NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Mark T.

Default Opinions on SCP auctions....

A friend is looking to sell a $100,000 + card in the next SCP auction. Does anyone have an opinion if he may get good coverage and decent price for the card in the auction?

I don't want to mention which card he has but its very desirable. I would assume that this card would get headline status.

Thanks

Last edited by Smokey Joe; 05-14-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Matt Wieder

The June auction is their initial offering, so why not see how that one goes and then you'll have a better sense of things. Is the deadline for the following auction before June?

You changed it to SCP instead of SCD

Last edited by Matt; 05-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Tom Boblitt

Default Not to disparage them by no means..........

As I'm sure they'll run a good auction and I'm sure coverage will be good but I'd steer to one of the other largers like Legendary, REA, Hunts or Heritage. Just my own personal opinion. I can't really support SCD stuff heavily given the whole Coaches Corner thing. If a $100K card and vintage, I'd think the REA's or Legendary's would be the absolute best venue personally.........is he in a hurry to sell it?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 AM

Default Don't you mean SCP??

same as title, Don't you mean SCP??
Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Mark T.

Sorry...SCP is what i meant.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Jim VB

I'm with Tom. Although I'm sure they will run a smooth auction, I don't think I'd be willing to "experiment" with a card of that value. Unless he needs to sell it by a certain time, talk to one of the big guys.

Now, on the other hand, if SCD really wants to kick off their auctions with a bang, he may be able to negotiate a great deal (0% sellers commission, maybe a cut of the buyers fee, a big chunk in the form of an advance, etc.) All of those things might be able to tip the scale. But, even a 10-12% reduction in the closing price would be a killer.

At a quick glance for example, over the last 2 years, low grade, T206 Wagners (PSA, SGC or Beckett's - 1's) have sold anywhere between $192,000 and $399,000. I wouldn't fool around with that amount of money at risk.

Edited to add - SCP is certainly different than SCD. I'll withhold comment on SCP. Suffice it to say, that option adds even more questions to me.

Last edited by Jim VB; 05-14-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:44 AM

I think people are confusing SCP with SCD. Sportscards Plus (SCP) has been selling high-end cards and running very strong auctions for decades. They have sold many $100,000+ cards and memorabilia pieces. I would not be worried about the item being seen by the potential buyers. I am sure all the big names are on their list.
JimB
Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
I think people are confusing SCP with SCD. Sportscards Plus (SCP) has been selling high-end cards and running very strong auctions for decades. They have sold many $100,000+ cards and memorabilia pieces. I would not be worried about the item being seen by the potential buyers. I am sure all the big names are on their list.
JimB
Jim - he originally wrote SCD and later edited his post to SCP which is why the posts don't make sense. In the future, folks can use the "strike text" button (when looking at the advanced text editor, it's the right-most button on the bottom row) to preserve the original text but put a line through it so that these situations can be avoided.

Last edited by Matt; 05-14-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Mark T.

Yes...Matt is correct. I posted SCD by mistake. Thanks for all replies. I will let my friend know your opinions.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM

Sportscards Plus does lots of advertising for their auctions and usually has lots of high end stuff. I would assume they get fair values. They used to partner with Sotheby's.

Last edited by drc; 05-14-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM

1st offering??? SCP has been doing very successful auctions for years Matt. Dan.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
1st offering??? SCP has been doing very successful auctions for years Matt. Dan.
Dan - please read the thread before you post. He initially wrote SCD.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I would go with a more trusted source than SCD (just kidding.... I got the change...)

Regarding SCP, they have a great mailing list and have been doing it forever. The best thing for your friend, however, may be the 0% commission they are currently offering on high-value graded cards.

I know that Mile High (who I don't believe has been mentioned yet) is offering the same 0% commission, and would also be a great alternative. They seem to be realizing prices as high as anyone else. Both Both SCP and Mile High have a consignment deadline rapidly approaching. Bottom line is that with a card like that, you shouldn't have to pay ANY seller's commission.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Tom Boblitt

Default Okay..........

I see SCP instead of SCD.......I'm sure Ryan Christoff would chime in on SCP.....anyway, ANYONE would offer 0% on a 100K card. That's a moot point.........I haven't seen much from SCP.....didn't they break away from Sotheby's again?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

I did read it Matt and everything stated SCP when I read it. I didn't understand the SCD connection except I thought someone just mis read it. Dan.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 PM

And yes tom, they are no longer associated with Sotheby's. Dan.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
I did read it Matt and everything stated SCP when I read it. I didn't understand the SCD connection except I thought someone just mis read it. Dan.
Dan - I don't see how you read post 8 above and still made your comment. I'm sure you read the OP, but not the whole thread. No matter.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:04 PM

You are right, I did miss #8, not sure how but I sure did. Saw the new intial post then yours I guess. But saw Tom's as well so God knows what I did. Dan.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
You are right, I did miss #8, not sure how but I sure did. Saw the new intial post then yours I guess. But saw Tom's as well so God knows what I did. Dan.
it's all good