NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Al

Default Need A Little Help With A Football Item

Yes I know its Football but I know some of us are good with this. I looking for a value and also What is it? I dont think its part of a board game ,Lighter cardboard stock measures about 13 by 13 open 13 by 6 1/2 closed.Has a string with a small piece of tube 10 yards long that moves up and down the string, also a small round ball that also moves up and down. Has a copyright 1935 L.E Sultzer Red Wing Minn. Patent Pending. Nice graphics looks like it was never written on. Wanted to see if anyone knows about it. I picked this up at one of my local antique stores..... Thanks for any info...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 07-13-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:44 PM

I’ll take a wild shot - I can’t see it well enough but my first thought is that you listen to games on the radio and move the string which had a small ball marker on it to wherever the current field position was. You’d also write scoring details on the chart.

Rob M
Old 12-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Al

A little better pic of the inside

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 07-13-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
I’ll take a wild shot - I can’t see it well enough but my first thought is that you listen to games on the radio and move the string which had a small ball marker on it to wherever the current field position was. You’d also write scoring details on the chart.

Rob M
Thats a good thought Rob..

Old 12-14-2018, 05:35 PM

Just found this (more info than necessary) on the internet and related to the patent -

Rob M

Description

Oct. 4, 1938.

GAME

Filed March 22, 1935 vos. PENAuzED L Fwo. PASS com. =A

F/RsTpaw/vs Fume-LES n I e i r` ,a 1

FIRST Downs VDS. PENALIZEL? FWD. PASS CQME c. s. SULTZER 2,131,825

Patented Oct. 4, 1938 amsn ' GAME Clifton s.-su1tzer,ned WingMinn., assigner to Louise E. Sultzer, Red Wing, Minn.

Application March 22, 1935, Serial No.` 12,393

' 5 claims.l (ci. 116-120) My invention relates to an improvement in games of a type designed for use by a player hearing the description of a footballgame or the like, broadcast over the radio.

In listening to `the broadcast 'of a 'football game over the radio, the listener is often times confused by the terms used by the announcer.

It is also a fact Athat the game is often less interesting through the lack of a pictorial view of the position of the ball on the playing field. It is Voften found that the information broadcast by the radio announcer provides more detailed information on the events taking place than are observed by the usual spectator. However, if the listener to a broadcast cannot actually see the position of the ball on the playing field, the game often lacks the interest it would otherwise have. In order to graphically show the position of the ball on the playing field, large charts are sometimes prepared by which a listener may mark the progress of the game'with theuse of certain predetermined symbols. Such a `chart, however, is dillicult to form and somewhat of a knowledge `of a game is necessary in order to keep accurate records.

` It is an object of my invention to provide a folder containing a chart illustrating a `playing fieldA and to provide a simple adjustablemeans to disclose the position of the ball at all times. My invention also provides a means of disclosing at a glance the number of yardswhich have been made and which remain to be made in any series of downs. Y

In preferred form, my invention comprises a .pair of guides mounted longitudinally along a chart of a playing field and to mountupon these guides markers to denote the position of the ball at any time and to disclosethe yardsmade or remaining to be made in any series of downs.

It is a feature of my invention to providein combination with the playing eldfa chart in which the records of the game may be accurately kept. Theyadjustable markers usedl incombination with the playing eld may be readily adjusted with the end of a pencil and the pencil may be used also to mark. downthe recordsof the essential statistics ofthe game.

It is also a feature of my invention'to provide i `in combination with a chart disclosing a playing eld and diagram for use in -following a football radio broadcast, charts showing the usual `common forms of offense and defense used in modern the listener may more readily understand the game. i

These and other objects and novel features of my invention will be more `fully and clearly set forth in the following specification and claims.

`In the drawing forming part of the specification:

Figure 1 discloses my folder in partially opened form in the position it might assume while being used torecord a football broadcast.

Figure 2 discloses the reverse sides of the folder laid out in flat formation.

Figure 3 is asection on the line 3 3 of Figure '1. l Y

Figure 4 is a sectional View similar to'Figure 3, disclosing an alternative form of construction.

