe get rid of the singles as individual auctions and I may reach a higher price in the end than selling the set as a whole. Interesting, never thought about that.

Old 12-17-2004, 02:42 PM
Administrator

there are sellers on ebay who snatch up complete sets/lots and sell as singles and turn a good profit. if i were to sell any of my sets this is the only way i would go. there are many short prints in the 55 set that people will get into a bidding wars over because they seldom come up. also just do an ebay search on completed graded stars and i think you'll see they go for a lot.(this is a slow time for ebay with christmas and new years so you might not find many examples and this is a bad time to list) GOOD LUCK

Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 PM
A.J. Johnson

Random old thread reply of the day.

Yes eBay works great for selling baseball cards!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 AM
And.rew C0rs0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Random old thread reply of the day.

Yes eBay works great for selling baseball cards!
In my opinion, eBay is the best of the online, mass-user, long-established, fee-based auction websites
Old 08-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
In my opinion, eBay is the best of the online, mass-user, long-established, fee-based auction websites

So what you're saying is that eBay is the best eBay auction site on ebay.com.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Scott S

I'm glad we have settled this 11 year debate.

Let's hope DeflateGate can be settled in less time than this.