NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-17-2022, 06:41 PM
pete ullman

Default churchman ruth ebay auction

this auction makes no sense...there are a handful of nicer examples at BIN's on ebay for 1/2 the money.

What gives?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27538162556...YAAOSwh7Ziyx6O
Old 07-17-2022, 07:36 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
this auction makes no sense...there are a handful of nicer examples at BIN's on ebay for 1/2 the money.

What gives?

Pete, this sale is just plain silly. Just look at the list of bidders, seemingly all newbies to the hobby but with cash in their pockets. Are Bambinomania cards ready to move to a new galaxy?
Old 07-17-2022, 09:13 PM
George E.

This is the one Babe Ruth card I have, so I’m glad to see it on the rise. It is one of the nicest looking Ruth cards there is, perhaps the best looking color baseball card of its decade. Additionally, I think it (along with the two related versions) is the only lithograph tobacco card of Ruth (although I’d be ready to be corrected on that, as I am not an expert on Ruth cards).
Old 07-17-2022, 11:44 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

How can it be a Babe Ruth card if nowhere on the card is the player identified? They drew a Ruth like figure but avoided paying royalties since there is no name. To me the card is worthless.

Last edited by oldjudge; 07-17-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:19 AM
George E.

The same composition is noted as Ruth here.
https://oldcardboard.com/eNews/2007/enews44/eNews44.htm
Old 07-18-2022, 12:24 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
How can it be a Babe Ruth card if nowhere on the card is the player identified? They drew a Ruth like figure but avoided paying royalties since there is no name. To me the card is worthless.
It is Babe Ruth on that card. It's the same image as the 1929 Shonen Club Babe Ruth postcard, where I believe Ruth is identified in Japanese on the card.

Edit: Looks like George beat me on this one.

Last edited by glchen; 07-18-2022 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:30 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:

What gives?

I'm not saying this auction isn't legit, but I was tracking/bidding on another card by this seller, the 1934 Quaker Oats Premium here: Link

The weird thing about this Quaker Oats auction was that I put in a snipe of ~$1000 for this card. A few days into the auction, the bids went above my snipe, so I got an email from Gixen that I was outbid. Then the next day, the bids mysteriously dropped under my $1000 snipe again. However, when I looked at the bidding history, there were no retractions. Then 1-2 days later, the bids again went over my $1000 snipe. And then the next day it was below $1000 again. On the final day, it went above $1000 permanently and ended where at the final price.

It seemed to me as if the seller was trying to find out the max bids from the bidders, but then there again, there were no retractions listed, so I have no idea what was going on. Maybe it was an ebay technical issue, but it still seemed weird to me.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:48 AM

Hello
It’s been a couple years since I’ve been on here, 2005. I got back into the hobby at the end of 2020. Still a few names out there that look familiar to me and I’m sure many are gone as well. These were my auctions I had on eBay. ( what a joke to sell there now) Unfortunately the auction for the Quaker Oats Ruth did get the bid reset twice. Both times it was because people bid on things they know little or nothing about or don’t do any research. Both bidders thought the facsimile Ruth signature was a one of a kind autograph and asked me to cancel their bids. So it’s easier to cancel a bid then have a none paying buyer. But that’s just my opinion.
Have a great day all. Jeff
Old 07-18-2022, 07:55 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I'm not saying this auction isn't legit, but I was tracking/bidding on another card by this seller, the 1934 Quaker Oats Premium here: Link

The weird thing about this Quaker Oats auction was that I put in a snipe of ~$1000 for this card. A few days into the auction, the bids went above my snipe, so I got an email from Gixen that I was outbid. Then the next day, the bids mysteriously dropped under my $1000 snipe again. However, when I looked at the bidding history, there were no retractions. Then 1-2 days later, the bids again went over my $1000 snipe. And then the next day it was below $1000 again. On the final day, it went above $1000 permanently and ended where at the final price.

It seemed to me as if the seller was trying to find out the max bids from the bidders, but then there again, there were no retractions listed, so I have no idea what was going on. Maybe it was an ebay technical issue, but it still seemed weird to me.

I also was watching the 3 ruth cards sold by this seller. All 3 went quite high…imo.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:07 AM

Hi Pete
You know the old saying, even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days lol. Yesterday, I got to play the old dog. I was pretty surprised and happy with a few of the auctions I ran also. Nice to be on the other side for once. Have a great day
Old 07-18-2022, 08:14 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67airborne View Post
Hi Pete
You know the old saying, even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days lol. Yesterday, I got to play the old dog. I was pretty surprised and happy with a few of the auctions I ran also. Nice to be on the other side for once. Have a great day
Yeah whatever makes no sense when there are a handful of better examples as bin’s on eBay for less money just does not make sense?
Old 07-18-2022, 09:05 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post

If the seller cancels a bid does that count as a retraction?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-18-2022, 09:24 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Babe Ruth's name not appearing on the card does not mean it is not a Babe Ruth card. The image and likeness (not a name) is what make it a Ruth card.