Figure 5 is a detail view of a corner of my folder, disclosing a-pad o-f record sheets which may be used rather than the single sheet of the folder illustrated in Figure 1. Y

The folder A comprises a` front cover I0, a record second page II, a third page I2 illustrating diagrammatically a football field, and `a rear page I3 on which appears various rules and 'formationsto clarify theV broadcast. The cover :nine games duringthe football season, so that the sheet Il would form a complete record of the year of every game. Obviously, the number of sections I4"on the sheet II may be varied at will. Y

In each of the sections I4 columns I5 are provided for recording the name of the team playing and `recording separately statistics from` each period of the Ygame as well as,` the total for all of the periods. The statistics which arejlisted are written in horizontal columns defined by transversely extending lines l5 and may include any statistics usually recorded from a game such as the number of rst'downs, the number of fumbles, 'the number of forward passes completed, the score, and the like. f'

The third sheet of the folder A", designated by the numeral'- IZon the drawing, illustrates a playing field I1 which is divided by transversely extending lines IB simulating the yard lines on a football field. These lines I 8 are equi-distant apart, and the distance between adjacent lines represents ten yards on the playing field. Lighter lines I9, midway between the lines IB, represent ve yard lines. Even lighter lines 2|] can be provided if desired, to represent each yard along the field. Suitable indicia 22 along the sides of the playing field I1 designate the various lines, so that any yard line along the playing lield may be readily found in a minimum of time.

At either end of the playing field I1, I provide an arcuate cut 23 which forms a pair of oppositely disposed ears 24. A ne wire 25 is looped under one of these ears 24, extended the length of the playing field I1, and is fastened beneath the other ear 24. In this manner I provide a pair of fine Wires stretched tightly the length of the playing field I1 in parallel relationship. On one of the parallel wires I provide a tube 26 of composition, metal, paper or any suitable material, which is just the length of the distance between the ten yard marking lines I8. This tube 26 represents the ten yard chain of the head linesman; and one end of the tube is set at the point where the ball is set in play for a series of downs and clearly illustrates at all times the number of yards made in a series of downs, and the yards yet to be made in a series of downs to make a first down.

On the other parallel stretch of the wire 25, I provide a bead 21 which is slidable along this wire to any point on the playing field. This bead 21 simulates the ball, and is moved back and forth along the field as the game is played, showing at all times the exact position of the ball on the playing field. The tube 25 and bead 21 are drawn into engagement with the board by the tightness of the wires.

In listening to the radio broadcast, the announcer first will describe the kick-01T. The ball is placed on the forty yard line for this play; and the listener slides the bead 21 to the forty yard line. After the ball is kicked, it is picked up by the opposing team, and run out to, for example, the twenty-two yard line. The bead is then adjusted to the opposite twenty-two yard line, and the tube 26 is moved along the wire 25 until the end thereof nearest the adjacent goal line is on the twenty-two yard line. Say, for example, that on the first down the team with the ball runs the ball to the twenty-seven yard line, for a gain for i'lve yards. The bead 21 is moved to the twentyseven yard line; the tube 26 remaining in the previously adjusted position. This is the position of the ballin Figure l of the drawing. In this figure, the team defending the left goal has possession of the ball, and it may be seen at a glance that the team has ve yards to go for a rst down. The tube 26 is only moved when one team or the other has possession of the ball for a first down.

As first down, or forward passes are made, or the ball is fumbled, or scores are made, these statistics are recorded in the sections I4 of page two of the folder, designated by the numeral II. In this manner a record of the game may be kept for future use.

The fourth page of the folder A, designated by the numeral I3, illustrates diagrammatically several playing fields 28 on which are arranged diagrammatically the various common offensive and defensive arrangements of players. Each playing iield illustrates a common offensive line-up, and

a common defensive arrangement. Thus when the radio announcer describes certain formations which the players are assuming on the field, the listener may at a glance note the arrangement of which the announcer speaks. A better picture of the game may in this way be obtained. For example, when the announcer speaks of a 6--2- 2 1 arrangement of a defensive team, the actual positions of the various players can be seen.

On the sheet I3 of the folder A, I may also describe various rules and explanation of points of the game, for the purpose of clarifying the game in the minds of the listeners. A list of penalties and the reasons for such penalties may be provided. A playing eld illustrating the arrangement of the players for a kick-off designated in Figure 2 by the numeral 28, may also be provided.

I have described my folder as comprising a single folded sheet. It may be desirable in some instances, to provide a pad 29 of sheets, as illustrated in Figure 5, to make the folder accommodate a greater number of game records. In this modification, a pad 29 of sheets is merely secured to the page II of the folder A, each sheet bearing forms for containing records of one or more games.

Figure 4 illustrates a slightly different form of support for holding the Wire 25 stretched across the playing field. In this form, a metal clip 30 is provided, having a body portion 32, pointed ears 33 which extend through the folder A and are clinched over on the opposite side of the sheet, and a hook tongue 34 within which the wire 25 is looped. Other means may be provided, as well as those specically shown, for holding the Wire 25 in position longitudinally across the playing field I1.

If desired, my bead may be in the form illustrated in Figure 4 of the drawing. In this modification, the bead 35 is square in shape, and the various sides 36 and 31 are differently colored. By turning the bead so that one color is displayed while one team is in possession of the ball, and so that another color is displayed while the other team is in possession of the ball, the direction of travel of the ball may at all times be noted. It will be noted that one face of the bead 35 engages the playing field I1 while the opposed surface is displayed, preventing rotation of the bead until desired.

