NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Barry Jock

Wow, Im getting out of the hobby if baseball cards are worth going to jail for! hahaha!!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Rick Probstein

Default 1979 Thrman Munson his card ony came in the bottom section and a true expert should

1979 Thrman Munson his card ony came in the bottom section and a
true expert should know that
==> how is this rock solid definitive info ? very curious to know and understand.
thx

Last edited by probstein123; 01-24-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Arthur R!ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by probstein123 View Post
==> how is this rock solid definitive info ? very curious to know and understand.
thx
Good to see you doing some research on unopened material after seeing all those bad rack packs you were selling.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Michael..Adams

Pepis- If this is your version of an apology, then I'd say its one of the worst apologies I've ever heard. You have a lot of nerve posting an admission here in such a callous and unremorseful fashion.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by probstein123 View Post
thx
it is actually pretty simple to verefy,,
in 1979 cards were issued in 6 different series A,B,C,D,E & F
if you look on the back side of every card you'll find one of these letters next to the copy right which would indicate what panel the card came from
now if you open a legit 79 cello you'll find 2 sections separeted by a gum piece the cards in the top section should be from series D,E,F panels
and the bottom section would have cards from A,B,C, panels, AGAIN EASY A,B,C, CARDS ON THE BOTTOM SECTION,,D,E,F, IN THE TOP SECTION
if anybody checks every pack on EBAY current or past you will never find a common card from A,B,C, on top, the only time you see an A,B,C, card
on the top section is when somebody put a STAR from that panel on a home-made pack all of you with 79 cellos can easily double check it.

Last edited by pepis; 06-24-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Alex

Pepis, post a list of the cert numbers of the packs you received from PSA.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by al032184 View Post
Pepis, post a list of the cert numbers of the packs you received from PSA.
The packs that i was involved directly in altering that graded
are still in my posetion,, i call them proof and think only 12 people will see'm
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Packs

If you have a Psa cert number can you pulled all the cards in that submission? If so try this cert 19979599.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepis View Post
are still in my posetion,, i call them proof and think only 12 people will see'm
So you are claiming that you submitted resealed/fake cellos but never sold any of them?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepis View Post
What does that mean? What 12 people? Proof of what? What do you mean you think 12 people? How many are NOT in your possession? Did you sell them? Give them away? Destroy them? Do you know who has them?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-24-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Omit
Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Mark Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
Good to see you doing some research on unopened material after seeing all those bad rack packs you were selling.
+1

Last edited by cincyredlegs; 01-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Christian Guidi

I so wish I could be there to see the look on the poor jurors' (the 12 people Pepis is planning on showing his packs to) faces when they find out that this is the case they are going to be stuck listening to... something tells me that by the time the lawyers are done screening no one there will be nearly as interested as anyone who is reading this forum. Unless of course Pepis has a Runaway Jury partner in crime...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew h View Post
i heard there's some greedy people in this hobby... Is that true?
whatchu talkin' 'bout willis !!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Wow a thread that brought out Rick Probstein. Too bad Rick never piped in on threads that he and his auctions were the subject of.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Wow a thread that brought out Rick Probstein. Too bad Rick never piped in on threads that he and his auctions were the subject of.
That is exactly what I noticed. Here is a fresh one:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=probstein

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Looks like nobody directly answered your questions. I'll leave the legal advice to others and stick to simple "do the right thing" answers.

Questions for the board:
A) Is it morally ok for me to sell the packs on the list? Seriously? No its not ok to sell something you have reason to believe is altered.

