NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2023, 03:33 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default The eBay - PSA Authentication Mandate 2.0

Have read so many takes, opinions, etc., regarding the eBay PSA mandatory authentication process for "expensive" slabs auctioned on eBay.

My take is this entire process should not be mandatory.

Shouldn't it be at the option of the buyer? Is that not just common sense?

Who agrees? Who disagrees?
Old 12-18-2023, 03:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

If you do a site search for "authentication," you should fine quite a number of threads covering the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:48 PM
Ben North

I absolutely love both the raw card and graded card programs. It is one of the best things eBay has done.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:39 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If the buyer takes the option to bypass eBay Authentication, and then the seller mails them a graded 1988 Topps Kevin Seitzer. Buyer is not allowed to return since they chose to not use eBay authentication. Still believe it should be optional?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
If the buyer takes the option to bypass eBay Authentication, and then the seller mails them a graded 1988 Topps Kevin Seitzer. Buyer is not allowed to return since they chose to not use eBay authentication. Still believe it should be optional?
Yes.

I have never, in 20 years, had a seller send a cheap random card instead of the card actually ordered.

I have, in fact, had the program nix a deal without my input or the sellers input that we mutually made and consented to together.

Many of us do not need a 4th party involved to tell us what deals we may or may not consent to.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:54 PM
Ken McMillan

Personally, I think it gives USPS more chances to lose a card than what it is worth. I do not see eBay paying additional postage and requesting signiatures to guarantee delivery.
Old 12-18-2023, 06:46 PM
Mike Henry

My problem with eBay's Authenticity Guarantee is that they're not consistent.

Experience #1: Purchased a raw card. The authenticator said the condition was not as described due to added surface wax and possible alterations. Ebay asked if I wanted to proceed with the transaction or request a refund.

This is how it should work.

Experience #2: Sold a PSA-graded card. I received a status update on my seller account indicating that the card was authenticated and shipped to the buyer. Meanwhile, the buyer received an e-mail indicating that it had not passed authentication because it was "miscategorized." eBay sent the card anyway, without offering the buyer the option to cancel.

The buyer complained to me, and I offered a full refund. The buyer said he wanted to keep the card, but he would still prefer that it be authenticated. After some back and forth, eBay support determined that the card was properly categorized and the authenticator had screwed up. The buyer complained about losing out on the "Authenticity Guarantee," and eBay refunded him 50% of the purchase price out of its own "discretionary" funds (about $700).

Experience #3: Sold a PSA-graded uncut strip card. It didn't pass authentication and was flagged as miscategorized: not a "Sports Trading Card." eBay support speculated that the authenticator treated it as a "lot," even though it was a single strip with multiple players. Despite refusing to authenticate it, the authenticator sent it off to the buyer.

The buyer was very confused by the whole process and asked me to explain why the card couldn't be guaranteed authentic. eBay support explained that their internal systems showed that the card receive a "passed with exception" designation, which means that it was authentic but eBay wouldn't stand behind the guarantee because it didn't fall under an eligibility category.

Of course, that explanation doesn't appear anywhere in the e-mails eBay sends out. Their autogenerated e-mail simply says: "Your item’s on the way, but can't be authenticated."

During my last go-round with eBay support, they confirmed that some people have complained about not being able to complete transactions, while others have complained that they're forced to go through with transactions that are advertised with the Authenticity Guarantee but are later deemed ineligible. They called it a "balancing act," but acknowledged that there was no clear policy for when a transaction would be canceled and when they would send the failed item along to the buyer.

Either their internal processes are a black box that they're trying to shield from the public, or they're just making it up as they go along.
Old 12-18-2023, 08:31 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Yes.

I have never, in 20 years, had a seller send a cheap random card instead of the card actually ordered.

I have, in fact, had the program nix a deal without my input or the sellers input that we mutually made and consented to together.

Many of us do not need a 4th party involved to tell us what deals we may or may not consent to.
A very few of us do not need the benefits of the program. Most people on here, however, are not one of those few.

From ebay's point of view, it would cost them more to manage an opt out process for all the dingalings who think they want to opt out but don't understand the risks and consequences of doing so.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2023, 09:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I agree that the Buyer should have the right of refusal. The extra shipping point creates delays and increases the odds of damage/theft. For those who like it, great! For those who don't want it, why not offer a "decline" option?

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 12-18-2023, 09:50 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
A very few of us do not need the benefits of the program. Most people on here, however, are not one of those few.

From ebay's point of view, it would cost them more to manage an opt out process for all the dingalings who think they want to opt out but don't understand the risks and consequences of doing so.

