NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default Please help with PX7 Sweet Caporal Domino Discs

Posted By: JamesWalkerJr

Hello all,

I am doing some research into this set.

As part of my research, I am gathering scans/photos of each disc. I was wondering if you would please email me any scan/photo of the disc(s) that you might have in your collection. Also, if you do email me a scan/photo, would you please grant me permission to use your scan/photo of the disc(s) you have?

I will give credit for all scans/photos submitted to me. If you decide to send the scans/photos, please let me know how you would like your name to appear in the credits.

Here is some of the information I'm looking into:
1) Can all players be found with all background colors?
2) Can all background colors be found with all domino types?
3) Is one player any harder to find than the others (taking into account the HOFers)?
3) Is one color background any rarer than the others?
4) Is one domino type harder to find than any others?
5) Is there a relationship between background color and domino type?
6) Are there any other Factory No's?

Any information on this set would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James Walker, Jr.

Old 06-14-2003, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett Domue

James,

I am looking forward to the results of your research on this issue.

In a Mastro auction last year, a near complete set of these was offered for sale, in which it was mentioned that almost every disk has multiple poses. I have never seen any listing of the pose variations from this set, and hope your research can help.

I'll email you with the info on the few I have currently.

Regards,

Brett

Brett Domue
okeedokee@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm

Old 06-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I know that toughest one in the set is the non-player disc with home team on one side with a red background and visting team on the other side with a green background. People probably chunked them since they didn't contain a player's image. The discs come in red, green or blue. There are 135 different major leaguers with 2 different poses so the math is 135 x 2 x 3 (colors) +1 for a total possible 811 different. I am going from memory here but I think this is right. I don't remember any particular player being scarcer with premiums being for the hall of famers and stars. I don't claim to be an expert on the set and I'll let someone else write that definitive article for VCBC

Old 05-11-2016, 01:09 PM

UPDATE
Actually there are presumably four colors of each player red, blue green and brown. It's impossible to discover the exact number of total color and pose variations in the entire master set of all colors and all poses because there are many with subtle differences. For instance on the Pelty I have the "regular" Pelty, the "thin face variation" Pelty and another thin faced Pelty with the player name on the bottom as opposed to the top.
Although I have a lot of variations in pose discs, I am still two away from a complete "regular" set of one disc for each player so if anyone has a Milan or Mitchell to sell, any decent condition, any color, any pose, please let me know.

tbob
Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 PM

Default Tidbit...

PSA population report list the PX7 Domino Discs under the year 1909 only, not 1909-12 like they do other multiple year sets.

And the Home/Visiting has the highest pop of any disc in PSA 8 - 6 copies. Now that doesn't mean much when you consider all that exist in any grade, raw or graded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HomeVisiting.jpg (43.3 KB, 332 views)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:31 PM

Default My little collection

No real info here - just some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg discs.jpg (78.6 KB, 336 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Jay D Wi.ley

very nice. I love this set. I will post some pictures later. Much harder to find than the sweet caporal pins

Last edited by ashes13; 05-13-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:10 PM

Default Disc update

It’s been 5 years since the last post in this thread but I wanted to update my previous posts based on my experiences in collecting this set. Most (if not all) of the discs have a ‘thin faced’ variation which I much tougher to find than the ‘regular’ pose. The prices for these seem to bear this out. I have a complete set now with about 75 of the thin faced variations.
A true master set of these discs would be nearly impossible with all the pose and color variations but I’m slugging along.
If anyone has a Moran with Cubs or an Art Wilson (as opposed to Owen Wilson) with Giants for trade or sale please let me know.
Years ago I posted that I thought the generic two sided home/visitors team disc was the toughest but I no longer feel that to be the case. Some of the ‘common player’ thin faced variations are much tougher.
Good luck if you are collecting the set.
Tbob
Old 08-08-2021, 07:27 PM
Val Kehl

Bob, congrats on completing the basic PX7 set! And, I wish you great success as you work on a master set.

