NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-20-2017, 08:16 PM
btcarfagno btcarfagno is offline
T0m C@rf@gn0
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 3,093
Default

Places like Liveauctioneers and Proxibid do this to some extent. Live auctions and all that. Just no video and not much in terms of interaction.

To me the idea has some merit if it could be done right. Would have to work out all bugs well beforehand. Last thing you want would be technical difficulties during the first auction. That might end things right there.

Tom C
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 PM
conor912's Avatar
conor912 conor912 is offline
C0nor D0na.hue
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,018
Default

I'm just about over auctions of all kinds these days. I'll happily "over pay" with a BIN than deal with competition and absurd time restraints...it's just not worth the hassle to me anymore.
__________________
Items for sale or trade here UPDATED 3-16-18
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Steve D's Avatar
Steve D Steve D is offline
5t3v3...D4.w50n
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,149
Default

Hell NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are too many auctions houses as it is, the last thing we need is more!!!!!!!!!

JMHO


Steve
__________________
Successful BST deals with Leon, veloce, shammus, lharris3600, jimivintage, sb1, seablaster.

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
Obak Vernon Tigers - all years
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 AM
bobfreedman bobfreedman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 932
Default Auction Companies

Obviously I am a bit biased about the number of auction houses out there but I think people fail to realize that more auction companies breed competition. Competition helps us all out with lower seller's fees. Do you think that if there were only 2 or 3 sports auction companies, that they would offer 0%?, -5%?.

Many of our customers use our live auction format www.morphyauctions.com , www.celebrityauthenticsauctions.com , www.goldinauctions.com runs 2 to 3 live events a year as well.

Again, I realize that I am biased but lets give things some thought before we open our mouths
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,193
Default

I was able to speak with my friend last night about setting up a live auction format with electronic bidding and ect. It is going to cost a tiny bit but I am going to give it a shot and see if we can get the site set up and some testing done. Will keep you all posted.

I also agree there are way to many AH around. I am not looking to post 1000 items a night or allow bidding into the next day. The whole point is to bring something old and new together and make things better right.

I will be looking forward to feedback as I start this journey. I want to make sure its a great experience overall for everyone.
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:09 AM
T205 GB's Avatar
T205 GB T205 GB is offline
@ndrew woo.dfin
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 1,193
Default

revised
__________________
Andrew

Member since 2009

KCCO

Last edited by T205 GB; 09-21-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Steve D's Avatar
Steve D Steve D is offline
5t3v3...D4.w50n
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Obviously I am a bit biased about the number of auction houses out there but I think people fail to realize that more auction companies breed competition. Competition helps us all out with lower seller's fees. Do you think that if there were only 2 or 3 sports auction companies, that they would offer 0%?, -5%?.

Many of our customers use our live auction format www.morphyauctions.com , www.celebrityauthenticsauctions.com , www.goldinauctions.com runs 2 to 3 live events a year as well.

Again, I realize that I am biased but lets give things some thought before we open our mouths

I totally agree with you, that competition is good. I am all for healthy competition. There comes a point however, where the playing field becomes over-saturated.

As it is now, very few of us, if any (and certainly not me), are able to keep track of all the auctions going on. I do get the more than once per week email from auctionreport.com, but even it does not list all the auctions either soon to open, or that are currently taking bids.

It seems to me that when so many collectors are unable to keep up with the goings on, it is not good. Too much of a good thing, just like drinking too much water, is unhealthy, and can even be disastrous.

Just some examples:

- All the cards that were produced in the late 1980s - too much of a good thing

- All the card stores that opened in the late 1980s-early 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Overproduction of collector postage stamps in the 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Same thing has been said about US coins (especially commemoratives), collector plates, Star Trek action figures, Beanie Babies, and on and on and on.

I just don't want future collectors (or Heaven forbid, those of us here today) to be able to say the same thing about sports card auctions contributing to the demise of our hobby!

Steve
__________________
Successful BST deals with Leon, veloce, shammus, lharris3600, jimivintage, sb1, seablaster.

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
Obak Vernon Tigers - all years

Last edited by Steve D; 09-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-21-2017, 12:51 PM
btcarfagno btcarfagno is offline
T0m C@rf@gn0
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 3,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I totally agree with you, that competition is good. I am all for healthy competition. There comes a point however, where the playing field becomes over-saturated.

As it is now, very few of us, if any (and certainly not me), are able to keep track of all the auctions going on. I do get the more than once per week email from auctionreport.com, but even it does not list all the auctions either soon to open, or that are currently taking bids.

It seems to me that when so many collectors are unable to keep up with the goings on, it is not good. Too much of a good thing, just like drinking too much water, is unhealthy, and can even be disastrous.

Just some examples:

- All the cards that were produced in the late 1980s - too much of a good thing

- All the card stores that opened in the late 1980s-early 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Overproduction of collector postage stamps in the 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Same thing has been said about US coins (especially commemoratives), collector plates, Star Trek action figures, Beanie Babies, and on and on and on.

I just don't want future collectors (or Heaven forbid, those of us here today) to be able to say the same thing about sports card auctions contributing to the demise of our hobby!

Steve
Apples to oranges comparison.

You are equating the over production of a good to the proliferation of auction houses that do not produce goods.

I can see no scenario wherein increasing the number of outlets through which hobby items can be bought and sold would somehow contribute to the demise of the hobby.

Tom C
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-21-2017, 02:32 PM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 914
Default

I think we need to make a distinction between what we'd want as collectors and what's feasible given the laws of supply and demand. As a collector, would I want more outlets from which to buy? Sure, why not!

But if, for sake of argument, the number of AHs doubled, would the supply of quality cards to sell double? Unlikely.

So, you'd have a dilution of the quality cards available to each house, and some would simply not get enough good material to pay the bills.

As consumers/consignors, competition is great. But competition creates winners and losers, and the losers don't tend to stay in business long.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-21-2017, 02:34 PM
ullmandds's Avatar
ullmandds ullmandds is offline
pete ullman
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
I think we need to make a distinction between what we'd want as collectors and what's feasible given the laws of supply and demand. As a collector, would I want more outlets from which to buy? Sure, why not!

But if, for sake of argument, the number of AHs doubled, would the supply of quality cards to sell double? Unlikely.

So, you'd have a dilution of the quality cards available to each house, and some would simply not get enough good material to pay the bills.

As consumers/consignors, competition is great. But competition creates winners and losers, and the losers don't tend to stay in business long.
I feel like there is already dilution in that we see cards going from one auction type venue to the next...pretty regular...never spending time in a "collection!"
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VCP and auction houses smtjoy Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 30 04-09-2010 07:49 PM
Auction Houses....fun for you or not? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 22 02-25-2009 03:31 PM
Auction Houses-Going, Going..Gone? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 121 02-13-2009 01:05 PM
WOW, who needs auction houses!?! Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 23 07-30-2007 05:10 AM
Auction houses..... Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 13 05-12-2005 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


ebay GSB