NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-01-2024, 01:00 PM

Default Cutting Up Valuable Autographs

So for about 10 years now, I've been creating custom cards for both my and other people's collections, while showing them here. I've had a blast doing it, but 2023 is the year I focused on it more than any year prior.

I've done TONS of cards from modern, all sports, non sports, etc. but here are some of the older baseball pieces.

I wanted to show a handful of pieces that I created throughout this past year. I've done a ton more, but these cover a wide array of various designs I created, etc.

Happy New Years, fellas! I hope 2024 brings you a lot of great cardboard into your collections!

Old 01-01-2024, 01:53 PM
Scott Russell

My advice would be "Be Careful" You are potentially infringing on trademarks, using team logos without authorization, and since you are doing so presumably for profit, you are taking a risk. That being said they are incredibly well done pieces!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-01-2024, 01:57 PM

Beautiful work Tanner!
Old 01-01-2024, 02:02 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Really well done but not a huge fan of cutting apart jerseys, bats and, most remarkably, what must have been a real sweet Jackie Autographed ball. Ouch.
Old 01-01-2024, 03:09 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Really well done but not a huge fan of cutting apart jerseys, bats and, most remarkably, what must have been a real sweet Jackie Autographed ball. Ouch.
I agree with that, for sure.

That said, the work you've done is fantastic. After I saw what you did with the A35 album, I was wondering what else you'd come up with.

Just curious, what does the back of the Tinkers-Evers-Chance piece look like? An assumption is that the backs of the cards are visible.

Are you a graphics artist? Or is this just a hobby that you tinker with? Do you have a website that we can look at that shows what you've made so far? I'd be more than happy to look at the work.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 01-01-2024, 03:16 PM

Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I agree with that, for sure.

That said, the work you've done is fantastic. After I saw what you did with the A35 album, I was wondering what else you'd come up with.

Just curious, what does the back of the Tinkers-Evers-Chance piece look like? An assumption is that the backs of the cards are visible.

Are you a graphics artist? Or is this just a hobby that you tinker with? Do you have a website that we can look at that shows what you've made so far? I'd be more than happy to look at the work.

Thank you for sharing!

Yes, the cutting up part is a polarizing part of doing these. Most of the time, I utilize pieces that, as full pieces, are not the greatest ... (I did a jumbo dual auto of Jordan and Brady, and the sigs didn't look great, but displayed well with my art.)

Regardless, people send me stuff, be it a ball, jersey, etc. that they don't like all that much, and would prefer a card instead - that is kind of my wheelhouse! For relics, I typically will use donor cards - for example, the Jackie, I used a couple licensed game used cards to harvest the pieces.

As for the Tinker/Evers/Chance ... gahhh, I've been wanting to do one forever! Here is a quick video - the video tells a much better story of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ESss0kskA

You can see a lot of my work at www.instagram.com/tanmanbaseballfan - I'm commissioned all the time
Old 01-01-2024, 04:41 PM
Eric

Really cool looking cards. Nicely done.
1926 Star Player Candy Chick Hafey
1880-1930s Detroit Tigers
Travis Jackson 1925 W461 Exhibits or 1923 V89 William Paterson
Old 01-01-2024, 05:30 PM
Ben North

Amazing work as always. Thanks for posting pics of your work.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:01 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Thank you everyone!

Yes, the cutting up part is a polarizing part of doing these. Most of the time, I utilize pieces that, as full pieces, are not the greatest ... (I did a jumbo dual auto of Jordan and Brady, and the sigs didn't look great, but displayed well with my art.)

Regardless, people send me stuff, be it a ball, jersey, etc. that they don't like all that much, and would prefer a card instead - that is kind of my wheelhouse! For relics, I typically will use donor cards - for example, the Jackie, I used a couple licensed game used cards to harvest the pieces.

As for the Tinker/Evers/Chance ... gahhh, I've been wanting to do one forever! Here is a quick video - the video tells a much better story of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ESss0kskA

You can see a lot of my work at www.instagram.com/tanmanbaseballfan - I'm commissioned all the time
Good work Tanner, you've done those pieces justice, The knuckleheads at Topps or whoever is grinding out those less than pieces should hire you.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-01-2024, 07:04 PM
Matt G

Very cool,

I think the Tinker Evers Chance is my favorite, as you didn’t mess with any of the cards, just incorporated them into a larger one.

Keep up the great work Tanner!

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 01-01-2024, 07:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Definitely great stuff. You are an artiste!!!

Like many others, I can have a problem with relics being destroyed, but also realize that instead of a fine line, it can be more of a thick line.

First off, people are free to do whatever they please with their possessions, so there's that. But also, it's not like every single autograph is on some truly significant document, so I don't see a lot of harm there (of course, what signifies a 'significant document' probably varies wildly among people), unless shown otherwise, so your work really enhances the autos and gives them a more enjoyable life, so to speak.

Also, unless we've seen the original piece the autograph was on, we have no idea what made it a ready (and proper?) candidate to be sliced and diced. I would have to imagine (with exceptions, duh!!) that the very vast majority of them come from more 'throwaway' items and such. (Stepping off of my soap box now.)

