NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 AM

Mike, Chris, Jon and Scott,
Thanks very much for the nice words.

Scott, I wish I was in Houston during Carlton and Ryan's assault of Walter's 3508 K record. That must have been fun. To catch Ryan's 7th no-hitter must have been unbelievable to have seen in person! As many ML baseball games that I have attended in my lifetime, I ironically have never seen a no-hitter or perfect game in person. Weird!

I'd love to hear responses from other collectors. I think this thread is a terrific idea!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

The battle between Carlton and Ryan was thrilling. I was at a game before Ryan caught Johnson - Bill Virdon left him in to get shelled, but he couldn't get the last couple of K's. Carlton and Ryan were both very strong that year - it was impossible to foresee that Carlton's career would end so much earlier. I have an Astros program from 1982 with a great Walter Johnson cover with an insert of Ryan. I would love to frame it with signatures of both.

The no-hitter was oddly not that great until the final pitch. I had been to a game with the Blue Jays where Ryan lost a no-hitter with one out in the 9th - I was on pins and needles that night. So when he actually did it, I wasn't prepared to believe it until the players rushed him on the mound. I have a picture of me and my friends in front of the outfield scoreboard, but it's so blurry that you can't read anything.

My hat's off to you - the best Ryan collector out there!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
1972 6th grade (yeah I'm old Ben) my buddies and I used to get our Dodger programs signed at the games. Always great fun to gain status based on who we got. I was the talk of the lunch room for a couple of weeks when I got Cesar Cedeno (well, until he killed a prostitute, but that's another story), and also the butt of jokes when I got Alston and Gilliam (both currently matted and framed on my wall...so take that you know-it-all 6th graders).
After that, High School and girls happened and I didn't seriously start collecting until July 31,1988 when a buddy from work talked me in to going to the mall to see a card show with Duke Snider as the guest. I noticed my buddy had a HOF book which I really liked so I ran down to the book store and found a hardback copy and had Duke sign it along with a photo and ball. That started a long road of getting HOF sigs and going to shows.
Here's the picture I got that day, and the reason I remember that date so well.
I was able to add to my childhood memories with a couple items. I love when I can add things that are "priceless" for 3 figures.

These are the original painting/ pencil art used for the numbered lithographs you see.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-15-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Great additions Ben...and nice resurrection of an old thread.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Great additions Ben...and nice resurrection of an old thread.
Thanks! I loved reading these again. Some great collectors shared their experiences. I would love to hear more.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Rob

I have been Giants fan ever since my Dad took me to a Reds/Giants game at old Crosley Field in the mid-60s. I never had one piece of memorabilia until my sister gave me a signed Will Clark “Field of Dreams” type plaque for Christmas 1992. I thought, “This is pretty cool.” I started picking up pieces from SCD and then auctions. It all traces back to the Clark plaque.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Mike

Awsome pick ups and I am glad you revived this thread Ben. The psychology of the topic interests me greatly. I collect primarily the 1971 Pirates. I grew up in the military in a family where Spanish was spoken. My mother was Mexican and her friends were all Mexican, Panamanian, Puerto Rican, Chilean, Venezuelan, and Dominican. Our home was a nexus of culture, food, and ethnicity. In1971 I was eight and realized what was occurring in my home was not necessarily happening in my friends homes. My father was blonde and blue eyed and from Pennsylvania. He was and remains a passionate Bucs fan. The 1971 Pirates reflected what was happening in my home at that time. At eight I fell in love with baseball because of that team and I learned from watching them that it was alright, if not a bit cool, to be different. As they say it is best to stay with who brought you to the dance so I have remained loyal to Roberto, Willie, Dock, Scoop, and Digger. Anyone know where I might locate a September 1, 1971 Pittsburgh Pirate ticket?

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

Last edited by 71buc; 05-15-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:03 PM
Chris Hornung

Default Link to an article I wrote on this subject last year

I had a similar moment of reflection about my collecting roots last year and wrote an article for my website about it.

http://www.antiquefootball.com/collecting_roots.htm
Old 05-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Bruce M@ttioli

You are either a collector or not. You can't fake it or shake it. You are born that way..
Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
You are either a collector or not. You can't fake it or shake it. You are born that way..
My experience would suggest otherwise.

Although, I did collect beer cans as an adolescent....