NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
I'm certainly not a tax expert (I pay my CPA to be), but couldn't there be some value in a cheap purchase and donation for write-off purposes? I.e., collection has FMV of $10k, although difficult and time consuming to move. The collection is purchased for $100 and then donated to a series of thift store, charity auctions, fund raisers, etc?
If the collection is purchased for $100, then it has a FMV of $100. You just spent $100 to save $30 on your taxes.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
If the collection is purchased for $100, then it has a FMV of $100. You just spent $100 to save $30 on your taxes.
Again, I may be wrong but I didn't think determining FMV for taxing purposes is so cut and dry. For example, if I walk into a flea market and purchase a 52 Topps Mantle for 25 cents, and subsequently decide to donate it to charity, am I only able to write 25 cents off my taxes, or am I able to write off the FMV (a price someone is willing to pay for the item) - let's say $10k? In other words, I didn't think FMV had to take into consideration a "bargain" purchase price.

Oh well either way.

Last edited by canjond; 07-25-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Again, I may be wrong but I didn't think determining FMV for taxing purposes is so cut and dry. For example, if I walk into a flea market and purchase a 52 Topps Mantle for 25 cents, and subsequently decide to donate it to charity, am I only able to write 25 cents off my taxes, or am I able to write off the FMV (a price someone is willing to pay for the item) - let's say $10k? In other words, I didn't think FMV had to take into consideration a "bargain" purchase price.

Oh well either way.
I'm fairly certain you are able to write off such an item at current FMV. I have donated a car to charity in the past. The charity employs an impartial assessor to ascertain FMV and then mails you a tax-deductible receipt for the FMV amount according to the assessor's findings. Perhaps the answer lies within finding the opinion of a recognized/approved appraiser.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
I'm fairly certain you are able to write off such an item at current FMV. I have donated a car to charity in the past. The charity employs an impartial assessor to ascertain FMV and then mails you a tax-deductible receipt for the FMV amount according to the assessor's findings. Perhaps the answer lies within finding the opinion of a recognized/approved appraiser.
Jodi

In Canada, there are a number of rules that deal with donations, including a three year rule look-back rule restricting donations to the purchaser's cost, rather than fair market value. These amendments were put into place to prevent what the fisc considered inappropriate donation schemes whereby a taxpayer profited through a donation after taking into account the tax credit. Donations aren't always a simple thing when the donation isn't cash.

Max
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBirkholm View Post
Legally, you're not supposed to make a "profit" off of charitable donations. Realistically, I don't think you're going to get a huge argument if you're not being a pig about it.

Being in the auto business, I occasionally donate or facilitate donations of worn out cars. Getting a $500 tax donation for a car that sells for $200-300 when it's auctioned is not going to raise eyebrows - and most people have basis in the vehicle anyhow. Buying an old junker for $500 to make a donation and charge off $5000 - that'll get you in some trouble. No different than cards I'm sure.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
That's easy. You get to deduct the full $10K. Right after you report the $10K income.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
That's easy. You get to deduct the full $10K. Right after you report the $10K income.

Really? Is the law different for collectibles than other assets? I know you can donate appreciated stocks without taking the income hit. I'm pretty sure you can do it with real estate. Would this be treated differently?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Really? Is the law different for collectibles than other assets? I know you can donate appreciated stocks without taking the income hit. I'm pretty sure you can do it with real estate. Would this be treated differently?

Same thing really. The income earned and deduction made cancel each other out.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Daryl

Quote:
I'm not following. If you were to sell these worthless cards and make a profit of $10,000 and then donate $10,000, I could see the income and donation canceling each other out. But how is buying something and then donating it the same thing?
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I'm not following. If you were to sell these worthless cards and make a profit of $10,000 and then donate $10,000, I could see the income and donation canceling each other out. But how is buying something and then donating it the same thing?
In the example given, if you buy something for 25 cents, find out it's worth $10,000 and donate it, you have in essence 2 separate transactions; income of $10,000 and then a donation of $10,000. You don't get to pick the $10,000 donation and conveniently ignore the income piece.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Using the donation of appreciated stock as an example, it's NOT the same thing. When I donate stock to a charity, I get a deduction at the current price and never have to pay capital gains on the appreciation.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

I know this post has gone in a different (and interesting) direction, but I have a comment that pertains to the original poster's point.

You can make money buying and selling collections like these. I used to make a solid 2nd income doing so. Fortunately I am on to bigger and better things. Here are a few rules to live by:

#1 Count only the things that you are confident you can sell right away ie: complete sets, wax boxes and high-dollar singles. Add up what you can sell this stuff for and divide it by 2. That is the most you should pay for the entire collection. If you are selling on ebay then you should factor in fees as well. I usually figure 20% of the gross sales are going to pay fees, so take that off first and then divide it in half.

#2 Once you sell off the items in step #1 you are stuck with the rest of the "junk". This is the part that most people don't like to hassle with. You can normally find someone in your area who buys bulk and unload them cheap. If you don't know of such a person put the collection on Craigslist and they will come out of the woodwork. They will lowball you, but that's fine you just want them gone. You can also find creative ways to sell them off such as team lots, player lots, mystery lots/grab bags etc. This tends to be more work than it is worth though.

#3 If you can add something to your personal collection along the way that is a nice bonus

#4 (And most important) DO NOT OVERPAY! Yes it is exciting to aquire a large hoard of cards and sort through them and find all the gems. For the most part though what you see is what you get. If the dealer/seller wants too much for their stuff it's just not worth it for you.

Best of Luck!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Bruce Babcock

Default Be afraid. Be very afraid.

A couple of friends of mine owned a card store in the early 80s. They had a chance to buy 500,000 1980's Topps commons for $500. The figured they couldn't lose.

They did.