The artist did not draw a "Ruth like figure," he/she drew Ruth from a photograph (just like the T-206 cards were drawn/painted from real life photographs). Here is one of many photographs that could have served as the model. It is not even debatable that the card shows Ruth.

Worthless? Maybe to you, but the market indicates otherwise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth1.jpg (12.0 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth2.jpg (6.6 KB, 257 views)
Old 07-18-2022, 10:08 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67airborne View Post
Hello
It’s been a couple years since I’ve been on here, 2005. I got back into the hobby at the end of 2020. Still a few names out there that look familiar to me and I’m sure many are gone as well. These were my auctions I had on eBay. ( what a joke to sell there now) Unfortunately the auction for the Quaker Oats Ruth did get the bid reset twice. Both times it was because people bid on things they know little or nothing about or don’t do any research. Both bidders thought the facsimile Ruth signature was a one of a kind autograph and asked me to cancel their bids. So it’s easier to cancel a bid then have a none paying buyer. But that’s just my opinion.
Have a great day all. Jeff
Got it. Make sense. I think ebay should mark these cancelled bids as a retraction or something, but I learn something new every day.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:25 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

To me, no name, not a Ruth card. That's just my opinion. If you want to call it a Ruth card knock yourself out. Was the image drawn to resemble Ruth, almost surely.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:41 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
That's a bit of a hyperbolic statement, but I understand the thought. As a Churchman and no identification, I have never considered this card to be worth more than 150 bucks and would cap at that value personally in any purchase.

However, much like the Sanella, those priced out of the boom looking for a Ruth have gravitated to these cards and fed the rise. Sadly, in my estimations these oddballs that snuck in by association will take the hardest hit in any settling of the market if it comes to fruition.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:42 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
To me, no name, not a Ruth card. That's just my opinion. If you want to call it a Ruth card knock yourself out. Was the image drawn to resemble Ruth, almost surely.
As opposed to a card that shows a cartoon image of Babe Ruth‘s hands yet has his name? To you this is more a Babe Ruth card than a churchman?

To me this is a grey area it is obviously Babe Ruth‘s image. It may be a less desirable British issue that does not mention him by name but there is no question it is Babe Ruth. I would much rather have one of these than a card that says Babe Ruth yet shows nothing that resembles him at all.

To each their own!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 12.05.37 PM.jpg (94.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 12.06.06 PM.jpg (62.5 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 07-18-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
It is not even debatable that the card shows Ruth.
I think without the certain identification on the back it is certainly debatable. It would be an uphill climb and I am on your side thinking it is Ruth, but it's certainly debatable.

Also, if it's a fantasy painting of a "Babe Ruth type character" to avoid licensing, is that really a Babe Ruth card or a baseball themed card? I think the 1929 Shonen Club proves it is Ruth but things roll into into semantics, so it throws a wrench into it for me.

We could still be upended in the future much like this one, lol (sarcasm fyi)-

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-18-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:02 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If the seller cancels a bid does that count as a retraction?
I had this happen to me as well on an auction a while back. Clearly fraudulent. Apparently it's a big loophole in eBay's auctions. When it happened to me, I then asked the seller to cancel my bids, and he refused. I contacted eBay, whose advice was to let it run its course, and to not pay if I win. They said they would remove the unpaid item strike after a week or so. I spent hours on eBay chat trying to figure this out - and in the meantime uncovered around 5 ids that this moron used to shill his auctions.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, I think vintage card collectors are savvy enough to understand when a card depicts Ruth, even if it isn't labeled. Examples are priced accordingly.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-18-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:25 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Yeah whatever makes no sense when there are a handful of better examples as bin’s on eBay for less money just does not make sense?
I think what may happen is that a lot of people that still look at cards on Ebay have realized there are a ton of overpriced BIN's on there, and rather than looking through all of them when doing a search, may just look at auctions only. That is still a search selection option. In that case, there may be below market priced BIN's that people don't see.

Also, when taking part in auctions, people sometimes get caught up in the action and overbid without realizing it.

I think these can both be some viable explanations to what was happening.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:48 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I think what may happen is that a lot of people that still look at cards on Ebay have realized there are a ton of overpriced BIN's on there, and rather than looking through all of them when doing a search, may just look at auctions only. That is still a search selection option. In that case, there may be below market priced BIN's that people don't see.

Also, when taking part in auctions, people sometimes get caught up in the action and overbid without realizing it.

I think these can both be some viable explanations to what was happening.
certainly possible...I AM GUILTY of getting caught up in an auction and overpaying...more than once.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:49 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
certainly possible...I AM GUILTY of getting caught up in an auction and overpaying...more than once.
LOL

I am guilty of only doing Ebay searches for auctions sometimes. Usually don't bother looking at all the BIN's as they are normally way overpriced by sellers looking for some newbie or uniformed collector to overpay.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:10 AM
George E.

If you zoom in real close you get all the proof you could need.