NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Default E90-1 Young Cle pictures Irv Young

I have long thought that the E90-1 Young Cleveland card does not picture Cy Young, even though it was intended to be Cy. I recently came across a picture of Irv Young from a newspaper in 1905 that shows a similar profile view of Irv as is shown on the E90-1 Young Cleveland card. Just from looking at his nose, it is clear to me that the E90-1 card was created from a picture of Irv. Anyone agree or disagree?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes but

It looks like Irv but Irv was left handed and it looks like the player is right handed on the E90-1. On the E97's it is clearly Irv marked as Cy.....
Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Matt Wieder

But the e90-1 image is reversed from the newspaper photo.

Troy - it looks right to me. I wonder if they flipped it knowing it was Irv and that Cy pitched with the other hand. I had always assumed it was just a lousy artist, but that looks exactly like Irv reverse from the photo you posted.

edited to add, now I'm confused - the newspaper article says Cy Young...

Last edited by Matt; 06-09-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Matt, one of Irv's many nicknames was "Young" Cy Young (in reference to the original Cy Young) so it is talking about Irv. It does look like Irv (at least more so than Cy) based off a similar photo to the one in the newspaper. OR it could just be a really crappy artist rendition, the E90-1 set is full of 'em (ie Joe Jackson). The E90-1's are interesting /c while some players look unmistakable, others look just as generic as their E91-C counterparts!
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Looks a lot more like Irv than Cy to me... nice observation!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Default Wow

The shape of the outline of the face on both card and article look to be pretty exact, just in reverse.

The article does indicate 'Young' Cy Young, which I think is how Irv was quite often identified at the time.

Great detective work Troy...the value of this E90-1 as well as the E92 Dockman, etc. that share this artwork should accordingly plummet because this now should not be known as Irv Young, not Cy Young.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 06-09-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: more fo, better fo
Old 06-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Great detective work Troy...the value of this E90-1 as well as the E92 Dockman, etc. that share this artwork should accordingly plummet because this now should not be known as Irv Young, not Cy Young.
The card was clearly intended to picture Cy as the team name indicates, so I doubt it would ever be valued as an "Irv." Plus, I'm not sure anyone who ever owned one looked at it and felt they had an image resembling Cy. The value of the E97 is precedent here as well.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The card was clearly intended to picture Cy as the team name indicates, so I doubt it would ever be valued as an "Irv." Plus, I'm not sure anyone who ever owned one looked at it and felt they had an image resembling Cy. The value of the E97 is precedent here as well.

Exactly.

And FWIW the E97 is even a more questionable case, as the team designation does not put it 100% as Cy Young (vs. Irv).

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM
D.B. Cooper

Irv's been running roughshod over collectors for years. One of the first tobacco cards I ever bought was a T206 Irv Young at a convention when I was about 8. Thought it was Cy. Told all my friends it was Cy. Pretty sure the dealer sold it to me at a Cy price. Irv really needs to be stopped.

Last edited by Anthony S.; 06-09-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:42 PM

Default Cyber Cy

Matt is correct...I neglected to note the team designation. Still I believe the artist used Irv as his model, and got his slopey chin correct. Collectors of the world, big Cy of relief...your candy Youngs will not decrease in value.

Brian (I sing the song of the pyro..."You live a little, you burn a little"
Old 06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

demand may go down a bit, I know I personally like the card less now.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:45 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Great detective work Troy!

I'd posted a question last week about this card. I've always thought it wasn't Denton "Cy" Young on the card. I was almost convinced, after looking at a few other pictures of him, that it could be as others have said, a "bad rendition" of him. But now, it looks pretty convincing that it is in fact simply a reversed negative of Irv Young.

And to piggy-back on the comments about Irv being nicknamed "Young" Cy Young.....I seem to recall a card, perhaps it was the E94, where the caption reads "Old" Cy Young. So there at least, is an indication that the card maker was making a differentiation between "Old" Cy (Denton) and "Young" Cy (Irv).

It all makes me wonder about the E97, E98 and others that picture Irv, but the caption reads Cy. Could the cards have been meant all along to be Irv, and the manufacturer simply neglected to put Irv's "Young" nickname on the card, and thereby muddying the issue for collectors. If so, the E97 and E98 cards should not carry the HOF premium that they currently do.

Edited to add:

I just looked at baseball-reference.com, and Irv's record shows he played for the Boston Beaneaters (NL) from 1905-1908. He then went to Pittsburg for a year, and then to the White Sox his final two seasons. So the E97 and E98 which read "Cy Young, Cleveland" were clearly meant to be Denton Young. It's a simple case of using the wrong player's picture on them.

Steve

Last edited by Steve D; 06-09-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Todd Schultz

While I don't mean to spoil anybody's kudos, hasn't this been known for years?

I've known that this pose and several others depcit Irv, and as I don't even collect these sets, I'm certain I learned it here.

At a minimum, I guess it serves as a reminder or as notice to those who did not know this before.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I just looked at baseball-reference.com, and Irv's record shows he played for the Boston Beaneaters (NL) from 1905-1908. He then went to Pittsburg for a year, and then to the White Sox his final two seasons. So the E97 and E98 which read "Cy Young, Cleveland" were clearly meant to be Denton Young. It's a simple case of using the wrong player's picture on them.

Steve
Not for E97, Steve, as the Young card has a Boston NL variation...could well have been intended to be Irv Young.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 AM
marty

you don't think the artist intentionally used Irv Young as the model knowing full well it was NOT his subject? I always assumed the artist needed a drawing of YOUNG, cleveland and grabbed the only YOUNG he could get his hands on as a model.... This advertisement could very well have been the model that misguided the artist.. very cool!

Last edited by martyogelvie; 06-10-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Cy Young....or "Young CY" Irv Young

Here is my theory on this card. American Caramel (ACC) intended it to be IRV YOUNG. The pix
is indeed Irv (not Cy).
This card was printed in the last series of the E90 set, which was issued in the Spring of 1910.

Irv Young was acquired by Chicago (AL) from Minneapolis (American Association) Aug 13, 1909.

This was about the same time ACC was planning the last series of 20 (or 30) cards for the E90
set. Therefore, the designer, when lettering the caption, was confused by the "Young Cy" nick-
name given Irv, for Cy Young.

TED Z
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

Possible bias against Ohio ballplayers whose nickname contained only two letters?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
While I don't mean to spoil anybody's kudos, hasn't this been known for years?

I've known that this pose and several others depcit Irv, and as I don't even collect these sets, I'm certain I learned it here.

At a minimum, I guess it serves as a reminder or as notice to those who did not know this before.
This information has been known since the Flintstones were eating pterodactyl but certainly not everyone knows it. I found out when I bought my E97 black and white Young from Tik Sr., about 10 yrs ago.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This information has been known since the Flintstones were eating pterodactyl but certainly not everyone knows it. I found out when I bought my E97 black and white Young from Tik Sr., about 10 yrs ago.
you found out about the e90-1 Young after buying the e97 Young?