The dingalings (are we 5? really?) who are fully capable of knowing what they are looking at are fully cognizant of the grave risks and very severe consequences. Seems like quite a few are able to buy cards without a fourth party involved to tell them they can buy X card as we have what seems to be a fair divide between the dingalings who don't like the program and the dingalings who do.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:13 PM
Fred

Quote:
Yes.

If ebay says no to the transaction, then wouldn't that indicate that ebay is telling the seller that the item in question cannot be sold on ebay? If that's the case, then why not strike a deal outside of ebay? At that point, why would ebay care if the buyer and seller struck a deal outside ebay.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
If ebay says no to the transaction, then wouldn't that indicate that ebay is telling the seller that the item in question cannot be sold on ebay? If that's the case, then why not strike a deal outside of ebay? At that point, why would ebay care if the buyer and seller struck a deal outside ebay.
That's what I did, thankfully the seller was a reasonable guy. Unclear if it violated eBay rules to cut them out and keep their share.
Old 12-19-2023, 04:16 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Ebay

I believe that This authentication process will only be free for a limited time.
They are trying out this process at no charge for now, but someone will be paying for this down the road.

John P
Old 12-19-2023, 05:40 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default USPS Priority Insurance v/s USPS Registered Mail

Recently sold a card --shipping insured to authenticator USPS Fees comparison

Priority with insurance==$92.00

Registered with insurance==29.00

Why the difference per the PO employees--Registered is much safer hence the less insurance fee!

It takes a little longer to reach the authenticator but being safer and the price difference is a common sense no brainer.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:49 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP0621 View Post
I believe that This authentication process will only be free for a limited time.
They are trying out this process at no charge for now, but someone will be paying for this down the road.

John P
People have been saying this since they started the authentication process. Looking back through emails, it started in March 2022 so it seems like they're not in a hurry to charge for it.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
People have been saying this since they started the authentication process. Looking back through emails, it started in March 2022 so it seems like they're not in a hurry to charge for it.
It starting with sneakers first and has been an awesome feature since October 2020. For those that don't know buying sneakers can be as sketchy as buying an autograph from Coaches Corner.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:14 AM
Sonny Smith

Quote:
Yep, I don't think eBay would ever charge a blanket fee for the program - the benefits of the program far outweigh the costs for them. The number of fraudulent transactions and unwarranted returns happening was costing eBay way more in time handling those cases, refunds they sometimes had to issue out of pocket, and lost transaction fees.

The only fee they might start to charge would be some sort of "transaction fee" to sellers who sell items that are either mis-categorized or mis-described and fail the authenticity program. There would never be a fee for the buyer.

As a seller and a buyer, I am 100% for the AG program. Having sent over 100 cards to the program as a seller, the process typically only adds 2 to 4 days to the transaction. It is usually a pretty straight-forward process when the seller does things correct on their end. Will the AG program make mistakes - definitely - it is a human controlled process. But, is it stopping fraud and false claims from both sellers and buyers - definitely.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:44 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
It starting with sneakers first and has been an awesome feature since October 2020. For those that don't know buying sneakers can be as sketchy as buying an autograph from Coaches Corner.
Is there any charge to the buyer or seller for authenticating sneakers?
Old 12-19-2023, 07:53 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Is there any charge to the buyer or seller for authenticating sneakers?
No and never has been. Since they started it I have no problems buying off eBay again. Before that I have been sent fake Nike sneakers on eBay. I actually wear them or I would have never caught the last pair of fakes I got. They were a special Nike Chinese New Years Edition. Even in hand they looked good. Then I put them on and took a couple steps and instantly knew they were fake. Seller refunded me. Since the authentication started I have seen way less fakes on eBay.
Old 12-19-2023, 08:53 AM
Al Stein

Quote:

John P
I believe you are 100% wrong. How often do we need to have this same conversation.

Last edited by Gorditadogg; 12-19-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:13 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I believe you are 100% wrong. How often do we need to have this same conversation.
For as long as it takes!

That’s the beauty of a chat board. We can all argue about piffle until we are blue in the face, and it never gets old.

As long as eBay continues to offer it for free, then people will continue to worry that eventually they will charge for it.

I’m not sure I have a strong opinion either way. I see arguments on both sides. And with eBay, you never know what they’re thinking. So anything is possible.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 12-19-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:56 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default ebay

Quote:
You dont need to participate in the conversation.
No one asked for you to join in.
Read any Ebay Listing that has this Authentication process.
It reads "Free for a limited time".
So before you get on your High Horse and claim that I am 100% wrong you should read the fine print on the Ebay listings like I did.

John P
Old 12-19-2023, 12:38 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default All I know is.....