B) How would you feel if you saw a pack you owned on the list? Umm, Bad

C) Should I disclose to my friend that he could have a fake pack even though I told Steve Hart I would not share the list with anyone No, you yourself said Steve is honorable, so treat him honorably and do as you promised

D) Should I contact the consigner of the packs I sold and let him know he may have passed on fake packs Not now, you yourself said there are still questions on many packs, wait for the FBI investigation to finish and deal with any bogus packs you consigned at that time

E) I have the entire list of possible bad packs. Should I post them so people can view it or keep it a secret because I told Steve Hart I would not share the list with anyone.* I refer to the last half of your question "C" live up to your word with Steve. BTW I really hope you have not caused Steve a world of hurt by going public that he gave you this list while there is an ongoing FBI investigation

F) Should I at least expose the pack I see on ebay right now?* Even though it may be real? No, as you just said it may be real
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM
Rick Probstein

Default Wow a thread that brought out Rick Probstein. Too bad Rick never piped in on threads

==> hey greg, I'll reply to that 1914 cracker jack thread shortly...
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
What up, Jose?
Everything is de-mundo-bueno Keith.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Henry Nich.ols

Open all the packs see what you get I know it is gambling, But you can throw out the evidence and start new .
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
If I were a dealer I wouldn't post many questions here either if these were the types of responses I got.

jeff
Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
If I were a dealer I wouldn't post many questions here either if these were the types of responses I got.

jeff
Lots of dealers ask questions here, ones that have no reason to garner such negative responses, don't.

I have bought stuff from Rick P, and will continue to as he's got quality material, and I think he's a good seller. I will however, examine closely the biddig activity. It is my opinion that some his consignors are using him as an easy avenue to shill their lots, and no one on his end really cares...

Matt Hall
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 AM
Dan Marke1

Default A StarPaxMan Thread deleted by CU

Using Google's "poofed-thread" recovery feature, here's some of the packs StarPaxMan was showing off along with some interesting admissions:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache6XfjCoo3MgJ:forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm%3Fcatid%3D11%26threadid%3D848796%2 6STARTPAGE%3D4+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

In thread #6 1980scollector wrote:

Just want to thank Jose. Today, made him an offer for two packs. He came back and actually offered to sell the two for 50.00 less than my offer.

In all my days, never had someone take my offer and reduce it.

Can't wait to get my two packs!

So it appears some of these were sold unless the deal never went through.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 AM
Matt Hall

Dan, where are the admissions?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 AM
Dan Marke1

Matt,

Besides the quote from another collector regarding a sale, other things were mentioned:

In thread #4, 1980scollector wrote:

Jose,

Wow, I wanted the Dawson since I missed your PSA 9 you sold earlier this year and then I realized it is a TOP and BOTTOM.

In thread #7 StarPaxMan wrote:

The 1st time i remember going out making daly rounds to dep stores card shops etc was during the David Clyde rc frenzie in 1974, in 1975 i went nuts buying case after case of 1975 pulling all the star/rookies on top out and sell
everything else at shows,i think i paid between $120 and $175 per case through 1977 and it went on on different levels til the mid 80s when competition got tough.
btw; between 1976-1979 G.foster was a super star the absolute class of the NL,,,,,,,,,,,Jose

In summary, with discussions of packs being sold and claiming to have bought these packs as originals, I'm having a hard time believing that this was all just a test to see how good the graders and experts are.

I'm curious to know how this was all brought out into the open. Was it by the pack submitter or did someone blow the whistle on him?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Dan Bretta

On April 7, 2012 someone wrote only "Your honor" in that thread.

Prescient?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Lots of dealers ask questions here, ones that have no reason to garner such negative responses, don't.

I have bought stuff from Rick P, and will continue to as he's got quality material, and I think he's a good seller. I will however, examine closely the biddig activity. It is my opinion that some his consignors are using him as an easy avenue to shill their lots, and no one on his end really cares...

Matt Hall
I have no problem with your position at all. My only point is that we can either use this forum to constantly complain about grading companies, dealers, bad buyers, bad sellers, etc, etc, etc or try to improve the hobby when given the opportunity. If a dealer shows any sign of wanting to learn more about how to spot fakes, reprints, repacked packs, etc., I think we should take it as an opportunity to educate instead of pile on.

jeff
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Arthur R!ch

Jeff, I appreciate your comments but, with all due respect, I don't think you're fully aware of all the details.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Matt Hall

Thanks for clearing it up for me Dan... I'm not too knowledgeable on the cello pack niche. I noticed he was flaunting some unopened 1987 topps
Football, I'm kinda surprised the hobby values something like that.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG1966 View Post

