NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Default E90-1 : Advice on Mutilation and Expectations

Posted By: Paul S

Hi - I'm a short-time lurker and enjoy the board, learning much. I'm dusting off my collection -- nothing is graded, -- and could use your sage advice(s) re the scan below of some of my E90-1's. Yes, you are saying to your collected selves "Oh my" and "if only..." and worse. Well, I bought 40-odd of these at the same time decades ago, just the way you see them now, and would not have been able to afford them at all even then, as a kid, had they been more intact. Still...sigh...

Okay, what I hope you might be able to enlighten me about is: Is it reasonable for me to even expect the lowest number grade, or just an "authentic", and for just some or all? And, is it worth it to do so? Is it reasonable to assume that when the time comes to grade and sell (far flung future but I'll give a heads up), that there are collectors out there who would want some of what would normally be cost-prohibitive, but are more accessible, such as these? I've tried to give a representative assortment of punctures and other cardlike cruelties across the price range of what I have.

Thanks. - Paul

Old 05-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Hi Paul,

If the puncture wounds are the only problem with the cards you should be able to garner a 1 from PSA or GAI or a 10 from SGC. The Mathewson, Schaefer and one other, I forget, look small and may not be assigned a numerical grade.

I think we have seen cards in far worse condition. Good luck!

Greg

Old 05-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot York

Paul,
I would sell them as is and money back guarantee authenticity. Save the grading fees as they will probabely sell for about the same money for authentic/raw. In my opinion. P.S. Nice shooten !!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

The Joss also appears short

Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

As vintage cards continue to get ever more expensive, the market for off condition material will grow.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

I would sell the common players to pay for the grading fees of the Hall of Famers and the Chase card - a few look short, but make sure you get the authentic grade for them - the Cobb seems to be real bad with that much paper loss.

Good Luck

Jimmy

Old 05-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I shot the sheriff -but I didnt shoot those e90-1's

Old 05-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Thanks to all for your input. What's the best way to assign a price? Let the market determine through auction?
And what really ARE those holes? I always assumed they were nailed to a board to display as samples and the brown around the hole was rust. Not really bullet holes and powder burns, are they? I swear it wasn't my gun. By the way, slightly O/T -- I got these and other shot-through E-90s as a lot from Goodwin Goldfaden of ADCO fame -- who I came to know pretty well. I've seen his name on the boards from time to time. If some of the cards are short as well as punctured, maybe it was him...if you ever saw him handle cards you'd know of what I speak. - Paul S

Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

My advice would be to save your money on the grading fee's
and let the market determine what you'll end up with on the
cards.
You mention you've had these for decades, so even with the damage
to the cards, you'll still come out ahead of what you have into them
since the value has increased greatly since you originally got them.
Again, just my opinion. Good Luck!!!

Tony

Old 05-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Then I disagree completely with those who've recommended not getting them graded. Sent to SGC and in any holder they are willing to slab them in, you will inarguably get more at auction than the cost of the grading ($7 plus part of the overall shipping per card).
There are plenty of buyers for off-grade material, and the one thing grading them does is reassure those buyers that someone hasn't faked the aging process on the cards. This is especially so with cards like yours that display very similar wear, which often is a red flag of a seller who just mocks up aging a group of cards with the same techniques stupidly repeated card to card.

But it's great to see a grouping like yours which has survived together for so long, and 'enjoyed' the travails of an earlier collector to still be of enjoyment to new owners!

Daniel

Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Regardless of condition, if they are slabbed and you plan to ebay them you should do much better graded than not.