Again, very impressive creations!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:37 PM
Paul

Tanner does truly great work — hobby magic really. I truly believe custom cards are the future of card collecting. And I love the way pairing an autograph or relic of a player with his baseball card — especially a T206 card — has the propensity to bring that player back to life in a way the card standing alone doesn’t achieve.

I commissioned Tanner to make this epic Harry Pattee booklet card, including his authentic autograph. I found an old Spalding Guide image of Pattee, and Tanner was able to incorporate it into this card, which pairs with his T206 a vivid image of Pattee’s profile — not unlike a 1983 or 1984 Topps card, carrying an action shot with a portrait.

In the late 1960s, Don “Barefoot” Post sent this T206 card, glued to a 4x6 index card, for Zach Wheat to sign. Which T206 collector today would volunteer his T206 card for gluing the tobacco advert on the back to a 4x6? But, thank the hobby gods he did. A T206 card alone will never reach the vibrancy of the combined efforts of Barefoot and Wheat.

To me it shouldn’t and doesn’t matter whether the paper or baseball holding the autograph are cut, provided the signature is preserved as fully as possible, and the act of cutting alone doesn’t destroy a unique historical record. The point of collecting is to enjoy the items while we have them and then pass them on — as enjoyed — to a future collector. As long as there is one future collector willing to carry the torch forward is the only thing that should matter.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 01-01-2024 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:50 PM
Tim Odeen

Tanner, great work! I wish you consulted with Topps about aesthetics.

I talked to Tanner about making a Frank Robinson piece. He recommended I find relic pieces already cut up, and a 3x5 index auto. I thought he offered great advice. I'm still looking for the right pieces.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 01-01-2024 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:34 AM
qualitycards

Tanner Incredible job, a card company should hire you
Old 01-02-2024, 07:47 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Definitely great stuff. You are an artiste!!!

Like many others, I can have a problem with relics being destroyed, but also realize that instead of a fine line, it can be more of a thick line.

First off, people are free to do whatever they please with their possessions, so there's that. But also, it's not like every single autograph is on some truly significant document, so I don't see a lot of harm there (of course, what signifies a 'significant document' probably varies wildly among people), unless shown otherwise, so your work really enhances the autos and gives them a more enjoyable life, so to speak.

Also, unless we've seen the original piece the autograph was on, we have no idea what made it a ready (and proper?) candidate to be sliced and diced. I would have to imagine (with exceptions, duh!!) that the very vast majority of them come from more 'throwaway' items and such. (Stepping off of my soap box now.)

Again, very impressive creations!!!
One Hundred Percent. I am truly amazed at how some people criticize decisions made by others on what they own.

Great job Tanner.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:55 AM

Thank you all very much for the kind words - it makes my day, truly! And Paul, thank you very much for posting that - I really enjoyed putting together some for you

So, I figured maybe I should post some others. Here is one of my latest! It is a Rickey Henderson jumbo (and I mean MASSIVE) 3 panel booklet featuring 9 patches - the patches are not game-worn, but rather commemorative to celebrate all the teams he played for.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:49 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Tanner does truly great work — hobby magic really. I truly believe custom cards are the future of card collecting. And I love the way pairing an autograph or relic of a player with his baseball card — especially a T206 card — has the propensity to bring that player back to life in a way the card standing alone doesn’t achieve.

I commissioned Tanner to make this epic Harry Pattee booklet card, including his authentic autograph. I found an old Spalding Guide image of Pattee, and Tanner was able to incorporate it into this card, which pairs with his T206 a vivid image of Pattee’s profile — not unlike a 1983 or 1984 Topps card, carrying an action shot with a portrait.

In the late 1960s, Don “Barefoot” Post sent this T206 card, glued to a 4x6 index card, for Zach Wheat to sign. Which T206 collector today would volunteer his T206 card for gluing the tobacco advert on the back to a 4x6? But, thank the hobby gods he did. A T206 card alone will never reach the vibrancy of the combined efforts of Barefoot and Wheat.

To me it shouldn’t and doesn’t matter whether the paper or baseball holding the autograph are cut, provided the signature is preserved as fully as possible, and the act of cutting alone doesn’t destroy a unique historical record. The point of collecting is to enjoy the items while we have them and then pass them on — as enjoyed — to a future collector. As long as there is one future collector willing to carry the torch forward is the only thing that should matter.
And Zach's RC to add flavor to his autograph.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:02 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

That Rickey is amazing and educational, Did not realize he had played for all those teams. NICE!
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 01-02-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
That Rickey is amazing and educational, Did not realize he had played for all those teams. NICE!
Thanks! What's crazy is that some teams he went back multiple times - I think he was a member of the A's 3-4 times.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Late to the thread but that is some great artistry, Tanner. Good luck!!

That last Pattee display card is really nice looking...
Old 01-07-2024, 06:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great stuff Tanner! In most instances, the aesthetics of your cards puts Topps to shame.

That said... If they ever make a movie about George Wright, I'd think Michael Richards would be a shoe-in for the role.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 01-08-2024, 07:49 AM

Thank you very much Leon and Mark!