NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Default Did you ever meet one of the T206 players ?

Posted By: Peck

Frank "Homerun" Baker was the first pro ballplayer that I ever met. He rode at the head of our opening day little league parades in 1956 thru 1958. At the end of the parade at the ball field some of us boys would sit on the bleachers and talk with him about his life baseball. After that first year as the opening day little league parade was assembling we would always watch for Mr. Baker to show up. It was so exciting. Every time I watch "Field of Dreams" I think of those early talks with Frank Baker and the questions I would have for him now, if we only had 15 more minutes.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Mohler

Having just finished a biography of Home Run Baker a day or two ago, can I assume that you are from Maryland's Eastern Shore? It sure seemed from the biography that he was a nice, unassuming gentleman.

Jeff

Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...the best I can do is listen to the Glory of Their Times CDs and imagine I'm in the room during the interviews with Marquard, Snodgrass and Meyers.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Jeff

I am from the Eastern Shore. I live about 8 miles from Frank Baker's old home in Trappe and ride by it often, stopping to sit once in a while. I remember Mr Baker as being a really nice person. Jimmie Foxx's home town was about 45 miles away, but I don't remember seeing him as a boy.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

"...the best I can do is listen to the Glory of Their Times CDs and imagine I'm in the room during the interviews with Marquard, Snodgrass and Meyers."

Same here, in fact I'm on disc 3 right now. I just finished meeting Smoky Joe Wood for the umpteenth time. His stories are getting quite familiar to me but, hey, he's 117 years old now.

John

Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug Moore

Cd's? I didn't know there were cd's of Glory of Their Times. There actually was a vinyl album of those recordings for the book. It has a great picture of Matty warming up on the cover. The voice recordings of these players is priceless.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

....I've got them all on my iPod!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Peck - Pretty impressive to have Home Run Baker talk with you.

I have a few photos of Baker as well as an official copy of
the letter that the Maryland govenor wrote to Mr Spinks of the
Sporting News to have Baker inducted in the Hall Of Fame.
It must have worked as he was inducted the following year.
I picked up all the photos & letter here on N54 several months ago.

The picture below is probably from the mid - late 1950's when you
saw him.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Jay

That's a great photo and the letter content is super! Thanks so much for posting it. Frank Baker's entrance into the Hall in the summer of 1955 is what made our little parade so special in the spring of 1956.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Harkins

Something that has haunted me for years. As a young boy in the 50's living in North Philadelphia, two blocks from Connie Mack Stadium, a regular visitor to my Moms real estate office was an old man named Ira. Ira was short, unimpressive, not interested in me or I in him. He was always dressed in a sport coat and tie with a hat. he would come onto our front porch and sit and ask if my mon was in. If she wasn't busy, she would come out and talk to him. Many years later after I was married and mom was over for dinner, I showed her some of my baseball cards. Suddenly she says: " There's Ira"! Who? Ira Thomas. Its been bugging me my whole adult life that I missed this opportunity to have had conversations with Ira Thomas about the great Philadelphia teams and the great players that Ira played with. I can't forget this. If there is one thing that I would change in my life, it would be to spend some time talking baseball with Ira Thomas.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

"Cd's? I didn't know there were cd's of Glory of Their Times."

Doug, I own the CD and cassette versions. They're the same but I wanted to have the bases covered...no pun intended. Every vintage baseball fan should have the audio version of the book in their collection. It includes a lot of material that didn't make it into the book.

John

Old 04-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

One of the very first books I ever owned was this one and I somehow convinced mom that it was a good deal to shell out the $2 extra (like I actually remember) for the album to go with the book.

Wish I still had both

Rich

Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean Coe

I talked to Rube Marquard on the phone once. I wanted to interview him for a project I was doing in high school. He didn't want to meet, was a little grumpy at first(I don't blame him) but eventually answered a few of my questions.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

cool...

what did he have to say?

Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

Still lives near Modesto, CA where I'm from. He joined my dads hunting club when I was younger - the guys at the club almost black balled him due to some "attitude" issues. But he seemed like a nice guy to me when I met him as a teenager.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Cy Young still lives in Modesto??? Maybe his great grandson, Cy IV, or am I missing something?

The grumpy Rube Marquard story reminded me of Larry Ritter's introduction to the taped interview with Rube on the Glory of Their Times CD's. Apparently Rube wanted to know where the book royalties were going to go before talking to Ritter. Marquard's wife stepped in and told him to smarten up.

John

Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

I believe Jay Wolt owns several player's royalty checks from "Glory of Their Times"...

Jay?

Old 04-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

sorry it was his eldest son not "him"

Old 04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Even his eldest son must be 100, no?

John

Old 04-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

...was 70 + when I met him

Old 04-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Hufford

I made my first trip to Cooperstown in 1971, for the induction ceremony and for the Founding Meeting of SABR. Someone told me the place to go was the Otesago Hotel, where the players stayed. So I went over there and found a chair in the lobby - there is absolutely no way you could do that now! An old fellow walked by, and someway I figured out it was Rube Marquard, there for his HOF induction. I asked him if he would sign my copy of "Glory of Their Times," and he said he would be glad to, if he could sit down first. So, he sat down, signed my book, and then we chatted for a while. Then he said "Do you mind sitting here for a few minutes? I'll go up to my room and get something to show you." Of course, I said yes.

After a few minutes, Marquard came back with a large scrapbook that he (or someone in the family?) had kept during his career. He sat down and went through every page of that scrapbook with me, it must have taken a couple of hours. I sure wish now that I had had a tape recorder! When I got home, I wrote Marquard and thanked him, and we exchanged Holiday cards for several years after that.

So, while some others on this board may have run into a grumpy Marquard, I sure didn't!

On that same trip, I also met T206er Zach Wheat, and Harry Hooper and Larry Gardner, who weren't in T206 but made it into the T207 set.

Tom Hufford