13) I called some higher ups at PSA looking for assistance and guidance and was treated like crap and given no help.
14) My entire user profile including thread posts and PM's has now been deleted from PSA's forums. I had a lot of information pertaining to this in my PM's
I am shocked, shocked to find out information like this.
Treating customers like crap and censorship, just shocking .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
I have no problem with your position at all. My only point is that we can either use this forum to constantly complain about grading companies, dealers, bad buyers, bad sellers, etc, etc, etc or try to improve the hobby when given the opportunity. If a dealer shows any sign of wanting to learn more about how to spot fakes, reprints, repacked packs, etc., I think we should take it as an opportunity to educate instead of pile on.

jeff
I am not sure that ignoring the issues and problems will solve anything. This board makes many aware of the issues out there to protect the hobby. A complaint about a seller or grading company can save someone $ in the end. I guess if you don't like how things are here then you can find another board to visit for info and warnings.

If your referring to probstein123 as "the dealer" then he deserves more than a questioning IMO. He can comment on this of all things but can't come here and reply to allegations of bidding fraud in his auctions. Why the intrest in this Rick? I think there is more than we know with this connection. This is just my opinion but something smells fishy.

Member since 2009
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:

jeff
Jeff, I don't see it as "complaining", it's more of a "calling out". If you or I, or anyone else starts doing something questionable, we should all expect a thorough bashing here on the board.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Why the intrest in this Rick? I think there is more than we know with this connection. This is just my opinion but something smells fishy.
Not accusing of anything, but just pointing out that the second post he ever made to Net54 was asking how many cards are in a pack of 1961 Fleer Basketball.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134536
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Not accusing of anything, but just pointing out that the second post he ever made to Net54 was asking how many cards are in a pack of 1961 Fleer Basketball.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134536
The funny thing about this link is the only person who answered him is an admitted shiller on this thread:

http://forums.collectors.com/message...42&STARTPAGE=2

Will this stuff ever end?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

In thread #7 StarPaxMan wrote:

I'm curious to know how this was all brought out into the open. Was it by the pack submitter or did someone blow the whistle on him?[/QUOTE]

A litle before this thread was deleted the CU deleted another thread
(unopened packs with stars on top) was also deleted now if Dan can recover that thread
you'll find what got all this starded in page # 22

Last edited by pepis; 01-25-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Page 1

Page 22

Last edited by atx840; 01-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM

http://web.archive.org/web/201012060...6&STARTPAGE=22
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Chris,
i see you founded now you need page #22 which is the start and continues for 3 or 4 pages,

Last edited by pepis; 01-25-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

jwgators beat me to it.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM

Just trying to help solve the mystery...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Dan Marke1

Also, what I don't understand is that Page 22 was written in 2010. There seems to be a time disconnect if this is all the sudden a scandal. What am I missing?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
jwgators beat me to it.
I'm an older man dealer/collector for 44 years now and as a collector
51 years now,, my computer skills are limited, so is pretty impresive to me
how some of you can pull a rabit out of a hat sort of speak, anyways
the start like you see is in page 22 however the real kaos is in the next
2 or 3 pages
Old 01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenItWasAHobby View Post
Here you go, from page 22 through 34 (the entire thread had 127 pages!):

Interesting Don,
this thread was deleted because what is in page 23 and you don't have
page #23 there you have page #22 twice you left the most important
post out!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
Dan Marke1

I fixed it.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Dan can you give a synopsis for those of us who would rather jump in a lake than wade through 50 CU threads?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Dan can you give a synopsis for those of us who would rather jump in a lake than wade through 50 CU threads?
It appears as though at least one bad pack (1973 Cello with Schmidt Rookie showing) originated from two of the biggest unopened material experts in the hobby.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

And is this thought to be fraud or mistake?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Dan Bretta

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but this happened in 2010 so I am a bit confused why this is being brought up in this thread.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
It appears as though at least one bad pack (1973 Cello with Schmidt Rookie showing) originated from two of the biggest unopened material experts in the hobby.
It gets better someone posted another equaly bad 73 psa pack trying
to defend the #1 guy, as to say 2 wrongs make a right