NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 AM

Default T209 Website launch

Dear All--

I am pleased to announce, on Opening Day 2014, that my new website is ready for your viewing pleasure.

http://T209-contentnea.com

Some highlights of the site include:
• Photo gallery of individual player cards
• Photo gallery of T209-II cards organized by team
• Image gallery of the Erwin-Nadal T209-II card album
• Revised versions of the Old Cardboard articles on T209 with significantly updated information
• Gallery of shared poses of T209-II and T210
• Fred Stoehr letters written while he pitched in the southern leagues 1908-1910. Fred appears on a T209-II card.

I think you’ll enjoy viewing the images, especially of T209 and T210 cards, but also reading the revised versions of the T209 articles that Tim Newcomb and I wrote. The new information clarifies some important facts regarding the set.

Of particular interest are the Fred Stoehr letters. I have had time to upload only two of them, but more will be added in the coming weeks. They are a first-hand treasure trove of what it was like playing in the southern minor leagues from 1908-1910.

So, click on the link and enjoy navigating the website. And I am always anxious to receive constructive and helpful feedback to make the site accurate and informative.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-31-2014, 06:38 AM
Bill Gregory

Very nice site, Michael. Bookmarked.

Does the set focus exclusively on Southern League players?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 AM
Jason Wells

I just took a quick glance at the site.Michael that is a great looking website and I look forward to checking the whole thing out this afternoon after work. T209's are a awesome issue of cards.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 AM

Mike,

Nice work!

On the panels, I believe the unknown player on panel one may be Beusse spelled incorrectly. The unknown player on panel two is Kite.

Also if you recall the second panel has some block text at the very bottom cut off, unfortunately not enough to make out what it says. I believe these pieces were part of a store/counter display.

Scott

Last edited by sb1; 03-31-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Very nice looking and interesting site!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 AM

Scott,

Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I agree on Beusse and Kite as the other players on the panels. I had come to the same conclusion, but in my haste to launch the site on Opening Day I forgot to note those clarifications in the narrative! I'll do so later today.

I'm not as certain about the panels as advertising. I originally thought they were advertising pieces, as Tim and I noted in our Old Cardboard essay on T209-I. But the more I became aware of the photos and the way they were taken, proof sheets made more sense to me.

That being said, maybe the website will help uncover some new information that will clarify the panels' origin. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 AM

Mike,

I am fairly sure these were originally part of a larger piece and cut apart, but do not match on the cuts, I think there may have been more to it. Perhaps photo or maybe only text?? I doubt we will ever know lest an intact one surfaces. I think the stock is much too heavy to have been any type of printing process example, but a finished display or advertising piece.

Scott
Old 03-31-2014, 08:21 AM
Steven H.

Nice site. Can't wait to read through it to learn a little more about the set.
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 03-31-2014, 08:38 AM
Ronald Goldberg

Mike, very nice website. You may want to check how the site appears for iPad users.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Pope and Clancy

T209 Series One Pope and T206 Clancy are pictured in front of the same building in the background. Take a look

Pope is pictured in a Raleigh uniform

Clancy is pictured in a Buffalo uniform

I suspect that the Contentnea cards were produced in NYC like the T206s and that the same artist may have been responsible for the background, but........

Have we ever figured out if the building in the background really existed?

Granted the building on Pope's card has 4 little doohickeys below the roof on the left side and on Clancy's card there are only 3 little doohickeys, but the similarity of the rendition of the building is otherwise striking. Artistic License??

Clancy played briefly for the Pirates in 1905 and then exclusively for both Buffalo and Rochester until 1912.

Ashley Pope was a nineteen year old rookie in 1909 for Raleigh and never played outside the South.

It does not appear they ever played close to one another in the 1908-1910 time span or at any other time for that matter.

Just wondering as this is the first time I have looked at the Series 1 Contentnea cards.