I have provided a game which may be played in co-ordination with a football radio broadcast. This game illustrates at all times the position of the ball and the yards which must be made for a first down. My game thus provides a visible means of showing the exact position of the ball on the playing eld, and is used in combination with a record sheet for statistics, and with an explanation for doubtful points of the game.

In accordance with the patent statutes, I have described the principles of operation of my game, and while I have endeavored to set forth the best embodiment thereof, I desire to have it understood that this is only illustrative of a means of carrying out my invention, and that obvious changes may be made within the scope of the following claims without departing from the spirit of my invention.

I claim:

1. A game including a playing field, simulating a football field, a guide extending longitudinally of said field, slidableA and rotatable polygonal means on said guide for indicating the position of a ball on the field in accordance with the vtongues formed in said base board defined by position of a ball on the field of a game being broadcast, and means on said slidable means made visible by rotating said rotatable and slidable means for indicating which team is in possession of the ball.

2. A game board including a base board, a pair of clips each anchored in said base board and having a bodyl portion overlying a portion of said board, a spring tongue doubled back from said body portion to form a normally closed hook, a

loop extending between said clips and anchoredY in said hooks formed by said tongues, and a slidable and rotatable indicator having indicia bearing flat sides mounted on said loop.

3. A game board including a base board, a loop stretched over said game .board and anchored at opposite ends, and a cubicularslidable member slidablymounted on one Vside of said loop and slidable between said opposite ends of said game board, one surface thereof engaging said base board to prevent rotation thereof unless desired, said cubicular member bearing indicia on some of its sides.

1 4. A game board including a base board,

tween said tongues, and a slidable and rotatableV indicator having indicia bearing at sides mount- .ed on said loop.

5. A game device comprising a sheet of foldlable material, a portion of said foldable sheet having a pair of oppositely disposed arcuated slots therein, said slots providing arcuated tongues each having a thickness corresponding to the entire thickness of the sheet portion, the free ends of said tongues extending in opposite directions, and the sheet portion providing a continuously flat surface between said tongues, a loop extending over the foldable sheet portion between said slots, said loop extending through one end of each slot, beneath the tongue within said slot, and through the other end of each slot, and a slidable indicator on said loop', said indicator being held in engagement with the foldable sheet by said loop. Y

CLIFTON S. SULTZER.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:49 PM
Al

Wow Rob that is some great Information on the piece. Like I said I had never seen something like this and didnt think it was a board game. I never had seen another one. What might you think a price might be? I wont hold you to it...

Old 12-14-2018, 06:23 PM

Unfortunately I have no idea but good luck with it.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Al

Rob no problem at all I want to thank you for all the great information you found out about it. I like you when someone has a question on a pin (which is my field) I always try and answer. That is why Net 54 is such a good little family with great knowledge and information. It helped me greatly understand about the piece!

Old 12-14-2018, 11:23 PM

Excellent answers from everybody.
There are a handful of tabletop baseball games from the same 1930s-1940s era that facilitate
"keeping score at home," but most all of them also provide a method (dice, spinners, whatever)
for playing a game of your own.
Always tough, if not impossible, to estimate a price on a never-before-seen thing... Tabletop football games
(or game-like things) generally (generally) don't command the same sort of prices baseball games do --
we've picked up some really obscure (but cool!) 1930s-'40s football games for as little as $20.,
but we've also seen other similar football items fetch $150. or more.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 12-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Excellent answers from everybody.
There are a handful of tabletop baseball games from the same 1930s-1940s era that facilitate
"keeping score at home," but most all of them also provide a method (dice, spinners, whatever)
for playing a game of your own.
Always tough, if not impossible, to estimate a price on a never-before-seen thing... Tabletop football games
(or game-like things) generally (generally) don't command the same sort of prices baseball games do --
we've picked up some really obscure (but cool!) 1930s-'40s football games for as little as $20.,
but we've also seen other similar football items fetch $150. or more.
Thanks Butch....

Old 12-17-2018, 10:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

Here's a link to the patent at the USPTO. Google patents is by far the easier search, but their OCR makes a mess of some documents. USPTO is almost unsearchable if you don't have the number. But they have the actual document as a PDF - Click on images, then on the full pages button to get to the PDF - The USPTO link is so long the board software doesn't seem to recognize it.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...5&RS=2,131,825
Old 12-17-2018, 10:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

Or, a direct link. Either the board software slightly changed how a post preview is shown, or I forgot.
USPTO
Old 12-17-2018, 03:20 PM
Al

Thanks Steve looks like they re vamped the cover and got rid of the cigarettes at the bottom and did a changing of the words on the front.. Great information Guys Thankyou...