NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default Going old school: screw-down holders

I recently bought the low-grade T206 Lajoie pictured below, which came in one of GAI's sealed plastic sleeves used for low-value cards. The other Lajoie pictured was purchased ungraded. Because of the way I store all of my Lajoies in a safe-deposit box, I didn't want to run the risk of having these unprotected. I also had no desire to get them graded.

Given how many unused screw-down holders I have left over from the 1980s and '90s, I figured to put two of them to good use. I know the cards don't look as nice as they would in an SGC holder, but paying $6 each plus shipping just for aesthetics isn't something I felt like doing right now. Plus, again, all I want to do is protect these from becoming damaged. Which leads me to my question.

I read all the time posts that convey that very thought ... "I got this low-grade card graded only to protect it." So why not go the screw-down route? I know the horror stories about torquing the screws too tightly and damaging the card. But if you put the card in a plastic sleeve and don't go crazy with a screwdriver, I don't see damage being done to the card. Or can it?

I probably wouldn't put a high-grade or a card with significant value in a screw-down holder, but am I missing something in thinking this is an OK way to go in certain situations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nl1.jpg (38.9 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg nl2.jpg (48.5 KB, 466 views)
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sleeve, no worries

As long as that sleeve is in there I don't see a problem. The main thing about screwdowns is that they are bulky compared to toploaders. I have a bunch of cards in screwdowns that are out on display in my office. None of them are too valuable either...All of my other raw cards are in toploaders due to being easier (smaller) to store that way.

Last edited by Leon; 09-22-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Sounds good to me.

Here is my rare 1954 Bowman Ted Williams in a screw-down holder.

Most of my "big $$$$" cards are in old-fashioned hard plastic holders.

I guess I should place my 1941 and 1951 Ted Williams cards in screw-down holders.

[linked image]

T-Rex TED
Old 09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Bobw

Default Screw Downs

My memory of screw down holders:

Many years ago, my friend and I went to do one of the Bob Lee Labor Day shows in San Francisco. At JFK, when we put our carry on luggage cases (which carried all our cards in stackable screw down holders) into the X Ray machine, the person manning the machine thought we had bullets inside and made us open the cases to show him it was actually baseball cards.

We all had a good laugh back then but if it happened today......
Old 09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Ken Wirt

I use screwdown holders for all of my ungraded HOF cards. I love the confidence in being able to allow friends to look closely at them, and also how they pretty well match the graded ones as far as storage method.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Bill Hedin

Hi Ted,
I think we have a few mutual friends!
I talked with Bob Thing last night for over an hour.
Bob took me to shows when I was a young and is the main reason I got so deep in the hobby. Bob's my hero.
Dan Evan is another collector I looked up to!

Take Care,
Bill
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Bill

I've known "Skowhegan Bob" Thing since 1981. A great guy in this hobby.

I have emailed you, so we can continue this conversation.

Regards,
Ted Z
Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 AM

I prefer the little plastic sleeve and then a top loader.

The card is easy to pull out (by pulling on the plastic sleeve within the top loader) - and it doesn't move around much within the holder itself.

Screw downs are too big and bulky (and I am not fond of how they look)-
it is much easier to grab a stack of top loaders and enjoy your cards.

imho.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I recently bought the low-grade T206 Lajoie pictured below, which came in one of GAI's sealed plastic sleeves used for low-value cards. The other Lajoie pictured was purchased ungraded.
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but that Lajoie on the right looks a little fishy to me. It might be trimmed.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 AM
John Hanssen

Default OUCH heres some damage from one

An exapmle of damage from a screwdown all corners have chipping. Your cards size would not be an issue in these holders. This early 50s size it more pron to damage like this. But as you can seen for the guy that owned this one sometime in the past it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56 Mantle.jpg (35.7 KB, 249 views)
Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 AM

You see damage alot on the tall boy 60s topps cards due to the screw downs, tossed my pile of these recently
Old 09-24-2010, 12:58 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I make backdrops in photoshop and use screwdowns. I also normally double the size of the mat and use a clear sleeve. will post some samples eventually. You can also find them on my site. Just click below.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Rob Miller

When I go to a card show I like to look through dollar bins with assorted cards from all eras. I like the dealers that use screwdowns for their 1982 Topps Chili Davis RC. If you didn't know any better you would think that card is pretty valuable being screwed down and all.

Last edited by Robextend; 09-24-2010 at 01:09 PM.