NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Default Any senior moments in collecting?

Posted By: leon

Recently I made a deal with a good board member I have done some things with before. He saw a card on my site for sale, said he wanted it, and all was good. I told him I would double check to make sure I had it, but it was not marked sold on the site or my spreadsheet, so we were probably good to go. I looked for that darn card (a T209-1) for hours. I actually cleaned up my office and my card room trying to find it. It seems the more I get stuff organized the more I can't find anything. (not sure why that phenomena happens but it does). Our deal was for 2 cards and the other one I had in my palm so we were at least good for one. I must have picked up my stack of for-sale T cards 10 times, thumbing through them, but to no avail. Finally, on the day I was going to throw in the towel, I went back to the pile of T's once more. I flipped through them again (maybe 20 or 30, raw and in slabs in the same pile).....Nadda.....I laid them down on their backs and viola....there was the darn T209-1, in a top loader, stuck to the back of an SGC graded card. It fit perfectly between the 2 ridges in the holder and was stuck to it. The board member emailed today saying he got them and thanking me again. I was sweating it for a few hours though.....Any more stories out here about operational mishaps? regards

edited typo

Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Time is an unforgiving thief Leon. I lose, then find things all the time. The best is when you find something you forgot you ever had in the first place.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Arthur Lobbe

My wife refers to my system as "organized clutter", however I usually know where everything is so it works for me. I thought I had listed a 1972 Topps Mays autograph in my PSA Registry, but one day as I was checking I still needed a Mays. I knew I had it and tore everything apart looking for it. I eventually gave up and bought a Yellow HOF Plaque for my set. Months went by and I was shifting things around and grabbed one of my empty PSA boxes to put so cards in. Lo and Behold stuck inside one of the side flaps was the Mays card. The autograph was as nice as I remembered and I resubmitted and got a 10. Now if I can only fine that SGC 92 Diamond Stars Buck Jordan that I know I have somewhere!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

a few years back (not quite close to senior) i was putting a set together '74 or '76 topps baseball i think...i had a list of cards by number that i needed and would just cross them out as i found/bought them. well, i went to 3 card shows back to back to back and i forgot to update the first show cards...so needless to say, i had about 60 cards that i didnt need two of.

the only good thing out of that blunder was that they were all commons.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I lost a PSA 8 1965 Lou Brock for over 2 years. I dropped a stack of slabs one evening and unlike the others which hit the floor it somehow fell into a slightly open cabinet door and into a box of envelopes. When I finally cleared out the cabinet, there was the card inside the box.

I still can't find a set of boxing cards I bought several years ago and put away (I thought); I guess I put them away really, really well.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...and they usually center around moves -- our big move to the suburbs from the city; our big move from our rented townhouse to our very own house. In the first one, I lost the best card of my childhood for several months -- a 1985 Topps McGwire that I had autographed in person in October 1987. The second one, I lost my entire collection of baseballs -- including the ball that was the only foul ball I have caught on the fly during a game (Pudge Rodriguez hit it; Mariano Rivera pitched it). The card showed up in the bottom of my childhood closet; the balls in the back of my crawl space. And, much like you described, I had combed both my closet and the crawl space numerous times looking for them. Somehow they showed up in search #13.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I took bids on a card I might or might not have owned, but that might not be all that unusual.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I recently had one where I lost the list of cards I had been updating online for the last 6 years thru my aol email. Everytime I got a new player from the set I would add the name and erase the old email,worked well for 6 years but apparently in the last week or so I checked my latest update(which was from about 2 months ago) and then forgot to save the email as new. I now have about 250 cards to go thru and type out(in alphabetical order since there's no numbers)so I can have the list again. Needless to say,I won't find an old email I erased no matter how many times I look in the attic.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I've blundered in all manners...

1972 and 1973 Topps cards checklist was not updated and purchased doubles...

My type collection - I forgot that I had a E95 and bought another one...

I misplaced Joe DiMaggio autographed A's program..still don't know where the heck that went.

I misplaced a bunch of other autographed memorabilia..and that turned up later when I had forgotten it was moved to a separate box..found Ernie Banks and Don Sutton autographed cards and SF Giants yearbook signed by Jim Barr that I had all obtained in person as a little kid.

Ricky Y

Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

In the first grade I fell off the monkey bars onto my head, and spent two days in the hospital. In third grade, I spent some time in the hospital recovering from a concussion after I was kicked in the head while sledding down a snow covered mountain on an inner-tube. In fifth grade I was tackled playing football (no helmet since it was on the playground) and suffered a concussion and a bout of short-term amnesia. I'm sure I have had others, but those are the documented cases. I am not sure if they are "senior moments," brain damage, or alzheimers but I do have issues...

I lost my PSA 4 Walter Johnson T205. At this point I have no idea where it is at. I had sold it on EBay and when I went ot package it up, I couldn't find it. I had seen it just one week earlier. I knew it would show up. I can be a block head, but lost items generally always show up. It's been 15 months and no luck.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

actually, my fault, but I would prefer to blame an organization, or at least one of their competitive creations...

I have purchased a few duplicates for my relatively cheap PSA player collections, where the volume involved has become irritating!

Anyone want a PSA 9 1986 Topps Ozzie Smith?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

I broke my hip when I slipped on a T206 Emil Batch.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I told the buyer of my T209's the same thing. I kept him updated on their MIA status, daily. I told him there was a 95% chance I would find it...but the longer it went (it was only 5-6 days) the less I thought I might. I misplace cards often but I rarely actually lose them...take care

Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I wish I had enough Cards to Lose one.