Do you know if each player should be findable in both the regular-face and thin-face variations in all 4 background colors - i.e., 8 different discs for each player? Actually, the only player I'm really interested in is WaJo.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Thanks V al I’m just going for a regular and thin face of each player regardless of color. I wonder if all players have a thin face variation, it’s been speculated but to my knowledge, never proven.
You could be right about 8 of each player. That would be a life long search lol.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:26 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Thanks V al I’m just going for a regular and thin face of each player regardless of color. I wonder if all players have a thin face variation, it’s been speculated but to my knowledge, never proven.
You could be right about 8 of each player. That would be a life long search lol.
Hi Tbob, I have confirmed at least 115 thin-faced versions (I still have some scans to review), and really can think of no reason why the others won't surface if they have not already just evaded my radar. BTW, didn't I sell you the Art Wilson some years back?

Val, there should be nine front-back color combinations for each player. There are no brown backs, and no brown thin faced subjects.

So each player should be found with:
red full face/red back; blueFF/blue back; greenFF/green back; Brown FF w/red, blue or green back
red thin face/red back; blueTF/blue back and greenTF/green back.

Of course if you are patient enough to locate all nine front-back combos for each player (1161 disks), then you can try and get the different domino pip combos on the backs.
[/IMG]
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the info Todd, it was informative.
On the Wilson I have the Owen Wilson, Pirates and Giants and Art Wilson Pirates but no Giants. I’ve always hoped that I would someday walk in to the National show and some seller would have the T210s I still need along with the Home Run Kisses, PX7s and of course the 4 E94s to complete the master set lol, but it’s not going to happen, so I’ll continue to patrol eBay and the auction houses. Looks like National is now mostly the new shiny chase card stuff now 😩
Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 PM
Val Kehl

Great info, Todd - much appreciated!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Hi Tbob, I have confirmed at least 115 thin-faced versions (I still have some scans to review), and really can think of no reason why the others won't surface if they have not already just evaded my radar. BTW, didn't I sell you the Art Wilson some years back?

Val, there should be nine front-back color combinations for each player. There are no brown backs, and no brown thin faced subjects.

So each player should be found with:
red full face/red back; blueFF/blue back; greenFF/green back; Brown FF w/red, blue or green back
red thin face/red back; blueTF/blue back and greenTF/green back.

Of course if you are patient enough to locate all nine front-back combos for each player (1161 disks), then you can try and get the different domino pip combos on the backs.
[/IMG]
Great Info and Great Looking Discs. Makes me considering them for a collection. Or is it another Great Item Distraction that I need to avoid because there is so many great things I would love to collect but need to focus
Stay Tuned

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 12-06-2023, 01:09 PM

Dragging up this old thread as I am in the middle of sorting, scanning and listing a near complete set with several have both large and small portraits.

Some of what I might add, may now already be known, but I can say for sure that the set based on team changes does appear to have been issued up to and including 1912. Also, the thin face or small portraits are the later years, the larger portraits the first ones issued. The thin faces do appear to be a bit scarcer, although I have not yet done a final tally.

All of these will be offered in lots by player and team in my upcoming Feb/March Auction, raw and PSA graded, including the only PSA 10 Domino Disc graded.

I will add more info as I finalize the counts.

Last edited by sb1; 12-06-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:56 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Dragging up this old thread as I am in the middle of sorting, scanning and listing a near complete set with several have both large and small portraits.

Some of what I might add, may now already be known, but I can say for sure that the set based on team changes does appear to have been issued up to and including 1912. Also, the thin face or small portraits are the later years, the larger portraits the first ones issued. The thin faces do appear to be a bit scarcer, although I have not yet done a final tally.

All of these will be offered in lots by player and team in my upcoming Feb/March Auction, raw and PSA graded, including the only PSA 10 Domino Disc graded.

I will add more info as I finalize the counts.
Looking forward to it Scott. Ideally you will have front/back scans of all disks -- I am trying to confirm color combinations as well as pip combos. Thus far, I have confirmed the following:

Different full face poses:

119: Brown
118: Red
107: Blue
115: Green

Different thin face poses:

104: Red
89: Blue
79: Green

FWIW, I believe the disks were issued in 1911 and 1912 and not earlier.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:12 PM

Rest assured each and every disc is scanned front and back....

Here's a teaser or two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img334.jpg (33.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg img244.jpg (116.0 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by sb1; 12-06-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:57 PM
J.O.N

Here’s my contribution. Always liked these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.