NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by unamuzd1 View Post

Short form: I crack the card out when the holder doesn't add value and/or gets in the way of my ability to appreciate the card.
Makes sense.....done the same thing on a few occasions.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Sebastian

Speaking of all this cracking does anyone have a few sgc t206 inserts around? I have about 10 displaying my Detroit set in my bookcase, i need about 5 more

Edited: Thanks Frank!

Last edited by sebie43; 06-20-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 AM
An$on

The answer's already been said, but I prefer my cards in binders with the exception of a few more expensive cards. I've stored older cards in boxes, then toploaders, and now binders and the binder 'experience' just beats everything else IMO. Cards in a binder with slipcase are protected pretty well.

It's worth noting that I'm dealing with mostly lower grade cards primarily in Poor - G/VG condition. I think the highest-graded card I've ever cracked from a slab was like a 4. Graded cards will certainly fetch more if I ever choose to sell any sets off, but the difference is pretty negligible in my opinion based on the lower grades. Plus, even then I've kept the flips for whoever may want them to prove authenticity should I choose to sell...I've got about 100 or so. The joy of being able to see/feel the cards any time I want far outweighs any small amount of return I might miss out on if I ever decide to sell them.

If I were building a set in mid-grade or high-grade condition, I would undoubtedly keep them slabbed. And as I said, I keep the more expensive cards slabbed. But overall, I don't see much difference between a raw T206 common and one that is like an SGC 20. I'll always look for a graded card when dealing with something a little more expensive but outside of that, I prefer to have them raw.
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

to oversell on ebay as "MINT"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-20-2016, 09:48 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
to oversell on ebay as "MINT"
Battlefield, is that you?
Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Josh: It would appear these pop reports are useless.

I agree with what a couple others have said "words cannot describe a T206 set in a binder" and others have spoken to the "uniformity of a collection".

I notice in your signature you are making good progress on your T206 set at 64% complete. 339 cards with 169 PSA, 88 SGC, and 82 raw.

When I put together my T206 set, one of the first things I did was purchase "The Monster" T206 reprint set on eBay (I think they sell for about $50) and insert the reprint set into some brand new 15 pocket Ultra-Pro Sheets.

Then as you obtain an original T206 card, the reprint card is replaced. It was a REALLY fun way to collect the set, and I've never regretted cracking out all those cards.

Larry
Pretty cool idea Larry!

Thanks for the kind words as well!
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 06-20-2016, 07:50 PM
J0hn Collin$

Sometimes you get a graded card where the card is beautiful (or at least what you were going for...) but whoever had it before you didn't know how to take care of their slabs or what graded card bags are. If the card arrives in the mail and has a smashed end of the slab, or the front looks like it was clawed multiple times by someone's kitty cat, then I will liberate the card. A brand new crystal clear top loader or Card Saver remains pretty cheap for a card that's going into a collection with zero investment ambitions.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 PM
J0hn Collin$

Also interesting note - did you know if the HOF gets a slabbed card as a donation, they immediately bust it out? Turns out that PSA does not meet archival preservation standards for the 21st century. Not because the slabs damage cards, but just because we don't know yet...100 year from now, will the cards that are slabbed PSA 10's remain perfect? Or will the plastic somehow decompose over a very long period of time and damage the card inside? So yes, the Hall apparently contributes to the inaccuracy of Pop reports:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...-slabbed-cards
Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 AM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Also interesting note - did you know if the HOF gets a slabbed card as a donation, they immediately bust it out? Turns out that PSA does not meet archival preservation standards for the 21st century. Not because the slabs damage cards, but just because we don't know yet...100 year from now, will the cards that are slabbed PSA 10's remain perfect? Or will the plastic somehow decompose over a very long period of time and damage the card inside? So yes, the Hall apparently contributes to the inaccuracy of Pop reports:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...-slabbed-cards
Yep, we had a lengthy thread about that story:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=223468
Old 06-21-2016, 04:41 AM
J0hn Collin$

Sorry - must've missed that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2016, 06:31 AM
Steven

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but some of us just hate slabs, TPGs and what follows with them. I grew up holding cards, smelling cards and checking them out to learn more about them. The TPGs have definitely substantially lowered the barrier of entry into the hobby as you need to know very little now in comparison and that can be a good thing. But I have also watched slabs make intelligent man act like morons with their shinny plastic. In the end, I feel if you are only looking for slabbed cards in certain grades you are giving away a ton of personal power as you are only buying what someone else's opinion is. I love breaking out cards, I break them out simply if I want to. The investment angle has become very old to listen to as well...its a hobby. I hate slabs...
Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 AM
George sacks

Default Dessau SGC 10

Just cracked out my first card,kind of gave me goose bumps
Old 06-25-2016, 07:35 AM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
battlefield, is that you?
:d
+100
Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but some of us just hate slabs, TPGs and what follows with them. I grew up holding cards, smelling cards and checking them out to learn more about them. The TPGs have definitely substantially lowered the barrier of entry into the hobby as you need to know very little now in comparison and that can be a good thing. But I have also watched slabs make intelligent man act like morons with their shinny plastic. In the end, I feel if you are only looking for slabbed cards in certain grades you are giving away a ton of personal power as you are only buying what someone else's opinion is. I love breaking out cards, I break them out simply if I want to. The investment angle has become very old to listen to as well...its a hobby. I hate slabs...
Agreed. I hate "the people who get paid for their opinions" and I crack every card that I buy.