I paid for a '59 Big Daddy Lipscomb in PSA 9 on 12-4. 4SC sends it off to PSA on 12-11. PSA still has my card and tracking sez I will get it 12-23. 19 days to rec one card I paid a lot of $$$ for is unacceptable. F eBay and this program. There is NO downside to giving buyers the option to send it off to PSA for DOUBLE their verification/authentication. All of the comments on this thread that say they love it can still use it if the buyer has the option. No downside for anyone. What happened to common sense?
Old 12-19-2023, 01:24 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
You dont need to participate in the conversation.
No one asked for you to join in.
Read any Ebay Listing that has this Authentication process.
It reads "Free for a limited time".
So before you get on your High Horse and claim that I am 100% wrong you should read the fine print on the Ebay listings like I did.

John P
Haha, right. Like you are the first person on this site to do that.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:33 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
For as long as it takes!

That’s the beauty of a chat board. We can all argue about piffle until we are blue in the face, and it never gets old.

As long as eBay continues to offer it for free, then people will continue to worry that eventually they will charge for it.

I’m not sure I have a strong opinion either way. I see arguments on both sides. And with eBay, you never know what they’re thinking. So anything is possible.
Yes, we've had good conversations on this before over the last two years, and there are plenty of members who still have new insights to share.

It's pretty easy to know what Ebay was thinking when they started this program, and easy to see it has been successful for them so far. They had a big problem with fraud on both the buyer and seller side that they needed to fix. It was costing them a lot of money in settlement expenses on disputed transactions, and also they were losing peoples' trust in their platform.

Ebay is most certainly aware that people don't like paying 15% transaction fees plus sales taxes. They are not thinking about ways to increase those fees.

I apologize to all of you who have heard all this before from me.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Maybe can discuss SGC vs. PSA, or where the market is going?
Favorite T206 colors?
Undervalued cards?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-19-2023, 03:26 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Favorite T206 colors?
Undervalued cards?
Seems like we're due for another discussion about favorite musicians!

1963 Post complete panel
Old 12-19-2023, 03:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

SGC Vs. PSA: PSA, case is marginally easier to crack open.

Where the market is going?: Inexorably upwards, forever and always. Stack your cards until it gets sky high.

Favorite T206 color: McIntyre Pink.

Undervalued Cards: All the ones I manage to win, evidently. Cards depicting anyone not a baseball player.

Favorite musicians: Today, David Ruffin.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:37 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Yes.

Consider yourself lucky. I purchased a "lot" that included the Gretzky RC graded by KSA . Well I received the "lot" but no Gretzky and no recourse. Been around 20 years ago. Doesn't happen often , but does happen. I for one, have no issue with the newish program.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 12-19-2023, 05:53 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
Consider yourself lucky. I purchased a "lot" that included the Gretzky RC graded by KSA . Well I received the "lot" but no Gretzky and no recourse. Been around 20 years ago. Doesn't happen often , but does happen. I for one, have no issue with the newish program.
The authentication program wouldn't have helped you in the case you described since it only covers individual card listings not lots.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:03 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I'm sure it has happened to some one at some time and have not and would not postulate it has not. I am unclear how this program would have impacted your situation at all. I do recall recourse and an extreme buyer-friendly policy from eBay before this program.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Favorite T206 colors?
Undervalued cards?
Do I owe taxes if I didn’t get a 1099? Just wondering.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Do I owe taxes if I didn’t get a 1099? Just wondering.
Which auction house should I consign to, or should I sell the cards myself?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am all for it, frankly.

As a buyer, I've come around to it because of some things I've seen. A friend of mine nearly got burned at a show with a fake 1963 Rose in a PSA holder. He bought it on faith in PSA across our table and when I got a good look at it and pulled out the loupe and microscope, it was clear that the seller was printing fake cards and flips and using resealed PSA holders to sell them. Since it was in person, my friend tracked down the seller to ask for his money back 'politely' and got paid, but on eBay he would have been screwed--unless the card went through authentication.

As a seller, I appreciate the rules that (1) make me not responsible for shipping snafus as long as the card got to the authenticator OK and (2) cut off returns once the card is authenticated.