If I'm all wet, so be it (it wont be the first time). Just thought it was worth a post. Thanks for the website Michael, which should help educate the Contentnea novices on the board.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 03-31-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:21 PM
Barry Arnold

Default mike p

great work on the website.
I've appreciated your research(and Prof. Tim's) in this area of vintage
scholarship for some time now.
all the best,
barry
Old 03-31-2014, 02:23 PM
pete ullman

Very nice site, Mike!

Frank...keen observation! But are you sure they are doohickeys and not thigamabobs?

Last edited by ullmandds; 03-31-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Mike, amazing site!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:20 PM

Default Nicely done!

Michael,

Nicely done!

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

The site looks great Mike. Its not to friendly on my android phone though. Not sure if WordPress has a plugin for mobile use but they might.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 04-01-2014, 06:22 AM

Mike,
Nice job. Thank you.
JimB
Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks to all of you for the many nice comments on the T209 website. I hope to have the hand-held/tablet formatting issue resolved by tomorrow.

Frank—Thank you for your very interesting observation. Like Pope the cards of Fullenwider, Hoffman and Stubbe all have a similar T206-inspired building in the background. Their photos were probably purchased from a photographer who sold images of players to cigarette manufacturers. This is most evident in the Series Two photos. Further, if you look again at the two panels of player images, one of them contains Al Orth in his T206 pose. That is part of the reason I think the panels were probably (with a nod to Scott) proof sheets. An individual manufacturer had many choices from which to choose a photo to be used on a card.

Was Pope produced by ATC? I don't think so for at least two reasons. Contentnea was an extremely small, regional cigarette manufacturer. If the cards had been produced by ATC they would most likely have been printed by American Lithographic Company in Philadelphia which, like Buck Duke and ATC, had a monopoly on card production. Because of their size, I doubt Erwin-Nadal, owners of Contentnea, used American Litho. Besides, I wouldn’t be surprised if ATC didn’t own the rights to “doohickeys” and their use!!

More importantly, had ATC or Am. Litho produced the cards, they would not have overlooked printing the tax stamp information required for the backs of all tobacco cards. As Tim and I pointed out in our essay on Series One, the lack of the tax stamp suggests a hastily produced set of a modest sixteen cards, probably printed locally.

Thanks again for looking!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

After viewing the site for the past day or so I'd like to say its just full of images and info. I have really enjoyed this site if you haven't checked it out you should. Once again solid job Mike.

Cheers,

John
Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
More importantly, had ATC or Am. Litho produced the cards, they would not have overlooked printing the tax stamp information required for the backs of all tobacco cards. As Tim and I pointed out in our essay on Series One, the lack of the tax stamp suggests a hastily produced set of a modest sixteen cards, probably printed locally.

Cheers,
Mike
Hey Mike
With this comment are you referring to the fact that the series one didn't have printed tobacco stamp information? Some of the cards were hand stamped, as we all know. Great site and thanks again..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt2091personalfinal6xa.jpg (79.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Frank—Thank you for your very interesting observation. Like Pope the cards of Fullenwider, Hoffman and Stubbe all have a similar T206-inspired building in the background. Their photos were probably purchased from a photographer who sold images of players to cigarette manufacturers. This is most evident in the Series Two photos. Further, if you look again at the two panels of player images, one of them contains Al Orth in his T206 pose. That is part of the reason I think the panels were probably (with a nod to Scott) proof sheets. An individual manufacturer had many choices from which to choose a photo to be used on a card.

Was Pope produced by ATC? I don't think so for at least two reasons. Contentnea was an extremely small, regional cigarette manufacturer. If the cards had been produced by ATC they would most likely have been printed by American Lithographic Company in Philadelphia which, like Buck Duke and ATC, had a monopoly on card production. Because of their size, I doubt Erwin-Nadal, owners of Contentnea, used American Litho. Besides, I wouldn’t be surprised if ATC didn’t own the rights to “doohickeys” and their use!!

Cheers,
Mike
I really enjoy the site.

The wordpress "follow T209" ad that doesn't give any option besides following the new posts by giving an email address is both new today and really annoying. But that's probably a wordpress thing rather than yours.

