NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2017, 08:25 AM
C@rl P@rk

Default 1913 National Game - looking for info

Apologies if there is a definitive thread out there but I was looking for info on the WG5 issue...Doesn't seem to be a ton of info out there in terms of distribution, scarcity, popularity, etc. Seems like a lot of cards have survived in high grade and aren't particularly expensive, aside from maybe the Joe Jackson and maybe some others I'm not aware of. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I am looking at a card to purchase that feels like it should be much more expensive (due to age of issue, player involved, and condition of card) but the examples on ebay are overpriced, if VCP is any indicator. Would love an education before I buy. Thank you.

Last edited by KingFisk; 01-23-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Jay Cee

Very popular set and still affordable. Tremendous amount of HOFers are in it. Was able to pick this up at the National in Atlantic City last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2097.jpg (81.5 KB, 281 views)
Old 01-23-2017, 08:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They are found in high grade because they came as playing cards with round corners and were stored in decks, many times, for decades. Most can be found high grade for not a ton of money. Just be patient and do some more pricing research and you will make out fine. Here a few from my previous collection...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pwg5master3x.jpg (77.4 KB, 281 views)
Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM
C@rl P@rk

Thanks guys....Appreciate the info.

No sooner did I post this that the card I was thinking about buying but seemed overpriced was snapped up on eBay! Oh well. Guess I'm going to be forced to take that "patient" approach now.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Carl-

I don't have much to add to what the previous posters have said...except to say that this set along with the Polo Grounds set have long been favorites of mine as an inexpensive way of collecting Hall-of-Famers, though not all the photos are appealing. The National Game does have the Patent Date on the Back - which I find to be really cool!

I wound up deciding to resell all I had collected except five: Cobb, Wagner, Johnson, Mathewson (as one of the concentrations of my collection is the First Five) and Alexander (which, IMO, is as close to a rookie card of his as exists).

As Leon noted, it is easy to find these in better condition because they were originally produced with rounded corners.

Be Patient and Good Hunting,
Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default My National & Polo Grounds Game cards:

I have yet to purchase the National Mathewson as it is one of those aforementioned less than appealing photos and the Polo Grounds set does not include a card for Walter.

1913 National Game Grover Alexander PSA-9.jpgHONUS WAGNER 1913 National Game PSA-8.jpg
TY COBB 1913 National Game PSA-8.jpgWALTER JOHNSON 1913 NATIONAL GAME PSA-8.jpg

CHRISTY MATTHEWSON 1914 POLO GROUNDS PSA-10.jpgHONUS WAGNER 1914 Polo Grounds PSA-9.jpg
TY COBB 1914 POLO GROUNDS PSA-9.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-24-2017, 03:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I've always like the National Games. Nice looking and affordable cards of all the stars.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:42 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Here are some links to sites with information on the 1913 National Game set and it's nearly-identical cousin, the 1913 Tom Barker set.

http://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/bas...ional-game/216

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewAllSet.cfm/sid/72833

http://www.oldcardboard.com/wg/wg5/w...?cardsetID=950

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...er-game-cards/

http://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/bas...rker-game/4667

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewAllSet.cfm/sid/72717

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM
C@rl P@rk

Thanks again for the info, pics and links. Definitely hope to add the Grover Cleveland Alexander to my collection.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Differences between National Game and Tom Barker

Always a big fan of the National Game/Tom Barker sets. Some great images, affordable, and you don't have to worry about sharp corners.

There are some differences between the sets. I pulled images from the web of cards (sorry about different sizing) that are not seen in both sets. Bill Carrigan, Chief Meyers, Zach Wheat and Ivy Wingo are only seen in the Tom Barker, whereas Bill Dahlen, Larry McLean, Jake Stahl and George Stovall are only seen in the National Game set.

Hal Chase is in both sets, but each set has a different photo and team designation--in the National Game set Chase is designated as and pictured with the New York Highlanders (or Yankees), while the Tom Barker set has Chase designated as and pictured with the Chicago White Sox. This change is extra significant, especially for those hardline Rookie collectors, because it establishes that the National Game cards were produced before the Tom Barker cards, as Chase was traded to the Chicago White Sox from the Yankees on June 1st, 1913, despite the fact that both sets have a March 25, 1913 patent date printed on the back of the cards.

Which means that the National Game Grover Alexander should be considered his absolute truest rookie card (there are a few 'non-card' items that were issued earlier), as the Tom Barker must have been issued later, sometime after June 1913 to include the shot of Hal wearing the White Sox uniform.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barkercarrigan.jpg (76.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg barkermeyers.jpg (77.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg barkerwheat (438x386).jpg (30.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg barkerwingo.jpg (77.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg nationaldahlen (438x386).jpg (29.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg nationalmclean.jpg (77.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg nationalstahl.jpg (77.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg nationalstovall2.jpg (79.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg barkerchase.jpg (50.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Nationalchase.jpg (54.1 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by brianp-beme; 01-24-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice info, Brian. Thanks for sharing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Always a big fan of the National Game/Tom Barker sets. Some great images, affordable, and you don't have to worry about sharp corners.

There are some differences between the sets. I pulled images from the web of cards (sorry about different sizing) that are not seen in both sets. Bill Carrigan, Chief Meyers, Zach Wheat and Ivy Wingo are only seen in the Tom Barker, whereas Bill Dahlen, Larry McLean, Jake Stahl and George Stovall are only seen in the National Game set.

Hal Chase is in both sets, but each set has a different photo and team designation--in the National Game set Chase is designated as and pictured with the New York Highlanders (or Yankees), while the Tom Barker set has Chase designated as and pictured with the Chicago White Sox. This change is extra significant, especially for those hardline Rookie collectors, because it establishes that the National Game cards were produced before the Tom Barker cards, as Chase was traded to the Chicago White Sox from the Yankees on June 1st, 1913, despite the fact that both sets have a March 25, 1913 patent date printed on the back of the cards.

Which means that the National Game Grover Alexander should be considered his absolute truest rookie card (there are a few 'non-card' items that were issued earlier), as the Tom Barker must have been issued later, sometime after June 1913 to include the shot of Hal wearing the White Sox uniform.

Brian
Old 01-27-2017, 12:37 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Brian
Good stuff, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk