NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Alan Elefson

Default Help with multi colored stitched baseballs

Hi-
I have acquired a great number of oldish baseballs over the last few years but I have great difficulty determining their approximate year of manufacture. Can anyone help with any of the baseballs scanned below? All have multi-colored stitches. Here is a little bit of information regarding each one:
1. I believe it says Major League on the sweet spot. There is a maker's mark above it in a small circle but I cannot make it out. Below the sweet spot it says Warranted 5oz 9in. NO 951 (1st 3 scans)
2. There is very faint printing that I cannot make out on the sweet spot. Above it I can read Spaulding and possibly the word Love above that. Below the sweetspot is a Spaulding logo that I cannot make out very well. (2nd 3 scans)
3. The next two you cannot see any logos nor marks of any kind. (post 2 scan 1st scan)
4. The final two contains one that appears to be burned (missing its cover as well, yet the multi-colored stitches are still visible) and one that exposed the wrappings underneath. (post 2, 2nd and 3rd scans)
Beyond the year, is it possible to determine the manufacturer of any of these? Also, is it possible to narrow down a date based on the style of stitching in any of the baseballs canned above? For example, if a ball has more space between the stiches is it older than one with more compact stiching? Is there any other information someone can provide to help determine the age of baseballs in general? I know 19th century ones tend to be smaller (or sometimes larger) but are there any other indicators? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Please feel free to post your own questions regarding vintage baseballs in this thread as well.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img191.jpg (85.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg img192.jpg (85.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg img193.jpg (85.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg img195.jpg (87.9 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg img197.jpg (87.1 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg img198.jpg (88.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Alan Elefson

Here are the additional scans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img199.jpg (84.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg img200.jpg (80.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg img201.jpg (82.7 KB, 139 views)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:33 AM
Kevin O'Gara

alan, most probably from the teens through the 20s.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Alan Elefson

Thanks for the help! I will continue my search for 19th century examples. Do you (or anyone else) have any examples that you can post? I am not talking about lemon peel or trophy balls, just examples that can be fairly reliably dated to the 19th century? Also, if possible, please explain how someone might determine it (stitch spacing, size, etc.).
Thanks again,
Alan