NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default PCCE -- I'm so frustrated

Posted By: Rich Klein

I had been toying with the idea of attending that convention. The convention sure sounded like fun, with seminars like there had not been at the National since 1991, etc.

However, the darn conference is the same weekend that Passover begins and I would not live long with my wife if I explained I was going to that event.

Wish I could go, and I'm just bummed.

Regards
Rich

Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Rich - I didn't know you were Jewish

Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Alan,
You mean you have not seen Jim Manos hocking old becketts that Rich was involved with as "Jewish published"? I am shocked!

Joshua
(also of the chosen)

Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Rich's middle name is 'Mort' - he must be Jewish.

My in-laws are visiting for Passover/Pesach so I too will be otherwise occupied. I'm sure those who are there will give us a report.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

I am amazed that this matter wasn't taken into consideration when this show was planned. There are so many Jewish collectors and dealers that it strikes me as rather irresponsible. This lack of attention to detail will definitely be a detriment to the show's revenue. What a shame.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Ernst

And they scheduled on a weekend which includes Sunday? Shocking that they would be so insensitive to a great number of Christians who choose that day to worship! And then there are the 7th day adventists. How dare they schedule across their special day?

(edited for typo)

Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I'm not looking 4 trouble here...but...you can't realistically compare an ordinary sunday to passover...maybe compare sabbath to sunday?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Passover is a little more serious than that, I think. Something tells me the problem would have been noticed and averted if the show was scheduled close to Easter.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Lines of the day (so far):

"You mean you have not seen Jim Manos hocking old becketts that Rich was involved with as "Jewish published"?"

"Rich's middle name is 'Mort' - he must be Jewish."

Old 03-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
Technically, the Sabbath is considered the holiest day of the year in the Jewish religion (more holy than Rosh Ha Shanna, Passover, or even Yom Kippur!). However, Passover is considered a very major Jewish holiday, and a lot of families get together for a traditional seder with their extended families. I too am surprised that this holiday was not taken into account when planning this show.
Former Hebrew School Teacher,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Mike it's more like Easter Sunday or Christmas than a typical Sunday.

For many people the family element is what would preclude them from attending. It is typical for people to have large family visits planned for this holiday. As far as the ritual meal itself (there are two), the Seder, they happen to fall on the weekend this yeaer.

Oh, well, there's always the National...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Religion and baseball card chatboards don't mix.

It's like church and state- keep them separate.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Alan, I believe that Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the year, followed by Sabbath. In any event missing a Seder would not go over well.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: michael

On the pcce web site they show the convention hours of :

April 17, 2008 : 3 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
April 18, 2008 : 11 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
April 19, 2008 : 10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
April 20, 2008 : 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Since Passover doesn't start until 7:30 pm on April 19th this does give those that observe/celebrate Passover plenty of days to attend.

I celebrate Passover and will be going to the convention. And even a couple of friends from out of town (also Jewish) are coming in for the convention. We will be there Thursday night, Friday , and Saturday.

The nice part is that my out of town friends are taking early afternoon flights back home on Saturday so they will still have plenty of time enjoy the convention and be back in time to be with family.

And for any the local collectors that celebrate Passover, the nice part is that the convention closes at 5:00 PM on saturday ...plenty of time to get home to their family too.

I am looking forward to the PCCE .

Old 03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Not to be disagreeable; but I think Adam has it correct. Especially with the continuing problems in air traffic; cutting anything close (which means same day leaving nowadays) -- is not always going to get you on the good side of a family whom is expecting you for an event.

Yes, if you live in driving distance and are not hosting; it is not an real issue about the PCCE for Saturday -- but if you are either hosting a Seder or going a distance; it is an issue. Especially since I would presume the learning events of the hobby will be done all during the convention.

It IS frustrating; for I was looking foward to going until I saw the date issue.

I'm glad you are able to go -- but my feelings are much like the esteemed Boxing Lawyer from California, who will be waiting for the National. And I also agree with Jodi who realizes that this has a shot of hurting the attendence.

Regards
Rich