Edited to remove OT Blunder

Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed McCollum

I had bid on, and won a signed team roster from the '98 Cardinals (1998, not 1898), for a game v. Milwaukee in which Mark McGwire hit his 65th home run. It was autographed by 11 of the players on the team, and donated by Tony LaRussa to an animal shelter in Beatrice, Nebraska for a silent auction. No one else bid, and I got it. It came in a large plastic holder, with a CoA from LaRussa's animal foundation and arrived in a FedEx envelope that it was shipped from him in. Last time I saw it was August, 2004, when we moved from Lincoln to Omaha. Not a clue of where it is now, as I've torn up every place it could be several times since then. Hoping when I move to the old age home, it will be found, but I probably won't remember what it is, or why I had it.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

There is a T206 Schlei (catching) somewhere around my desk area ......... where I do not know ......... I think it fell into a clutter black hole ........ if it worm holes it's way to anyone, please let me know ..

....... also have bought Ogden's Fitzsimmons 3 times, just like the card, and keep forgetting I own it already.

great thread, now where's my glasses ?????????

Old 09-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jrhatchjr

Since about 1990 I have been slowly climbing Mount Obak: all three series
of 426 total, excluding variations. I'm down to needing just one card to
reach the summit, but that's another story...

In early 2003, I won via ebay that last card I needed to complete the 1909
series: Ragan. I remember receiving the card, leaving feedback, and on and
on. Shortly thereafter I went through some personal problems and my
collecting went on hold for about two years. After I got my life in
something close to order I started to dip my toes into the collecting
waters again. One of the first things I did was take a look at my Obak
binder and was shocked to discover that my Ragan was missing! For several
months I searched for that card but couldn't find it. I looked through
piles and boxes and binders of cards over and over again but to no avail,
nearly going beserk in the process. After about a year of searching my
house and dealer inventories I did end up finding a replacement so my 1909
series was complete again.

Fast forward to early 2007. I decide my den is long overdue for a
cleaning, or at least an "organizing." My desk was in dire need so I
started there, thinking when it was clean I could put other piles of junk
on it I end up finding the invoice for the original Ragan card I had
originally purchased in 2003. Of course, finding this brought back angry
memories of me not being able to find the card. Well, wouldn't you know
it: that original card was underneath a few other paper scraps underneath
that invoice! Now I had two Ragans...and still have them to this day just
in case...

Cheers,
Jim

"I'd rather have a hole in my card than a hole in my collection any day."

Email: check_raze (at) yahoo.com

Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Bought a card on ebay that turned out to be one I already had. Offered it for less than what I paid to a board member who I knew needed the card. Never heard back. Oh well

Mislay cards all the time. When you're a card carrying senior these moments happen all the more frequently.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David G

I purchased 2 T207 Marquards within 24 hours of each other recently. Unfortunately, I do this far more often than one would think possible!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Senior moments??? Senior moments??? You guys call these "events" senior moments???

I just call it "Tuesday."

Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Poses

Recently, I was a victim of a fellow board member's senior moment and did my best to convince myself that the perpetrator hadn't absconded to a tropical island with a small amount of my cash and a common e96 in fair condition. Said board member finally located said darn card within a stack of slabbed cards; the card in question had managed to get stuck to the back of an SGC graded card...

I don't think my age qualifies me as a senior citizen (32) and I don't know if the following incident qualifies as senior or just careless, but about a year ago I had assembled 150 cards from the 1952 Bowman set- all were in great shape. No megastars, but it was still a valuable pile of cards. In typical me fashion, I grew tired of a set and wanted to dump all of them in one lot, so I put a listing on eBay and the cards sat, unprotected, in a stack in my desk drawer at work. I spilled a cup of coffee, which managed to runoff into the drawer and soil every card. Needless to say, I pulled the listing, contacted the bidders, and kicked myself.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MEWheat

I bought a Cy Young T205 in Ex condition off of a board member. I received several other cards the same day and somehow managed to throw the Young away in the packaging of the other cards. Never found it.

Survives for 100 years on its own; but get it in my hands for more than 5 minutes and it is gone in a cloud of smoke. Everytime I see a T205 Young it reminds me.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

ZachWheat...

If it makes you feel any better, just think how Barry Halper must've felt once he realized he'd thrown away the R306 Buttercream Babe Ruth he bought from Lew Lipset!

Steve

Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

(hence my eBay monocur) until I moved there. Now it's just called my life. My worst senoir moments in terms of collecting - are the times where I find something put away - that I was sure I had sold - that I wished I HAD sold - that I don't know HOW I'm gonna sell AGAIN (for the first time). Usually sumptin I overpaid for or is now in disfavor and hard to sell....

Old 09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

"just think how Barry Halper must've felt once he realized he'd thrown away the R306 Buttercream Babe Ruth he bought"

Kind of how I feel when I look at my balance sheet and then look at the business section for the latest news on which company lost how many millions last quarter. When I was a second year associate attorney I was the briefcase carrier at a trial for one of my bosses. I watched him lose a million dollar verdict and thought to myself, "Geez, I could do that; despite what the partners all say, this isn't so hard." Needless to say, I didn't stay at that job for long.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc