NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Default a nice email about our friendly site.....to the owner

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

I have a picture of that guy that called all of us "WINGNUTS"! I guess it takes one to know one!

Cool I GET TO BE THE 50`TH wingnut

Old 03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Looks like Phil picked the wrong week to stop sniffin glue.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

Leon was Jean Reno's character's name in The Professional. One of the toughest good guy hitmen (if that makes sense) in moviedom history. On the implied feminine side, who would mess with Leona Helmsley?

Old 03-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Man, Peter Gammons is looking rough these days huh?

Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I can't grasp the thought process of anyone that thinks that they can somehow demand that a group change itself to accommodate his goals. Who was it above that said it's like yelling at the vegetable vendor b/c you can't buy a steak? Perfect perfect analogy.

Leon - when people like this are pissed off at you, you know you gotta be doing something right! Thanks for the hard work you put into maintaining this forum, and definitely keep walking sentry on scope creep.

Joann

And ... GEEZ! What the #$@% is the deal with the writing? Is there some kind of retro eecummings revival I'm missing?? Damn.

Self portrait. From my "Contemplative Moods" series.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ivy Wingnut

Bob Wills often would call out during a tune to Texas Playboy steel guitarist Leon McAuliffe to "Take it away, Leon, take it away." The phrase was something of a household expression back in the day. Leon "Bix" Beiderbecke is a jazz age god. And so on.
To our syntax-impaired troll, Moderator Dude Leon is ex-USMC. Calling a marine a fag is probably not something you should include as part of your regular dental hygiene program.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

Isn't that Phil Spector? Isn't he is a whole lot of deep do do?

By the way,is there such thing as a species of thin pig?

Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Joann, are you sure that isn't from your whimsical and sassy series?

Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Damn, am I gonna have to fight Leon for the title of bad guy around here now? How dare this noob pass off my title to someone else. Leon needs to win from me fair and square. No taking it just because he is dictator until he quits or is assaninated

Don't feel too bad. At least you didn't get trash thrown at you like I did last night. A lady come to the drive-thru at 1230am and wanted me take her trash from her. When
I told her I could because it violated health codes, she threw it at me. When I told her not bothering paying for her food, she got really irate and wanted the manager. I explained what happened and she told her to leave. The lady then said, "Where I an going to get a hambuger at this time of night? No one else is open." Guess she should have thought about that before throw her trash at me.

Leon, keep up the good fight and we'll Indian Leg Wrestle for the title the next time we meet.

Jay

WOW upsidedown is MOM. Mom upsidedown is what dad wants to see.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Yes that is good `OL Phil from his court hearing a while back with that hair he must be going with the insanity plea!I just couldn`t resist using it here.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

Leon, the name has a description or meaning which is from the Latin, 'Lion'

Historically Famous Leons
Leo I was one of the greatest popes of the Church, being a learned theologican and an able, energetic and brave leader - for instance, he personally persuaded Attila the Hun not to invade Rome in 452, and prevented a massacre when Genseric (King of the Vandals) and his men eventually succeeded in invading Rome in 455. It was Leo's Tome which finally squashed the monophysite heresy which was becoming popular at that time (that is, that Christ's earthly self was always of a divine nature and therefore could not really suffer or die). And let us not forget:

Old 03-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Reminds me of an experience I had as an Assistant Manager of CVS when I was 19-20. This woman comes in screaming at the cashier for forgetting to scan her coupons. She is yelling at this poor girl, then starts insulting me and how little I made, etc. After holding up the line for 3-4 minutes, this man taps the woman on her shoulder and sads "Ma'am, look at yourself, you're making a complete fool of yourself". All at once, everyone in line starts laughing hysterically at the woman. The cashier, myself, everyone in line. She became quite humbled quite quick. Civility is a wonderful virtue.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Leon..keep up the great job on this board and don't let the wackos slow you down at all.
Best Regards,
Alan

Old 03-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Perhaps we should get him back into government where he belongs...

I always thought the non-hardware "wingnut" was an expression for a toddler with little hair and big ears. I've seen Leon's head; I guess it fits

Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

the Indian leg wrestling contest would verify that
if he(Leon) did participate with you.....uh, maybe
the name "Leon" is gay afterall !

On the other hand should you two do this ,I dont see a problem cause I have a few other friends that are gay as well, but.....UNLIKE THE GUY BASHING LEON......YOU
CANNOT BE BORN GAY ,CAUSE YOU ELECTED TO PASS ON MOM AND YOUR FATHER WEINED YOU !!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

One thing for sure is that Jay is not a "Wingnut", because he is the original "Dunderhead".

Lee

Old 03-27-2006, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

He must be the same guy that lists all of the reprints in the vintage card listings on ebay.
Rick

Old 03-27-2006, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Somehow I think Mr. Mint is the real issue in this squabble--are you all fighting over him? Seriously Leon you are doing a fantastic job with this forum and you are appreciated!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dennis W.

I, too, believe Leon does a great job with this board. I especially like the way he handles OT posts and errand posts concerning modern era collecting. I also beliieve this forum to be one of the most, if not the most, informative vintage baseball collecting sites. The overwhelming majority of the members are friendly, helpful and polite people.

There are, unfortunately, a few members of this forum that can be rude and arrogant. Although the message sent to Leon was ridiculous and uncalled for, the fact remains that if people's interests and possessions are insulted they take offense. A favorite "whipping boy" of this forum is the modern era card. I have an 18 year old son who collects modern cards. I enjoy taking him and his friends to local shows and such. Although he does not share my interest in vintage material, he does lurk this board from time to time out of curiosity I guess. I have cautioned him not to post. I'm afraid he'll sway OT and get blasted. See this thread for example:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1116659747/great+card+found+in+Japan

Also, do a search on "shiney crap" or "shiny crap" and see how many pages come up. I believe this terminology gives the occasional lurker or poster with a new or passive interest in pre-war collecting the impression that this board is made up of arrogant jerks. One need not insult other collecting avenues in order to collect pre-war.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Bland

well said dennis.