The panels are interesting in a lot of ways.

I think they may be samples of what the cards would look like in black and white. They aren't actual photos, but aren't exactly proofs either. I think that maybe they were made from the original art - photos with altered backgrounds- as a specific monochrome image.

A couple points to the above.
ALC was in NYC

They were also an very large printing business. They were almost certainly not in an exclusive arrangement with ATC. But they might have turned down a small job from a competitor to a very large customer. That's assuming contentnea could be considered a competitor in any real sense.

The factory number wouldn't have been ALCs responsibility. They would have printed what the customer asked for and approved. If that number was left off they might have mentioned it but unless they were asked to add it they wouldn't.

But I also don't think ALC produced the cards.

While there's some art that's similar for the type 1s, the overall production is quite different than the ALC cards. The number of colors used and the way of screening the colors used is very different.

The similar art is an odd mix as well. The Fullenwider and Pope are very close to the T206 art. But the Hoffman is a bit awkward looking. The T206 background buildings seem deliberately blurred giving them a more mythical feel but the one on Hoffman is a very crisp portrayal that's nice but for me doesn't work as well. The one on Stubbe I think actually works better than most of the T206 buildings despite being a crisper image.

All that makes me think the panels are done from either cards, or the original art to show what a simple change to black and white would look like. And I guess they were abandoned in favor of just using a finer screen to produce unmodified images from photos.
(An expensive experiment for someone! Generating the halftones was a big part of the expense. )

It all makes me appreciate my two type IIs a lot more. (Gastmeyer and Kite, both pretty beat)

Steve B
Old 04-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Steve Birmingham

Is it possible they originally intended the cards to be given out rather than as inserts? That might not have required the factory info, but would have had its own problems -like merchants not giving them out or letting people choose the one they wanted. That would have made them less effective as a promotion.

Steve B
Old 04-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Really great site Mike!!! Thanks for the research, another great bookmark to add!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Steve—Thank you for the thoughtful post. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that ALC was in Philadelphia. A “duh” moment. Mea culpa.

I agree with you that the cards were not produced by ALC. Despite being color lithos, they are a bit crudely executed by comparison with T206. I still think photographic jobbers had samples of player poses for customers to choose, and that’s what Erwin-Nadal went with, and then used their own printer to produce the cards.

I do think the cards were inserts since it was a successful business model for ATC, and Contentnea was trying to attract customers. Keep in mind that Erwin-Nadal had local competition (Wilson, NC) from Carolina Brights who were publically owned by Wells-Whitehead, but secretly owned by ATC. Erwin-Nadal would have known the ATC business model regarding cards and probably emulated it. And, as Scott Reader’s research establishes, the cards contained in brands owned by ATC created a collecting frenzy, one that E-W tried to capitalize upon.

Leon—Of course there are examples of hand-stamped backs, and thanks for displaying yours. In the essay on Series One, Tim and I hypothesize that Erwin-Nadal was working hastily to get the cards out. When they discovered the tax stamp omission, E-W quickly started stamping by hand. Fortunately for you, and others of us, it created an interesting back variation. I love the hand-stamped backs and am pleased to have a number of them in my Series One set.

Thank you for your interest and responses!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 PM

Great site, Mike. Thank you for the effort. Scot Reader
Old 04-02-2014, 11:48 AM

Folks--

The T209 website is now formatted for hand-held and tablet devices. Enjoy!

http://t209-contentnea.com

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Jeremy W.

Great site, Mike. Your site, along with the Old Cardboard article, have put a nice spotlight on a group of cards that was long overdue.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Val Kehl

Hi Mike,
Congrats on this very nice achievement. I look forward to when you have added biographies of the T209 players to your web site.

BTW, I checked my meager collection of 11 Virginia League T209-2s (the only ones I collect) against your T209-2 want list and discovered that I have one you are seeking - Griffin (Lynchburg). I'll email you scans of it, and if you want it, we'll find a way to get it into your collection.
Best,
Val