NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 PM

Default Need Help Identifying a Strip Card

Anyone ever seen one of these or know what it is? I believe it is probably from around 1928 based on the players pictured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strip card - front.jpg (81.6 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg back1.jpg (44.9 KB, 497 views)

Last edited by Leon; 04-11-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: resized back image
Old 04-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Not sure I have seen that before. What kind of paper stock is it on? Can you provide any other info or provenance? Anytime I see something I haven't seen before, I try to get the backstory of where it came from. Sometimes it helps lead to an id too.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM

It's on a fairly heavy cardboard stock similar to a baseball card. It actually came from the family of Jim Bottomley.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:43 PM

I wonder if this could be considered a strip issue (or even a card issue) as the the card widths are different, which I don't remember seeing before.

Brian
Old 04-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Looks like the bottom of a poster or a box top.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-11-2018, 02:55 PM
Larry

[delete]
Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Todd Schultz

Seems like it would be from 1929, as that was Southworth's first year as manager and Howley's last in St. Louis. Because both St. Louis managers are shown it may have come from that area.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM

I just measured it and the right side is 1/16" shorter than the left side, so I think it was likely hand cut along the top edge. Left side is 3 3/8" high and right side is 3 5/16" high. Length is 13 3/4" and is consistent at top and bottom edge. So, I think it was hand cut along top, but the left, right and bottom appear to be a factory cut. Also, it's got that number "60" at the bottom, which almost appears to be a page #, but that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense based on the heavy cardboard stock. Attached is a close up of the logo at the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strip card - logo.jpg (69.3 KB, 456 views)
Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The 60 at bottom would make me think this is out of a book of some sort; page number? Love that it includes Bobby Jones.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

The 60 identifies the print shop that printed it.

http://wp.unionlabel.org/2015/12/22/...rades-council/
Old 04-11-2018, 05:58 PM

Don't know what they are but the print quality is really sharp compared to some contemporary strip cards.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Don't know what they are but the print quality is really sharp compared to some contemporary strip cards.
Definitely sharper than any strips I can think of off hand, besides a few scarce ones that are real photo type...
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Craig L.

Default Similar

Same print shop, different city. See previous thread.

http://http://www.net54baseball.com/...d.php?t=251037
Pre-1957 Des Moines baseball memorbilia
**Ok, I buy DM stuff after '57**

Working on the following sets:
-T201 Master Set
-B18s set minus Reds. *18 to go*
-T202 End panel set
-'35 Goudey
-T206 361 commons/common back

Last edited by chlankf; 04-17-2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Goofed
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 PM
pete ullman

nice! looks honey boyish.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Dave Johnson

I consider myself fairly well rounded in the area of golf cards...I have never seen this Jones before.

There are a few golf card folks that would likely come out of pocket on this item pretty heavily if some backstory on this could be provided.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Not being a golf collector, I am curious as to what kind of value a golf collector might put on this item? I know it's probably difficult to estimate because the exact origin of this item is unknown at this point, but based on the fact that this is likely from the 1928-29 time frame and possibly a very rare item, do you have any ballpark or guidance on value?

Last edited by cmcclelland; 04-21-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:44 PM

I still find the fact that the Southworth 'card' is much wider than the others makes this extremely unlikely that this was a card issue.

It reminds me of the orange bordered 'Manager' cards from the mid-30's that were determined at a later date to actually be cut from a scorebook or writing tablet (I forget what).

Brian
Old 04-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I have no problem with this item being a new set of strip cards. The “60” is the shop number that was making the piece, they were an “Allied Printers Union” shop located in St Louis, Mo and at location number 60. The Union label or “bug” actually adds provenance and trackability of the piece and adds to legitimacy if someone cared enough to look into it.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think you mean these below, Brian. Still on the fence with the strip being talked about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I still find the fact that the Southworth 'card' is much wider than the others makes this extremely unlikely that this was a card issue.

It reminds me of the orange bordered 'Manager' cards from the mid-30's that were determined at a later date to actually be cut from a scorebook or writing tablet (I forget what).

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg news.jpg (75.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:06 AM
Dave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclelland View Post
Not being a golf collector, I am curious as to what kind of value a golf collector might put on this item? I know it's probably difficult to estimate because the exact origin of this item is unknown at this point, but based on the fact that this is likely from the 1928-29 time frame and possibly a very rare item, do you have any ballpark or guidance on value?

IF it was graded and authenticated as some "type card" that was part of an actual issue or perhaps a hand cut strip card....just my estimation but I would guess $750-$1000 easy for just the Jones...could be way higher if a few of the right folks who collect vintage golf and Jones get involved in bidding.

Auction format would be the way to go if this could be authenticated. But in my opinion it would get more play for the Bobby Jones than anyone else on the panel
Old 04-23-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think you mean these below, Brian. Still on the fence with the strip being talked about...
Leon, that is the one. The Bobby Jones 'strip' is a cool item, but I still can't get past the fact that the Southworth card was designed so much wider...I don't recall any issue where the width of the card is intentionally different.

Brian
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 PM

My guess (and this is just a guess) would be that this was a mock-up for some type of publication or advertising done by the print shop and then presented to the publisher so they could see it in print form before heading to mass production which was very expensive. Nearly every newspaper archive I have been to that predates WWII has things that look just like this but done "in house" by the printers at the newspaper. I have all sorts of paper scraps done on thick cardboard or blank backed paper that were mocked up by artists and then sent up to the publishers so they could see the finished product before they made thousands of them at high costs. These things I find are almost always from the 1920's (about when this was done) and look VERY similar in style but less card-like.

For example, that calendar above would have had an artist mock-up the player photos in the boxes and at various stages of publication they could have been printed in strips (before the calendar part was added) and sent to the customer for review. Those strips, if they existed today, would certainly look like a strip card set, but would just be part of making the calendar. Most of these of course would be discarded once the finished product was done, but in the case of newspapers they sometimes were kept in case they wanted to re-use them down the road.

The red lines in the middle and non-conformity in size are indicators to me that this was not really intended to be baseball cards, but some type of other publication that was in the process of being completed.

Just a guess.

Last edited by prewarsports; 04-23-2018 at 09:54 PM.