NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Jimi

Default Cataloging/Displaying your Type-Card Collection

Hey folks,

I started a very modest type-card collection awhile ago, but before I get too serious with it, I was wondering how some of you collector's catalogue and display it.

Traditionally, I use Excel (actually now I use Numbers since I have a Mac) to keep it organizationally sound, and I keep a file folder with respective pics. However, right now the cards are just in a box. Not a big deal because my collection isn't very big yet, but as it grows and I start getting into rarer cards with strange variations and tough backs, how do you guys not lose track of what you have? Do you place cards in sleeves/top loaders with a sticker on it indicating what it is, or do you have another method that works so that when you pull out a card you haven't seen in awhile, you aren't having to rush to your Excel sheet to remember what you have. LOL

Any thoughts, pictures, or screenshots are welcomed in this thread!

Jimi
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I "need" 2 cards so it's pretty easy to remember!! However there are some uncatalogued cards I still have to double check on before I buy them (again ). My whole collection list is in an email and is kept there with the prices paid and condition. I have my own website (Yahoo web hosting for $13 a mo.), as mentioned before, and it does everything I need...including being a permanent scan/pic hosting site.

If I started over I would use an excel spreadsheet as I do for my for-sale cards...
Old 04-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Jimi

Wow, Leon, who knew that you were the only type-card collector out there. Maybe you're the reason we can't track down any of the rarer stuff because you have it all.

Anyone else?
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Barry Arnold

Default Jimi

Glad to hear you're a type collector, ole buddy.
I decided from the beginning that I would have all my type cards framed for
my office walls. I did this, in part, so that I would have to choose cards carefully and so that I would not have to seek a 'limitless' number of cards.
I have around 250 different types from 1900-1939 all beautifully framed
(thankfully, my wife always had them done for me) and have filled all the walls
that I can call 'mine'.
I should also add that during this time, I also began a type collection of type 1
photos from 1900-1949, focusing primarily on world series scenes and limiting myself to one photo per year. I also decided to have one photo each from major
photographers and presses. I have nearly a hundred of these, all framed and
displayed.
I have to say that I love being able to see them all on display.
Thank goodness my office walls are mighty expansive.

Admittedly, I have left things a little open ended with respect to the photos
by using the criterion 'one photo from MAJOR photographers and presses'.
all great fun.
all the best, Jimi
Barry
Old 04-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Hi Barry, hows it going.

I'm mostly type but sometimes go off too much on one set like OJ.

I have done the following:
1)Xerox image paper copy of each card(color or not) kept in one file
2)Copy of all invoices, records of what was paid separate file
3)Photo image of each into a file on my PC
4)All cards to Bank S.D.B.
5)Soon to transfer images to Imageevent or other such record

I have change method before, and if see something else from a member I like, might change this in future.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Barry Arnold

Default frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Hi Barry, hows it going.

I'm mostly type but sometimes go off too much on one set like OJ.

I have done the following:
1)Xerox image paper copy of each card(color or not) kept in one file
2)Copy of all invoices, records of what was paid separate file
3)Photo image of each into a file on my PC
4)All cards to Bank S.D.B.
5)Soon to transfer images to Imageevent or other such record

I have change method before, and if see something else from a member I like, might change this in future.
great to see that you're doing the types still!
with your interest in OJs you must be including the 19th century in your type
collection. You're miles ahead of me, if that's the case.
all the best, ole friend
barry
Old 04-06-2014, 02:55 AM

I keep an excel spread sheet with price paid and date bought. I also scan each one. I've downsized a bit, not trying to get everything (though that would be nice), and focusing on issues that I like...

Ricky Y
Old 04-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Chris

Default Type card

Indians collector here:

I'm old fashioned, I have my wants on a list by the desk. It's also on the computer for updating.

I'm after a picture or card of every Tribe/ Nap since 1901 so the collection is getting huge. I'm also after a card/pin etc that has a Cleveland guy on it.I rotate displays in a curio cabinet. Currently the topics are "North of the Border" featuring OPC and earlier and "Rounding out the Collection" which is pins/discs/etc.

The bulk of the cards/photos are in binders that sit on the bookshelf.

There are 8 images I still need and 18 card types.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:48 AM

For my modest type set, I use the Collector Focus web site (see my sig line) to display and catalog the cards that I have.

I kinda have an idea of the cards that I still would like to add to the set, but if I come across a type that I am not sure if I have yet, I can always scroll through my set to see if I need it or not.

Last edited by Tom S.; 05-26-2016 at 10:52 PM. Reason: changed link to view my set
Old 04-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

While my type collection is Topps only the same issues arise, namely how to keep track of it all. I also use an Excel spreadsheet system-one tab has baseball, another for all other sports and then a third for non-sports. Even with this I have still bought cards where I already have an example and I'm pretty good about updating it.

I have not yet gone to the cloud for storing the spreadsheet but it would be nice to have it accessible anytime.

I would also recommend backing up your list (and your whole hard drive).

Display is not something I have thought about too much as my focus is more on having the type collection as reference material. Still, I do have some pieces I would like to put out but we aren't really set up for it here; maybe in the next house. Mine are stored in a closet in a combination of ways: shelves, drawers, boxes and albums and I note if one is part of a set as I do sell sets off sometimes and need to know if I need a replacement. Two Bobby Sherman cards are in my wife's office LOL.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-06-2014 at 02:17 PM.