What is the point? The point is "I can, so I do".

Doug
Old 06-25-2016, 03:17 PM
Al Richter

Default Opinions

Glad I am retired and no longer giving opinions for money, as I would hate to be on Doug's bad side

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 06-25-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:27 PM
S Gross

Everyone has good points ............. just comes down to what you like

............ as for me ............

hbhop.jpgHAMMER_0002.jpg
Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
Everyone has good points ............. just comes down to what you like

............ as for me ............

Attachment 236414Attachment 236415
Old 06-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Scott Russell

I guess cracking slabs from goofball companies doesn't count? I also crack BCCG slabs a lot because I hate the product and think disreputable people use the different system to fool naive buyers. When I do sell a BCCG 10 I point out in the listing that the system is not the same as all other grading services. I also always open Beckett Raw Card Review sleeves. I am sure they see themselves as innovative, I just see them as a company willing to do anything to make a buck.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Grant Rainsley

Personally, I hate slabs, grading, "the game" and a few other parts of our collecting hobby. I just like cards. I have been known to sell out my principles though, when trying to buy a card like a Rose RC, what with all the reprints/forgeries around.......simply because it increases the odds that the graders got it right, and I'm not getting ripped off. And I'm in a remote location, so usually have to depend on a scan, rather than inspect in person. I do bust it out of the slab as soon as I get it though.
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 06-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I guess cracking slabs from goofball companies doesn't count? I also crack BCCG slabs a lot because I hate the product and think disreputable people use the different system to fool naive buyers. When I do sell a BCCG 10 I point out in the listing that the system is not the same as all other grading services. I also always open Beckett Raw Card Review sleeves. I am sure they see themselves as innovative, I just see them as a company willing to do anything to make a buck.
BCCG aren't bad cards it's just a program with a different grading scale and made for the Home Shopping Network. The cards I have seen and have are fine. What company doesn't do what they can to make a buck? PSA is a marketing genius (apparently as millions of lemmings follow mindlessly) and their grading is no better thank Beckett or SGC. They invented the registry, half grades, resubmissions and more, all to make a buck. That is what businesses do. As far as disreputable people using the different system, I would say most read the lablel BUT non-collectors could certainly be fooled. I don't like the program of BCCG as it's confusing but the cards in the holders that I have seen look ok....Happy collecting

ps...I generally don't crack cards but have on many occasions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topps66palmerx2bccgpsa.jpg (77.0 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:28 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

It's a hobby to me - always has been, always will be. I understand the need for grading, but I collect cards, not hard plastic slabs graded by monkeys.

Plus, I don't know - somehow they just seem happier when they're free...

Old 06-27-2016, 06:54 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I would say most read the lablel BUT non-collectors could certainly be fooled. I don't like the program of BCCG as it's confusing but the cards in the holders that I have seen look ok
wasn't a knock on the cards themselves. just the system. I can pretty much get behind everything you say above.

However I have seen some BCCG 10's where I wonder how the card inside is supposed to be Mint or better, but that's no different than wondering about a grade in any company's slab.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:14 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
It's a hobby to me - always has been, always will be. I understand the need for grading, but I collect cards, not hard plastic slabs graded by monkeys.

Plus, I don't know - somehow they just seem happier when they're free...

These pics definitely made me laugh. Good stuff.

Ed
Old 06-27-2016, 07:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
wasn't a knock on the cards themselves. just the system. I can pretty much get behind everything you say above.

However I have seen some BCCG 10's where I wonder how the card inside is supposed to be Mint or better, but that's no different than wondering about a grade in any company's slab.
Yeap, We can all find cards from ALL tpg's that we scratch our collective heads on. BCCG is no different in that respect. Heck, I would like to find some nice cards in BCCG holders as I am very confident they are good and they will sell for less than with a different companies flip.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Jason Albregts

I just freed 12 Goudeys from their tombs yesterday. Liberating.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yeap, We can all find cards from ALL tpg's that we scratch our collective heads on. BCCG is no different in that respect. Heck, I would like to find some nice cards in BCCG holders as I am very confident they are good and they will sell for less than with a different companies flip.

I also trust that cards in BCCG holders are good (regardless of the grade). I find that cards in BCCG holders sell for about the same as raw cards in similar conditions. As a result, I look for BCCG cards then crack them. By doing this, I basically get free authentication since they have gone through Beckett.

Ed