NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Ok, gentlemen, let's see two cards that have recently tickled your fancy

Ok, boys (and ladies, too). The weekend is here. Work, for the most part, can wait until Monday morning. So, let's have a little fun.

I want you all to show me two cards that have just recently caught your attention. For some of you more experienced gents who have seen pretty much all the cards from the pre-war period, show me two cards that you've not yet acquired, but have recently decided to pursue for your own collection. They don't have to be the most expensive cards out there. Baseball cards speak to each of us in different ways. We find things aesthetically pleasing, we spot cards that grab us when we least expect it. It might be a brilliant color, or perhaps an action shot that's caused you to give a card another once over.

For some of us newer collectors, the pre-war niche is a little like the Americas being explored by Columbus, or Amerigo Vespucci, if you prefer. We've heard of set names, we may have even seen a card or three. But there are still treasures, and future purchases, to be uncovered. Speaking for myself, my focus since joining Net 54 has been the tobacco cards for the most part, at least where the pre-war cards are concerned. Oh, sure, I've dabbled some in the Goudey gum cards, and I will explore them more fully in the near future. But those little tobacco cards were the first ones to really resonate inside. But now I find I am exploring the candy cards, too. There are some real beauties in the Caramel cards.

So, I'll start off with two I have my eye on for sometime next year, and then throughout the weekend, I'll check back in to see what cards are putting an extra skip in everybody's step.

Pictures are, of course, encouraged and appreciated. After all, I will no doubt be seeing some cards I will own in the future for the first time today.

My first selection is the 1909-11 E90-1 American Caramel Willie Keeler portrait. I first saw this card about two months ago when I began looking into the Cy Young that Leon used on one of our recent forum tees. I saw this card, and just fell in love with it right away. It is a simple portrait with a clean, pink background. I like everything about it, including how the picture is cropped, leaving the top third of the card itself completely devoid of content. I like the typography, and I like the photo selected. It is a dignified portrait of a truly marvelous batsman.

The other card I've selected is the Rube Waddell T206 portrait. The rich, blue background is soothing, and, again, I love the photograph employed. I love the T206 portraits, and this one has become one of my favorite subjects in the set. Fortunately, it's not a terribly expensive card. I will be able to get a really nice example without needing to harvest an internal organ to pay for it!

Ok, everybody, let's see your selections!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:23 AM

I'll play along. I just saw this card on ebay. I already have two Collins cards, one is Newark too, but I like the cool pose/tough team combo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1887-N172-Ol...item58b858116b

The other card I recently saw, which I'll probably get sometime is an E120 Maranville. Would like to get something from him on the Pirates. This card would work. Scan is just from google images. Whenever I want a card like this, I'll save a scan until I get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20610_1595x943.jpg (77.7 KB, 541 views)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Luke Lyon

These two are on my list of cards I'd like to get someday. My OCD set collecting habits always prevent me from picking up cards like these that don't fit into any set or group I'm collecting.

I love the purple e94s and have always really liked the image on this Duffy Mayo's Cut Plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lf.jpg (72.5 KB, 529 views)
File Type: jpg lf (1).jpg (75.5 KB, 531 views)
Old 11-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Daryl

E105 Wags PSA A

http://www.kevinsavagecards.com/1910...ot261708.aspx#

I just found this (already ended) auction in a random Google search last night. I had never even heard of Kevin Savage Cards. Why doesn't every auction house that sells prewar advertise with Net54?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Jack Vernon

Well the one dream card above all others for me would be T207 Adams Red Cross but for 2 cards I'm currently going for I'll go with these two:

1924 Diaz Cigarettes - Guy Morton
T213-2 Chick Gandil - Cleveland

Old 11-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Luke Keeler

Wow, Daryl, that would have been a great addition for you. I remember buying from Kevin in the past, but had no clue that he was running auctions. Bill, that Keeler is a beauty. The pink variety is the last one of the E90-1 Keeler variations that I am needing. I like that Duffy too, Luke. I made a couple bids on a similar one in the Heritage auction, Thought whomever won it got a decent buy on it.

Last edited by LKeeler; 11-15-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Archive

Hi Bill

At the moment, the only card that is on my wantlist other than a T206 is this card.

Can't really explain why other than I like the image.

Jantz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becker.jpg (65.7 KB, 410 views)
Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
E105 Wags PSA A

http://www.kevinsavagecards.com/1910...ot261708.aspx#

I just found this (already ended) auction in a random Google search last night. I had never even heard of Kevin Savage Cards. Why doesn't every auction house that sells prewar advertise with Net54?
Oh man, Daryl, I can't believe I missed the Wagner. Stop looking at their auctions for 2 weeks and that's what happens. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Kevin Savage over the years both through their auctions and at the Philly Show. Actually it was Kevin Savage cards where the group of mello-mints originated about a year and a half ago before they were resold on ebay.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Oh man, Daryl, I can't believe I missed the Wagner. Stop looking at their auctions for 2 weeks and that's what happens. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Kevin Savage over the years both through their auctions and at the Philly Show. Actually it was Kevin Savage cards where the group of mello-mints originated about a year and a half ago before they were resold on ebay.

DJ

That's very interesting DJ - Mr. Savage is definitely on my "auctions to follow" list now.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Bill Gregory

Those are some nice cards, guys.

John, that's a nice OJ. In my admittedly limited experience researching them, it seems like there aren't a lot of horizontally-oriented cards. But I love this pose. And I can see it, too

I also have to admit that I didn't really like the E120s at first, but I am warming to them. When they're in nice shape like this Maranville, they look awesome.

Luke L., I do like the Mayo Cut Plugs. They are among my favorite pre-1900 sets. They will be among the short list of 19th Century sets I consider for my initial foray into pre-1900 period. I like the OJs, too, but too often the subjects are very hard to see. No such issue with that picture of Duffy, it is crystal clear. I'd love to own it.

Daryl, I'e heard of Kevin Savage cards. I did not know he did autions. I'm going to have to investigate. Thank you for the revelation.

Jack, do you have a nice picture of the Adams? I know I could look it up, but perhaps you have a picture that you are keeping as inspiration

Luke K. why yes, it is a beauty. I hope you are able to pick one up soon. I'll have to watch the pickup threads to see if you add one. I won't be shopping for mine for a while, probably early springtime. So, you won't have any competition here By the way, that Ramly you have for your avatar is gorgeous. I'd never seen the T204 set until I became a member here, and they've become a personal favorite. I really love black and white photography, and the embellishments make for a really eye pleasing composition.

Jantz, that's quite alright. Actually, that's the kind of card I'm looking for from everybody. I think we all have a few cards that we'd love to own, yet we couldn't quite put a finger on just why it appeals to us. This card speaks to you the same way the Keeler I pictured above does. I think this T207 card you've selected is beautiful, and haunting at the same time.

Keep them coming, everybody. Lots more people have peeked behind the curtain. Don't be shy, speak up! Tell us what you like.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Jesse

Great topic here bill. It's very interesting to see what people want to have in their collection but don't for one or two reasons. I know some set collectors like myself stay with what we are building. The other reason may be money. Anyway here are 2 cards I want in my collection at some point.

First is a 1949 Leaf Babe Ruth. Yes this card I feel in love with years ago and just never pulled the trigger. The main reason I like this card is simple it's BABE RUTH! I love the look of the card and it doesn't get the respect that it deserves in my eye. Either way still great card I want.

My second card I want is a T205 Walter Johnson. I sold this card along with my partial set years ago and I do want it back now. It was one of the first tobacco cards I ever bought. It's a great looking card. Who doesn't like the gold borders?

These will someday be added back to my collection at some point. Not crazy money for either which is nice. I'll def be looking for lower grades but just to own the cards will be fine with me. Thanks for the thread bill
Old 11-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Jack Vernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Jack, do you have a nice picture of the Adams? I know I could look it up, but perhaps you have a picture that you are keeping as inspiration
Oh I know where Adams is but here he is

This and the T216 Virginia Extra of Harry Bemis would be my top two right now long term. No picture for Bemis as I've never even seen the sale, just have a SGC listing to go off of

Last edited by Seiklis; 11-16-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Jesse, both those cards are really nice. I love pretty much any Walter Johnson card. The T205 is on my short list, but I'd want one with really clean gold borders, and that means big bucks. So it will be a little while. The Ruth is a really nice card, too. The only knock against it, in my eyes, is that it wasn't released while he was playing. In fact, it came out after he died. But, it's a widely collected card.

Jack, that is a cool card. Oh, how I wish there'd been a Shoeless Joe Jackson in that set. Maybe that's a custom I will do.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Ben Morton

I want to get that T202 Lord Catches His Man. That thread is one thing of my all time faves here.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Scott S

I've wanted to add a K-Zoo card, and thanks to our BST was able to add one this month!

Also, the whole Black Swamp E98 find intrigued me, and I was anxious to get something from the group, so here is my new add...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N690 Maul.jpg (78.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg e98 chase1.jpg (63.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 11-18-2014, 03:27 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I want to get that T202 Lord Catches His Man. That thread is one thing of my all time faves here.
Ben, I looked for that thing for several months, and nary a one came up on eBay. Then, within like a five day period, three of them came up. I ended up winning one of them. Here's mine:

We share that in common, then. That's one of my favorite two or three threads on Net 54, of the ones I've discovered thus far, at least. I have it permanently bookmarked. The way they went about locating the photographic evidence was pretty incredible to me.

Scott, very nice cards! The Black Swamp Find intrigued me, too. I still can't believe that box of cards was hidden in that house for so long. I thought it was really cool that the family choose to split the proceeds like that. The collector side of me might have just asked to pick a card or two to keep in lieu of the money.

Last edited by the 'stache; 11-18-2014 at 03:29 AM.