NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Default What is the explanation behind this Honus Wagner?

Posted By: Mike P.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5224261917

I ran across this and it is obvious what the problem is but I am curious as to why SGC labeled it the way they did. So if a card is built to have a front of one type and a back of another the card is designated a rebuild under the card designation based on the back? I just found it odd.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

To my eye, the flip looks funny along the top edge. My 2cents.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

That is strange. I bet some people bid based on the scan looking like it was holdered with the REB designation. Did the seller do this on purpose ?

Old 08-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Erick Lewin

just guessing, but it looks as if the "P" on the back in the word caporal, was fixed possibly a dab of glue was put on it. The letter looks off, kind of crooked, or that could just be from the creases.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian Anderson

not in a holder right? I think the seller took the scan to make it look like it was in a holder. Maybe its obvious and I'm a boob.

D

Old 08-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

This card is NOT slabbed. What he has done is place the flip on a black background to make it look like it was slabbed. VEry deceptive to say the least. And givent he title of the auction, there is not doubt he is trying to pass this off as being slabbed by SGC. Very shaddy to say the least.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Damian Anderson

Thanks Jay for the confirmation. This is just a scam. Who cares?

D

Old 08-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim J

It would be great if this was an undocumented card.We all know that this can't be real.

Old 08-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i think, it would be safe to say that this alteration took place in the last 20 years.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

If the Wagner card survived a rough life and was rebacked with a Soverign back, you could rationalize that the card was rebacked with materials from the period of issue of the card.

But if that was done, the selected Soverign back would show far less abuse than the front of the card.

In my opinion, the Wagner is too white for a card which shows this amount of wear. I believe that it is an interesting fake. As such, the current bid represents its maximum value, unless you are more gullible than I am.

Edited to add:

Sweet Caporal back. See? It is like I say! Gil is NOT perfect.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Rebacking caramel cards of Wagner with T card backs is an old-school forgery effort aimed at passing off the final product as a T206 Wagner. The process was chronicled about 25-30 years ago when a similar card surfaced. It was tested and the card came apart when soaked. Assuming both sides of the card are real, my guess is that the forgery was made in the late 1970's.

The most you will ever get from SGC in terms of non-numbered grading is an "AUT" (authentic) on a rare but low grade card, if you request it. SGC does not grade "REB"; the poster above is correct that the listing deceptively places a rejection label into position like a real label then photographs it. Since SGC labeled it rebacked, my guess is that the two sides are real and we are dealing with a late 70's T206 forgery.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

This card was sent to SGC for grading and authentication. The card was not holdered and was returned with a REB grade. This indicates the card was " re-backed". Apparently, the back was changed after the card was printed. I'll provide the SGC label with the card. Please look carefully.

I dont see any deception or scam at all. He clearly states what it is. Its mearly an oddity and the price indicates it.

"I had the right to remain silent. I just didn't have the ability" Ron White

Old 08-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

I have a problem with how the scan is done. No doubt it is deceptive.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

The thing is on SGCs site they state REB is "Rebuilt" not rebacked. I am wondering why SGC would even label this card as either an E93 or in this case a T206. This card is obviously NOT a T206. The problem here is now the buyer of this card can EASILY win this one take a relatively decent looking T206 wagner and pass the card off as real with this slab.

Edited to say that I think in cases like this SGC should have not even made a flip for this and just sent a rejection card. I have sent cards rejected by SGC and have not received a flip.