NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: TimJ

I've recently started the task of collecting a complete set of 206's.I know collectors have spent years trying to accomplish this,but my love for this set,not to mention other early 20th century cards,sort of lights a fire in me and I would like to at least try.I'm familiar with the 206 museum,but I was wondering if there is a sort of "checklist" of cards and variations that I can get my hands on.I know you guys and gals are at the top of your game,so any help would be greatly appriciated!

Old 04-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Now I know there is some rivalry on this issue,but I can assure you that I won't thawart you guys' quest to get this done on a personal level.I'm just a lonely dude doing this for myself out of personal love for the wonderful printing of this era.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Dave

I'm collecting this set, as well, and have found several web sites of interest.

Checklist Central has a detailed checklist of many sets and is at:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/checklists.html#cat4

A great listing of web links for vintage collecting is at:
http://www.oldbaseball.com/checklists.html#cat4

I am particularly fond of Runscott's site which has great vintage pictures that were the basis of many of the T206 poses. It is at:
http://www.homestead.com/runscott/

I've downloaded many of the images of sets where I have interest. It is always helpful to see what the cards should look like. This is Dan Austin's virtual collection:
http://www.vintagecardtraders.com/virtual/

The last site I will point out is an interesting one; it gives expected prices of the T206 set based on card, grade, and back. It doesn't check for legal backs to front, so beware. Like any price guide, it is way off in some cases. Check out some recent Southern League prices on ebay as examples.
http://www.mlbvintage.com/t206/

Enjoy.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Ben

Here's a nice writeup and checklist by Chris Stufflestreet, a good guy who posts here once in a blue moon:

http://www.geocities.com/chrisstufflestreet/t206.html

And here's Lipset's encyclopedia, which is essential for any prewar collector, a good t206 section too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5182153835&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And the search function on this forum will give you loads and loads of other info. Good Luck.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Thanks Dave, I'm sure this info will be priceless.Also thanks to Ben,I'm sure our paths will cross in the near future !

Old 04-03-2005, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Anonymous

Does this include the more rare backs?

Old 04-03-2005, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Anonymous

Sorry,I didn't realize that I would be listed as annomous.It has to be my fault.

Old 04-03-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Lee Behrens

If anyone is interested I have a T206 Checklist that is printable with blank spaces for the back, wheteher graded, and the grade of the card. I can send you either a alphabetical or by team. Just send me an email.

Lee

Old 04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I'm still working on that page if anyone has scans to contribute.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: JimB

Lee,
I would appreciate a copy of your checklist. What is your e-mail address?
Thanks,
JimB
james.blumenthal@oregonstate.edu

Old 04-03-2005, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Joe P.

Go back up to Lee's post.
Click on his name.
That should give you Lee's e-mail address.
Joe

Old 04-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Bryan Long

Obviously I could make one up myself but if anyone has already gone to the trouble it would be very helpful. It would be even more helpful if someone has this list with all the possible back for each HOFer card.
Thanks

Old 04-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Joe P.

The effort is now up to you.
Here's a little tip.
Get a hold of Bill Heitman's, "The Monster".
Among other things, it has a great illustrative list of every possible back for every card of the T206 set.
If you dig backs, you'll enjoy your digging.
Have fun.
Joe

Old 04-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Mike P.

This thread has some additional info that may be of help.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1112402496&lp=1112462436

Old 04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Tim James

I'd like to thank everybody for the valuble input.This should keep me busy for a minute or two !

Old 04-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Father Time

You gotta Luv the newbies.

What took us years, ... and still counting.
They can now do in a minute or two.

I just got an instant message from off the wall.

Maybe we should dole out the information.
Have the newbies take a number as they come in.
We in turn, will call out a number and answer one question a week.
This way the diggers, and researchers wont feel so stupid for taking so long to get the information.

Only kidding TJ.
I can't resist an improvisational line, when it's given to me.
Enjoy the T206 challenge.
Joe

Old 04-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

I must admit that I am a "newbie" to the forum,but in my younger years I aquired a fairly good collection of 205's and 206's not to mention some nice E cards.Due to financial challanges I ended up letting them go.I've since made music my main focus being a musician in Nashville.I've just turned 40 and aquired some cards from a friend and it lit that old fire in me.Trust me, this info will keep me busy for a while.Like they say,"Idle hands are the devil's workshop".

Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: robert a

Hey Tim.
Keep the questions coming.
This stuff is old hat to some of the guys around here, but not everyone.
Good luck.
robert

Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Thanks Robert.I couldn't help noticing your login.It makes my cry sometimes,but I had a nice batch of E-106's that I miss dearly.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Thank you for picking up on the fact that I was kidding with you, I figuered that you would.
I put enough smilies in there to make sure.
Even if it's old hat, what true collector wouldn't like to talk about T206's, or any vintage card of interest.

My suggestion to collectors, and also to investors is, that if you have a question about a particuler card or a set, check out the search engine.
I say this not because we don't want to hear a repeated question, but because when you make the effort to go through some of the threads, and posts delving with your topic, you might come across some questions and answers that you didn't even think about.
All it requires is one's drive and determination to seek the mother lode, and that the search engine is at the top of it's game.

TJ, you say that you're a musician, what do you blow?

Joe

Old 04-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

With a login like tobacco-r-us,I feel like I'm defiantly talking to an authority on the issue!Living in the capitolistic society that we are,I think the # system and the one question a week is a great idea.Sign up for the weekly download or something.I needed the info myself,and injecting a thread of this kind,I thought it would get info to others that might be getting the desire to do the same thing I am.Thus, the brotherhood of vintage cards lives on!And also,what would we do whithout those lovable smilies? I blow the bass guitar occasionally but not with alot of success.
Please treat us well Father Time, Amen.

P.S.
I'm kind of new to the computer thing also,can you give me a pointer or two for the search engines that you prefer?

Old 04-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

TJ, years ago I use to hang out with some musicians in NYC, and would go to some of their gigs. One of them was an old friend of mine, and whenever he was asked "what does he blow" by someone he just met, he would just smile and say, "I blow piano man, piano". ... and the man could play.
About tobacco cards, I don't consider myself an expert, but I do have years of experience in certain areas, and I'm still learning.
About computers, I am a total illiterate.
However, I can point you towards the Search Post Engine.
Go to the main page.
The line right above the list of thread topics.
Somewhere near the center, you'll find the words Search Post.
Click on that.
For the heck of it, type T206, in the blank slot.
That should bring up everything ever discussed by anyone about the T206 set, and more.
Musicians would call that blowing the Search Post Engine.

Have fun.
Joe

Old 04-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: MikeB

Lee,
Thanks for the list. I'm having trouble with email. Mike

Old 04-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Dave H

I have also just started collecting the T206 set. I am hoping to get in SGC. I noticed I beat out Lee for a card this past week.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting T-206

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Just so you don't make it a habit, David. Tim Newcomb has had his sniper gun trained on me for a couple of years. I don't think I can handle two gunning for me.

I have sent out more of these checklist on this notice than when I original was inquirying about making one and following thru. I initially wanted to charge for the checklist because of the time spent but after talking to a couple of the "oldies" I decided it was better to offer them for free to those interested. After the interest shown from this thread I am very glad I have decided to offer these checklists.
I think this shows that there is a lot of new blood in the hobby which is always good, I am just thankful O am down to 2 T206s, but still dabble in them because the possibilities for collecting the set are endless.

It is a great hobby with great people in it. Everyone leave the T206 Doyle throwing and the T206 Al Shaw, St. Louis until I get them and I will be one happy camper!!!!!

Lee