NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2002, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Default Please read this eBay description.....

Posted By: Mike Williams 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1839585119

A new level of "balls" has been achieved!

Old 06-27-2002, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

Balls aren't involved at all - only a desire to make a buck off of idiots.

Old 06-27-2002, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

I like the way they use words like ORIGINAL and GENUINE in capital letters to REALLY make you THINK that what they're offering is a RARE and HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE item that will only GAIN IN VALUE over the years!

Old 06-27-2002, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I'll go ahead and use SLEAZY (all in Caps) since that hasn't been thrown out yet...

Old 06-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

The following is text from an eBay Listing by Libertyforall:

<< A couple of the "Big" grading companies say these types of items (cut outs) should not be graded due to the nature of these items. But due to popular demand and the undeniable popularity of these ORIGINAL items a growing number of grading companies (I've even seen a "mainstream" company grading a few) are now recognizing that these items do have value to certain collectors and are grading these type of items anyway. Despite not being listed in price guides, being nonstard, and being given the cold sholder by the biggies these ORIGINAL graded items have been selling upwards of $500 or more a piece and are gaining in popularity. In my opinion these are rediculously LOW PRICED UNTAPPED GEMS and represent great collectors items! I CAN TELL THESE ARE GAINING IN POPULARITY NOT ONLY BY THE RISING PRICES BUT ALSO BY THE AMOUNT OF NASTY EMAILS I GET FROM "STANDARD DEALERS" DEMANDING I STOP SELLING THESE "NONSTANDARD" ITEMS! I guess they're afraid of the competition! Get these now while there still reasonably priced! IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS IS OR ARE UNCLEAR PLEASE EXCERSIZE SOME COMMON SENSE AND DO NOT BID! If you are not worried about this item not being listed in the price guides, being nonstandard, and not being a "true card" but being a cut out, but still love the picture, the player, the untapped potential, and the history this ORIGINAL COLLECTIBLE HAS then this item is for you. If you are looking only for a "regular card" with a listed book then please don't bid and don't waste my time with stupid emails. >>

Comments:
First, it's most than just a couple of the "big" grading companies. It's every single one and even most of the "smaller" grading companies. Also included in this group are all sane and rational collectors of vintage cards. Rumor has it, there are even some bravely intelligent primates that can distinguish between a gratuitously worthless piece of 1920s magazine scrap that ends up in a NASA/AAA holder and a REAL vintage baseball card.

Gaining in popularity? Where? Among those vintage buyers that libertyforall has taken advantage of? Weren't beanie babies once popular? And let's not forget about pet rocks. The bottom line is if it weren't for the ignorance of beginning collectors of vintage nostalgia, libertyforall would be stuck in his basement doing two things. Taking a pick and hammer to his valuable moon rocks and ripping pages out of old maps and Bibles. Pathetic.

Afraid of the competition? No. I'm afraid that this blockheaded buffoon is driving away who knows how many "newbies" from this hobby with his sideshow chicanery. In fact, we have already received numerous emails from new collectors asking us about some of the values for the worthless piece of magazine scraps that they've just won on eBay. What's next from libertyforall? Alchemy and spontaneous generation?

But the most telling clue of all should be the very one this seller hedges on -- the exclusion of these items from price guides. Why are they not there? It is really a malevolently sinister plot by the hobby's powerbrokers? No. It's much, much simpler than that. Baseball card price guides only list prices for BASEBALL CARDS and related baseball memorabilia. They don't list values for road kill, toilet seats, or unclean hankies. And they certainly don't have any index for scrap cut from decrepit magazines.

There's only one place where libertyforall can find values for what he sells. It's in the eagerly awaited 1st Annual "2002 Crap Sellers Guide to smack and other scalawag scrap and rubble." Look for it in a trash heap or city dump near you.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dr.Richard Koos

....that with the mega-quantities of these cut-out magazine pictures he's trying to foist as cards, after he "home-slabs" them (order by the hundred????), there's most probably only ONE example of a magazine page in his file cabinet, the ones that he's offering on Ebay in these huge, available numbers being nothing more than copier facsimiles of his file example. I still think that he's selling copies of a fake card. Any of the 4 pop-rivets on his home-spun slabs are worth more than the "graded" fecal matter inside! Anyone ever "win" one of these just to study the slab and the physical make-up of the paper inside? Curious.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Dr. Koos --

With one 1920s or 1930s Spalding Baseball guide yielding hundreds, perhaps even thousands of gradable "subjects," I don't think libertyforall has any need of a photocopier. But how about a muzzle and a pair of handcuffs...now THERE'S something that this eBay seller REALLY could use.

Old 06-28-2002, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

While the guy is certainly little better than pond scum........I do believe his assertion that they are 'original'. He's skirting the facts far too closely on everything else to need to make photocopies. I collect some older publications like Famous Slugger booklets and Sporting News booklets and they have literally TONS of fodder for him in them. Team pictures, individual composites and others--all things he's cutting out that have the 'partial stats' on the back. He hypes and hypes and then says if you're not sure what you're bidding on, then for God's sake, don't bid. With all the hyping, by the time they get to that statement, many of these dolts DO believe they know what they're bidding on. I always want to go through and hit all the minimums so some REAL idiot doesn't do the buy it now but I don't.........I would like to win one just for the purpose that Koos said but I just can't bring myself to do it. Ebay and their 'caveat emptor' clause, huh?

Old 06-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jverri01

Ummm....

He refers to one "mainstream company" doing this, as well. Who?? Or, is he suggesting NASA is mainstream?

I want in with his drug supplier.