NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
when you get a chance, do put me in touch with him.
i'll make sure the two get together so they can enjoy those great pieces of
cardboard and fabulous discussions of heideggerean epistemology.
all the best, ole friend.
always great hearing from you.

barry

And here we have the birth of The Arnold Group.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Jim Crandell

I don't think most graded card collectors collect for the competition. I have 500 or so sets in the PSA set registry and there is not one of these I am actually competing to have the best set. Its fun to see where I stand on the registry but I just like to have all my sets in psa 8 or better and look sharp....and I am a passionate as anyone about collecting. There is really no difference in the pssion that graded card collectors and raw card collectors bring to the hobby...its just that graded card collectors are smarter(just kidding on that last statement).

Jim
Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalillo View Post
I don't think most graded card collectors collect for the competition. I have 500 or so sets in the PSA set registry and there is not one of these I am actually competing to have the best set. Its fun to see where I stand on the registry but I just like to have all my sets in psa 8 or better and look sharp....and I am a passionate as anyone about collecting. There is really no difference in the pssion that graded card collectors and raw card collectors bring to the hobby...its just that graded card collectors are smarter(just kidding on that last statement).

Jim
I know you are very passionate about your collecting. I admire that very much. I certainly didn't mean my comment way above, the way it came out. I just gave my opinion, concerning some collecting I have seen, but also didn't mean to put down the way anyone collects. We had a very nice, fairly long chat at the National and I hope we can do it again at the next one. If you aren't doing anything Friday night you should come over to the Net54baseball dinner. It will be a lot of fun and I would love to see you there.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Jim Crandell

Its cool Leon. I was in Dallas Thursday. I was going to give you a call to come down to the Mansion at Turtle Creek for a drink. I have never seen so many good looking ladies in a bar in my life. Also had a terrific meal at Ocean Prime. Two thumbs up for Dallas.

Also Leon--appreciate you pointing me to rarites sold by you and others. Love the cards I bought in your last auction. They are adding a cool dimension to my collection. I love prewar cards but beyond the 10-15 most popular sets I don't know a lot about the sets themselves.

All the best,

Jim
Old 03-26-2011, 10:37 PM

I used to be a "raw card only, I hate the slabs" guy years ago but now I have an equal number of cards graded as ungraded. I love having the sets like T205, T206, T207, T212s etc. ungraded, raw in pages, all together. On the other hand, all my caramel cards and M cards are slabbed for several reasons: I wanted them protected, they are easier to re-sell when I pass on and my family inherits them, plus I like the way they look, especially in SGC holders. I likewise have all my T210s graded and slabbed, mostly in SGC holders for eye appeal.
As far as registry sets go, several of my sets of slabbed cards are in all 3 holders- SGC, PSA, and GAI, so they will never make it to #1 without massive cross-grading. That's fine. I do not employ the registry sets as a compulsive drive for the best set, I use them to help identify and prove value in case my cards are ever stolen. It's something we should all think about.

Last edited by tbob; 03-26-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Barry Arnold

Default anthony n and tbob

no such births here, anthony!!!
just silly playfulness with ole al who i'm always glad to see around here.

bob,
i'm relieved that you still have the gai's. I've been holding onto mine ever since you and I agreed ages ago that gai was pretty good for a period of time, which admittedly seems like ancient history now.
I have the monster in mostly sgc, a few dozen of psa, 2 or 3 dozen of gai,
and 2 or 3 bvg's. They've basically been 'protectors' for me and never felt the need to spend the bucks for the sake of homogeneity,etc. I don't think i've ever sold a card myself---traded once in a blue moon.
When i saw that you'd sent 26 or so of your gai's to sgc(the old address)
i began wondering if i'd best put my thinking cap back on.

all the best,
barry
Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Larry

Default Graded vs Ungraded

Thanks guys, for some very interesting posts. We've toasted certain dealers on this very site and lauded them for their friendliness, customer service, etc., but over the 20+ years I've been collcting, I've found that natural human instinct is that if you're selling the card raw, it tends to be graded higher than it will semi-objectively, by the grading companies, even by guys we've given the highest commendations to. I've purchased '57 Frank Robinsons with an indentation across the center of the card graded near mint, '63 Musial's graded NMt-Mt by mail whose centering was dubious, and with a stain on the back, and a '58 Jim Brown rookie supposedly in NMt-Mt with the back portion scratched off by these same guys. Human nature is human nature, with regard to grading--the seller wants it to be a higher grade simply to make more $$$!

You still have to buy the card, not the slab, as either Jeff or Barry have stated here, but the authentication process becomes more difficult if buying raw, since presumably (hope, hope!) the professional graders have been able to better keep up with restoration techniques than we have as collectors (although my position is that there have been too many 9's and 10's in the pre-'60's area in recent years, which are restored cards that are simply slipping past the graders, and I personally would not be buying such condition rarities without additional insurance). I have read that Jim Crandell will not touch such a high $$ specimen unless Kevin Saucier gives it his personal stamp of approval, and I wouldn't be surprised that some day Kevin starts his own business and starts doing that on a large (and profitable) scale. Maybe Jim isn't so far off on his last remark, especially with the latter qualification. We've come a long way, and so have the card doctors since the '90, when basically all you had to do was bring a high-powered loupe along to shows and take a careful look at the edges to determine originality.

I also agree with Jeff that I enjoy my considerably rare but lower condition cards in slabs as much as those which are more common in higher grades.

Would love to hear your feedback.

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 03-27-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:59 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM

Just FYI, but my latest submission was mailed to the PO Box and delivered to SGC on Friday (3/25). So everything is still working from that stand point.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Brian Dwyer

I know that the mail is set up to forward for one year, but the same Post Office where the PO Box was located processes deliveries to the street address, so I'd imagine that if they see an SGC package, it will be placed with street deliveries regardless of how it is addressed. There might be a one or two day delay on a few packages--which is unfortunate--but until the address update is properly implemented by being removed from the all aspects of the site and reprinted on all invoices, the delay might be unavoidable.

Brian
Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Barry Arnold

Default brian d

many thanks!
you still offer the best of customer service even when you don't work at the
place anymore.
kudos to you again and again

all the best,
barry
Old 03-27-2011, 04:43 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
fabulous discussions of heideggerean epistemology.
Who'll be in charge of the sheep dip?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Patrick N.

Default reassurance

so I'd imagine that if they see an SGC package, it will be placed with street deliveries regardless of how it is addressed.--now that sounds reassuring....
Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Barry Arnold

Default adam

i'll bring them Herbridean once, but after that they're strictly on their own!
all the best,

barry
Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
so I'd imagine that if they see an SGC package, it will be placed with street deliveries regardless of how it is addressed.--now that sounds reassuring....
That's how forwarding orders are handled. The letter/package is machine sorted to the proper branch, then manually sorted into the route order by the carrier. Except for junk mail which is usually already in route order.

Any vacation hold mail or mail to be forwarded gets removed there. If the forward is in the same branch it would be handed off to the carrier for that route. Forwards outside the same branch get a label and are sent back to the regional processing center. The boxes are a "route" so the person handling the po boxes would make a bin of SGC mail and give it to the carrier. I'm not sure if it would get relabeled, probably not.

Steve B
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post

I am sure it will be fixed Monday!

ZING!!!