There is a lot of bad stuff out there, whether it is concealed condition flaws, fake slabs, or fake cards. Hell, I bought a $200 fake last month and had to fight to get a refund, which I did ultimately via an eBay case that took over a month to complete. If the card had gone for authentication, it would have been caught immediately. As long as there isn't a cost to it (if they charge for it, definitely want the opt-out right), the program is a form of insurance against the most blatant frauds. It will have flubs but it will catch some bad stuff too, even if it takes an extra week or two for the card to get to me, which I don't think is a big deal. I'm not four years old; I won't pitch a hissy fit if I don't get my GI Joe with the kung fu grip right away, but I will if I open my package and the damn thing is broken.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-20-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:42 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
I paid for a '59 Big Daddy Lipscomb in PSA 9 on 12-4. 4SC sends it off to PSA on 12-11. PSA still has my card and tracking sez I will get it 12-23. 19 days to rec one card I paid a lot of $$$ for is unacceptable. F eBay and this program. There is NO downside to giving buyers the option to send it off to PSA for DOUBLE their verification/authentication. All of the comments on this thread that say they love it can still use it if the buyer has the option. No downside for anyone. What happened to common sense?
It took the seller 7 days to send it to PSA? Shouldn’t that be who you are annoyed with?

If you can’t see the downsides of opting out of the program, you obviously haven’t sold enough online or dealt with the general public in a retail setting before. I can think of multiple ways sellers and buyers would create headaches for eBay. Headaches that are, for the most part, avoided because this program exists.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:12 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Which auction house should I consign to, or should I sell the cards myself?
Should I leave cookies and milk for Santa this year? The old rascal didn't even touch them last year.
Old 12-20-2023, 01:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Should I leave cookies and milk for Santa this year? The old rascal didn't even touch them last year.
Always leave Santa cookies and milk.

International sales also go through authentication. Had an idiot return something today.

Will give ending first. Buyer asked for a return. eBay sent me a message saying the buyer was returning the item. They said they would return the buyers money and I would not receive the item back.

Now what happened. I sold an item for $250 and after they hit the BIN the questions started. I had this feeling I should cancel the transaction. Luckily it turned out OK as it sold and I got the money.

On a sale yesterday I noticed how bad eBay screws its foreign customers on shipping. I sold the item for $36 with free shipping, eBay is then adding on $26 shipping. OUCH
Old 12-20-2023, 09:38 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
The authentication program wouldn't have helped you in the case you described since it only covers individual card listings not lots.
Did not realize the Lot thing. But could have just as easily been a single card the was replaced or not sent at all I suppose.
Again, I have no problem with the program. I am concerned about the potential cost though.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 12-21-2023, 07:05 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Did not realize the Lot thing. But could have just as easily been a single card the was replaced or not sent at all I suppose.
Again, I have no problem with the program. I am concerned about the potential cost though.
It also doesn’t apply if the card is not listed under Sports Trading Cards. Here’s a thread where one of the Members here got snookered into buying fake N29 Tobacco Cards. Even though the Member paid $260, the card bypassd AG because the seller sold it under Tobaccociana.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344149

Last edited by EddieP; 12-21-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2024, 01:21 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

HELP???
I am new to this Ebay Authenication???
I am getting a bunch of questions, about shipping to CANADA???
So far, i am only seeing only within the U.S. , Is this Correct????
Old 01-04-2024, 01:51 PM
Ben North

Buying and selling internationally on eBay is a serious PIA most of the time. I know this sucks for our great neighbors up north but I wouldn't send anything that didn't go through eBays international shipping program.

In my personal recent experience selling internationally is a PIA most of the time. The big plus is when the buyer wants a return seconds after tracking shows delivered is eBay takes care of the entire process. They refund the money to the buyer and you never get the item back. eBay does not release any details more than that.

I purchased a high end watch from the UK that had the authenticity guarantee. That was until I actually hit the BIN. Then it changed to no authenticity program and NO retuens.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:33 PM
Fred

What is an average turn-around time? If I bought something on ebay on the first of January, when could I expect to have the card in my hands (after all the passing it around between authenticators at ebay)?

What is the criteria again? Is it any card more than $250?
Old 01-04-2024, 03:38 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
What is an average turn-around time? If I bought something on ebay on the first of January, when could I expect to have the card in my hands (after all the passing it around between authenticators at ebay)?

What is the criteria again? Is it any card more than $250?
My experience is that you're probably looking at 1-2 weeks once it's shipped from the seller.

It is for individual cards that sell for more than $250. But there are a whole host of exceptions and nonsense that can kick a card out, including whether it's listed in the right category on eBay, and whether it includes silly words like "pack". For example, I had a 1954 All-Star Photo Pack piece that couldn't go through the AG program because the listing included the word "pack", even though "pack" was part of the name of the piece.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 01-04-2024, 05:01 PM

My most recent purchase that went through the program was purchase on Dec 18th, delivered Jan 2nd. With two holidays in there, that's probably not awful.

The annoying part is that after I purchased and got the shipping confirmation, I realized the seller was probably 20 minutes from me. Whoops!